Possibilites of this happening? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 29th, 2005, 08:11 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Possibilites of this happening?

So my wife and I wanna trade up my '95 90 (ST) and her '01 Disco 2 (SE7) for a '97 90 wagon...think I could do it and get some cash back for it?

To answer the obvious:
Needs of my truck- clutch MC, tailpipe, new top, but otherwise in fair shape (115K miles)
Needs of hers- Rotors/brakes (have parts but no time), tires (55K miles)

Follow-up Post:

Follow up: Doesn't this smell fishy?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/DEFENDER-90-NAS-L...spagenameZWDVW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

I don't think it's fishy, actually. I met the owner of that truck at Rover Accessories awhile back. He was asking how much it might be worth. Everything sounded legit.
Old November 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Hmmm, maybe I'll check into it then. Just couldn't figure out how it was a '95 with auto tranny...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2005, 11:27 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You mean sell two and get one? Take them both in to trade somewhere? If I knew your rationale better I might be able to offer a slightly less uniformed opinion.
Old November 30th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I'm with Jim on this one. Why on earth would you trade two vehicles for one? - one of which is practically the same as the one you're going for. I'm sure you have a perfect reason behind this but I don't get it. What are you trying to accomplish?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:51 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
You should keep your rovers and get em fixed. at least you will know what you have gotten yourself into and there isnt potential disaster with a "new" defender.
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Jesse, I asked the owner about the auto tranny, and he explained it as a subsequent conversion.
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:20 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Trevor,
Thanks for that. It has peaked our interests. I'll keep watching it for now.

I appreciate all the responses.

Basically we're trying to figure out how to become a 2 car family (I have a Jetta too as a commuter) and keep a Defender. Mine is less reliable than I would like to have my wife drive everyday and I'm thinking a lower mileage wagon (also happens to be what she's always wanted) would be a bit more reliable and not enter into the "nickel and dime" age that mine is in. I know with Defenders you can never tell what you're going to get, and I LOVE mine (and want to keep a Defender in the driveway)!

But, there's a new development. It looks as though the new plan may be to sell her truck and sink some money into mine (YES!) to get it more reliable.
I'll keep everyone updated, and does anyone want a Disco 2?
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:31 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
sink the money into yours
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yep, you're just in that stage in a vehicle's life when lots of stuff needs doing. At between 150-200k miles, most major systems in a vehicle need going over in some way. To do a thorough mechanical overhaul on a defender (being generous and replacing the trans, t case, rebuilding or replacing the engine and replacing every bushing, shock, and spring in the suspension) might cost 6-8k depending on whether you write checks or do the work yourself (and all that doesnt have to be done at the same time of course). Most people balk at spending 8k on fixing up an old vehicle but dont bat an eye at sinking thousands into depreciation on a new car. I've had 3 new cars and I'm so fed up with losing 50% value in two-three years that I've had it. So I've lost 36k on depreciation over the course of the new cars I bought. I've spent about that to buy and totally fix up my defender, and it will return much better than 50% of my investment if I decided to get rid of it. Moreover I consider our Rover to be an expression of my distaste for consumption. Instead of getting a new car I just keep recycling this one, and the consumption ideal was part of my rationale for the diesel conversion - I just feel more socially responsible using less that half the fuel and running biodiesel when I can get it.

Thats my rant, youre welcome. Its just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:59 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Low mileage is not reliable. Sink the money. A well maintained high mile d-90 will serve you better.
Old November 30th, 2005, 05:43 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Yep, you're just in that stage in a vehicle's life when lots of stuff needs doing. At between 150-200k miles, most major systems in a vehicle need going over in some way. To do a thorough mechanical overhaul on a defender (being generous and replacing the trans, t case, rebuilding or replacing the engine and replacing every bushing, shock, and spring in the suspension) might cost 6-8k depending on whether you write checks or do the work yourself (and all that doesnt have to be done at the same time of course). Most people balk at spending 8k on fixing up an old vehicle but dont bat an eye at sinking thousands into depreciation on a new car. I've had 3 new cars and I'm so fed up with losing 50% value in two-three years that I've had it. So I've lost 36k on depreciation over the course of the new cars I bought. I've spent about that to buy and totally fix up my defender, and it will return much better than 50% of my investment if I decided to get rid of it. Moreover I consider our Rover to be an expression of my distaste for consumption. Instead of getting a new car I just keep recycling this one, and the consumption ideal was part of my rationale for the diesel conversion - I just feel more socially responsible using less that half the fuel and running biodiesel when I can get it.

Thats my rant, youre welcome. Its just my opinion, I could be wrong.
I totally agree, now if I could just get my wife to agree with that and not want a new vehicle.
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:13 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

sell her's and sink every penny into fixing the defender... do I hear the grumbling of a diesel engine in your driveway?
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:20 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I think it's more of a purrr actually...
The best part of going diesel is I have a couple of contacts on biodiesel and could feasibly make it in the backyard.

It's funny, my wife's been reading these too and she just said to me, "Isn't that what I just said?" I'm telling you, one by one we're converting the better halves on this board.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:40 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
I think it's more of a purrr actually...
The best part of going diesel is I have a couple of contacts on biodiesel and could feasibly make it in the backyard.

It's funny, my wife's been reading these too and she just said to me, "Isn't that what I just said?" I'm telling you, one by one we're converting the better halves on this board.

It's because when they drive them, lots of guys trip all over themselves to compliment and/or ask questions. Who doesn't like to feel hot?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat