Porsche service question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Porsche service question

Daughter needs a 60k service on her 2006 Cayenne S.

They're just outside Charlotte NC.

Dealer has quoted a not surprising $1,100 price tag.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

KAA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Copple
Chris Copple
None

I have a 996, had a Boxster before that. Look at what's included with the 60k service. The majority of stuff you can do yourself (ie oil/fluid changes, spark plugs, etc..). With my car I did everything but the serpentine belt and the plugs. You can also save some money by buying all of the associated parts elsewhere and just having the dealer do the labor. Call Sunset Porsche (503-641-8600) as they only change cost plus 10%.

A lot of people seem to be hesitant to do their own maintenance on a Porsche just because of the name on the hood. They're actually pretty easy to work on (just replaced my water pump a few weekends ago for $300 in parts vs the $1,200ish from the dealer).

You can also find some more help on rennlist.com

Good luck,
Chris
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:53 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Thanks Chris...I know I could do it...but they're in NC and I'm in Des Moines

I'd forgotten about the rennlist...thanks for the reminder.

KAA ... the last time a Porsche lived at my house it was 1968...I was eleven...it was a 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copple View Post
I have a 996, had a Boxster before that. Look at what's included with the 60k service. The majority of stuff you can do yourself (ie oil/fluid changes, spark plugs, etc..). With my car I did everything but the serpentine belt and the plugs. You can also save some money by buying all of the associated parts elsewhere and just having the dealer do the labor. Call Sunset Porsche (503-641-8600) as they only change cost plus 10%.

A lot of people seem to be hesitant to do their own maintenance on a Porsche just because of the name on the hood. They're actually pretty easy to work on (just replaced my water pump a few weekends ago for $300 in parts vs the $1,200ish from the dealer).

You can also find some more help on rennlist.com

Good luck,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2012, 01:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Pelican Parts I believe has a list of independents. Nearly every town has a good porsche independent as people keep them a long time and my perception is many owners do not DIY as much as rover people.
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
That's because most rover people are poor good ol boys
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:53 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

used to be a shop in Indian Trail, just outside Clt, but I have been out of touch with that crowd for 20 years. Sure do miss it sometimes though- lowered 930 w/ widened track and the tail waggin the dog ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:17 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Thanks Dale...I told them that they should have bought that Defender from you instead

Keith
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:09 PM
rovertrader
Dale

no worries Keith- the 130 is nearly finished, and might consider a partial trade ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Renntech.org has a wealth of good knowledge if you're considering the DIY route, or even checking up on what the dealer is telling you. :
http://www.renntech.org/forums/forum...yenne-turbo-s/

My current Porsche is under warranty until 2014 so thankfully I haven't had any worries lately, but my previous (older) P-cars were serviced by a mix of independents, factory dealerships and myself depending on what was involved. My experience with the dealer is that they tend to err on the side of being over -thorough as a practice (probably to cover their ass) but also because that is the coolaid that Porsche has them drinking.

Thing about Porsche (Cayenne in particular) is that there is a price to pay when you are bending the laws of physics. Cayennes handle like a 5-series because they have high-end consumables (pads/rotors etc.), then you have super high pressure puel delivery for the direct injection (well, maybe not on an '06) and shitty coolant pipes that were hopefully already replaced. What I'm trying to say here is that if you cheap out on maintenance or put it off you might as well get rid of it because things are only going to get worse.

You didn't mention if it was getting pads/rotors or even if the plugs are scheduled to be replaced. Coil packs may need to be replaced and these things add up quickly. $1,100 may seem like a lot of money, but not addressing a Porsche's recommended service is probably more expenive in the long haul. The service intervals for my '09 TTS is probably different, but not by much and I think the 60k service is a biggie in terms of the overall scope.

I hate to say this and don't mean it to sound punchy, but if she doesn't want $1,100 service bills every other year then Lexus makes a pretty capable SUV. You have to pay to play!
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:19 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
no worries Keith- the 130 is nearly finished, and might consider a partial trade ;-)

See kids, all you have to do is turn "right" at the end of the driveway instead of "left" and go see Dale

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:01 PM
grendel
Scott Goforth

I had work done by EuroWerks in Indian trail. Probably the same guy Dale used. I think his name was Jim Burton. Honest guy with resonable prices. I'm not sure if he is still in the same location as that was many years ago. Hope this helps.
Scott
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Thanks kids,

She got a quote from Eurowerks that was the same as the dealership...she decided to take it to the dealer.

I suppose the only plus to that is the nifty loaner that she's got for the day...no one else wanted the 6-sp car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jordan's loaner.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	47989  
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
rovertrader
Dale

Tell her to come on out, test drive something here for the day, and I'll run down to Kershaw for a quick track day ;-)

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:42 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

No dice, she's having too much fun as it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P-car.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	47997  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
service