Portable Welders--Ready Welder II - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Portable Welders--Ready Welder II

First, this sale has NOTHING to do with me other than I bought one. I have been looking at Ready Welders for years and ran across this deal on ebay so I bought one--they had 5, as of today they have 3 left. At $389 including freight for a welder that can do steel and aluminum off car batteries (or power sources like my Millermatic 175), I could not pass it up. I will use it as my spool gun for aluminum off my welder as well as my trail welder. Again, just passing on what I think is a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9582&rd=1&rd=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I wish I had seen this yesterday... I have a premier power welder that I have yet to install, this would make a very nice compliment to it, as I am not very good at stick welding.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey, Chris!

Has yours shown up yet?
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yeah, I got mine, have it all loaded and ready to go. I am going to play with it this week. I also called General Air for Argon so I can finally weld aluminum. I will post my impressions later on...
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Sweeet! I just got my shipping notification yesterday. I was beginning to worry. I can't wait til mine shows up!

A belated thanks for the heads-up!

Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

What kind of alternator do you need to have something like this? I am considering it, but don't want to replace my alternator again. I am currently at 140 amps. Also, I heard that you need 24v minimum to make it work right. Is that true?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

With this type of welder you pull the batteries out of the vehicle and weld directly off the power of the batteries. I've seen the other type that you are thinking of, Dave. I believe those systems are much more involved, and pricier. I just figured it's not like I'm going to be welding every time I'm out on the trail so this ought to be good enough. It will also make a nice spool gun for the welder at home.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
With this type of welder you pull the batteries out of the vehicle and weld directly off the power of the batteries. I've seen the other type that you are thinking of, Dave. I believe those systems are much more involved, and pricier. I just figured it's not like I'm going to be welding every time I'm out on the trail so this ought to be good enough. It will also make a nice spool gun for the welder at home.
Oh,

Thats much better for me too. I didn't know that these existed. So you just carry it in the case on the trail? How much welding can you do before you kill the battery?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Good question....
That's one of the things I intend to find out when it shows up. I thought I'd putter with it in the driveway on some scrap and see how long it takes to stop running a decent bead, then throw the batteries back in the truck and see if it would start! It seems like it would take more to weld than turn over an engine, but we'll see.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have heard that you can get about 20 mins of welding... Or you can hook it up to a Premier Power Welder and go all day, or until you run out of gas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat