Possible engine problem in a Mustang, anyone willing to take a look? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 18th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Possible engine problem in a Mustang, anyone willing to take a look?

A friend of mine wants to buy a Mustang convertible that we have used on and off since 1994, mostly to take to the train station...otherwise it has just been sitting.

Apparently there was some issue with engine power a few times going up hill. Otherwise It was driving fine, but I don't want to sell it to him without having it checked out. I know nothing about these. We bought this new and it has really never had a problem and I have hardly driven it.

Anyone with any knowledge of these want to take it for a ride around the block for me? I don't want to spend any more money on it...we got a new top for $1500 not so long ago. I would feel awful if he bought it and it had a major problem.

The car is in Westchester, I could give anyone a ride to and from in the td5 or 300tdi...maybe it could be a good comparison for someone in the market for a defender (trying to come up with a perk here for doing a favor).

It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:32 PM
rwillms
Robert Willms
1995 NAS D90 Soft Top

after sitting and loss of power under load (which is what happens on a hill) - i would check fuel delivery - start with the filter and check the flow

just a thought
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:27 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Try a sledge hammer.
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2012, 07:06 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I'd be more than happy to take a look but far from making it to westchester anytime soon. The 5.0 is pretty simple and reliable if that's what you have. (unless you have a v6). As mentioned start with a basic tune up. Plugs filters distributor/rotor/points etc. there are thousands of mustang forums for good info. Check corral.net for good tech advice. Good news even if it needed a new engine ... Which im sure it doesnt ....they are as common and sand at the beach. And parts are cheap! Most expensive part would be injectors if they were fouled up. But even that won't be too bad
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The amount of power it has could be covering up a loss of power the owner doesn't notice until going uphill.
However the uphill part adds in what I suspect to be fuel starvation. Check fuel pressure and filter. Throw in some techron while you are at it. Nothing wrong with going through air filter coil plugs etc

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Appreciate the help very much, thank you. yes, it is the 5.0. I'm going to check the fuel pressure, filter, flow etc this weekend.

Adrian, if you are in the area shoot me a message. He wants to pick it up next week but I am putting it off until I make sure there is no issue.

Thanks again.
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:45 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01
Appreciate the help very much, thank you. yes, it is the 5.0. I'm going to check the fuel pressure, filter, flow etc this weekend.

Adrian, if you are in the area shoot me a message. He wants to pick it up next week but I am putting it off until I make sure there is no issue.

Thanks again.
Will do. But I prob won't be there for at least 2 weeks. I'll let ya know if anything changes

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
engine