Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 19th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee View Post
Any input on these? We're planning on a baby soon and the wife won't drive a minivan. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

If I could sum it " RUN FORREST RUUUNNN "

speaking of Minivan, have you ever been inside an R500 4-Matic ? maybe take Mrs Lynchee to the dealer ..
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:29 PM
MikeRuby
Mike Ruby
'95 D90 #2523

My '06 GTS was the worst POS car of my driving career... Horrible AWD system that ate tires like they were a bag of Oreos, computer problems, triptronic sucked... let's see, what else? Like everyone has already said, it sucked for cargo space... My college Volvo R had more functional space, and was way more fun to drive... bottom line, I would stay far far away from the Cayenne...
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:35 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I have 3 kids (and 2 dogs) and have had a bunch of SUV/Wagons over the years. Here's my 2 cents on a few of them:

Cayenne - my bro-in-law had one and yes it is nice and fast but I remember everytime I saw it, the Cayenne had a bubble on one of the tires or the rims were scrapped. My kids would have demolished the interior within a week.

Disco 2, 3, 4 - Had a Disco 2 and it was a decent kid rig and the interior never seemed dirty (tan). Had it when we only had 2. Have driven an LR4 a bunch and they are nice! Layout would make a good kid rig.

MB E500 Wagon - my wife had one before the L322 and that thing was great. It would shit and get on the highway and would yield decent mileage for a V8. Interior was semi-easy to keep clean. Kids loved the 3rd row rear facing seats. With all the SUV's out there it was cool being a little different. Add a Thule box if you need more room - it will be easy as pie to get the contents in and out as they sit pretty low.

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ100 (or whatever the one prior to the current version) - nice kid rig with the foldup 3rd row seating. Good driving vehicle. We blew the tranny on ours but other than that nothing else went wrong. The grey interior was hard to keep looking clean. I've driven the newest version Lexus and it feels bigger than my 'burban and just feel too bulky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
BTW nothing wrong with a good old suburban/yukon/'sclade. My father is about to hit 300k miles on his suburban and let's just say his total repairs are less than what I do in 1/10th the miles on a rover. Basically he put on a radiator, cats, and one diff seal and that is it! He even gets 60-80k out of a set of tires.
Bingo. We are on our 3rd Suburban and I love the thing (well save for parrellel parking in town). Just like evil said - nothing wrong with them and the current platform is great. Repair bills are cheap compared to anything else. I go to the dealer every 3k miles and it's like $40 each time. I'll need tires soon but the clock is closing in at 45k and I drive the snots out of the thing. MPG - I get 13 around town and that is with a bunch of idling. I did a trip to ME this summer and averaged 19 MPG and that was going 75MPH. I was solo and had no weight but was pretty surprised. We do 17MPG going to VT in the winter fully loaded and I mean stuff to the roof loaded.

You don't want too nice of a car for hauling kids. They will eff up everything in their path and even when they are strapped into a car seat you will be amazed at what they can still do.

For 1-2 kids - get a Tahoe or Yukon. LTZ or Denali if you want all the extras. First thing is to get the WeatherTech rubber mats - your stress level when they spill a bottle of milk will be much lower. For more kids get the 'Burban or XL. Please - do not get the 'scalde.

As a bonus - a Taho or 'burb will easily tow a 90 and/or haul sizable parts like axles or trannys.

I have said it before but if Chevy put a diesel in them and had a rubber rear interior option they would be just about perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2012, 09:46 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Well thanks for talking me out of it. I just started looking, but she loves our friends xc90. I don't need anything huge. I have a Dodge diesel for hauling and it's my DD. Guess we'll check out the LR4's.
Thanks for all the input guys.
Old September 19th, 2012, 09:47 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

There was a nice picture floating around here years ago -- a Cayenne stuck on wet grass.
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:03 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

this past weekend at the Solaros SAE event - a 540 HP Cayenne Turbo S wading creeks and climbing rock ledges in North Georgia:

Old September 19th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

I have an xc90 (wife) and touareq tdi (mine). I hate the Volvo and wife doesn't love it either. Ergonomics blow and my 9 year old pilot had more features and creature comforts than the Volvo. We got the v6 which is a mistake as its a dog. The 3rd row seats were designed by a complete idiot. Never again.

Treg diesel is da bomb. 25mpg. But limited room in the back compared to other options. My kids are middle/high school age so we use the Thule carrier on trips when needed.

We plan to replace the volvo soon. I would definitely consider an LR4 (used).

FWIW - that 2004 Honda pilot i had was the best car I've ever owned. It just did everything well and never needed anything done to it. It's a glorified minivan but a great kid vehicle. And I can't explain how or why but that thing rocked in the snow and ice regardless of what tires I had on it.

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:20 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee
She loves 03/4 discos. I'm afraid of the LR3's. Maybe we'll look at them
I love my '03... But they suck as a family truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 20th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Couldn't be happier with our 100 series cruiser. It's my DD, 2 kid and border collie hauler, dead reliable, comfortable, easy to work on, etc.
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
If you already have a big Dodge diesel then a LR3 or LR4 would be a nice addition to the line up.

I still think a Tahoe might be worth a look - it might be even better MPG wise - compared to an LR4 and cost off ownership should be cheaper. I actually like the GM analog dash and dvd/nav/xm better than the current LR stuff.
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:38 AM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
For a family hauler, I agree the Tahoe or Suburban is a good choice. We have an '03 Tahoe with 160k mikes and it still runs well. Other than routine maintenance the only thing I have had to do was a fuel pump. My wife is looking to replace it within the next year or so. She likes the Audi Q7, but I bet she buys another Tahoe.
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
+1 for the LR3, but I would recommend an '08 or newer. Mine has been great- still has a warranty- silver over black and has a brush guard & a spare set of rims with studded snow tyres. Might be for sale if it's what you're looking for?
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Definitely check out the LR4s. I can't say enough for that vehicle. I drive the RR, but personally, I hate the Tahoe/QX/LX etc, they just feel too huge to drive around, particularly if you live in an urban area. That really is more personal opinion though I suppose.

The LR4 is extremely functional, has great power, is amazing in the snow, has great new features like the iPod and USB Integrations, the turning radius is phenomenal, and it is super easy to drive while maintaining enough room for adults in the third row. Plus, the Service History on them has been incredible, I hardly see them in service except for Scheduled Maintenance, Brakes and Tires.

The Cayenne is an extremely rough ride, does eat tires, is expensive, lacks cargo space, isn't real easy or intuitive to operate and is expensive to maintain. Imagine driving a 911 on stilts. It carries the Porsche name though and is fast, if that is what you're looking for.

The GL is a great vehicle, but again, the features and controls are not intuitive or easy to operate. My biggest personal pet peeve with it is that there is a ton of body roll, considerably more than my full size, which leaves me with a very unsettling feeling when making turns or emergency maneuvers.

The R Class is a phenomenally spacious vehicle! It has a ton of back seat and cargo area, but it looks like a hearse and I've heard some horror stories from a couple of clients about the maintenance once they are out of Factory Warranty. If you can put up with the Bizarre MB Controls/Electronics and don't mind the appearance, it is definitely worth a look, but make sure you have warranty while you plan to own it.

The GX is a nice vehicle, but a little girly for a guy to drive and the latest version has no 3rd row space to speak of. I'm only 5'7" and I can't wedge myself in there comfortably enough to go to dinner let alone any place further.

If the '12 LR4 is in the budget, the New "Say What You See Voice Control" is phenomenal, and the Navigation Displays Traffic too!
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:23 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I love the tahoes/suburban, and they are great vehicles especially for family's, but can we please stop giving these housewives these damn suburbans, i watch these incompetent women try to maneuver them into and out of parking spots or to just drive around in general and its quite terrible.
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:30 AM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

Took our son home from the hospital in my wife's 08 LR3. Great kid hauler, though the bulky car seats can stretch the limits of the back seat. We have a GL now. I'm not a fan as it's not as comfortable to sit in and it drives more like a car. My son has a hoot in my Merc C63, but his real love is dada' truck -- i.e. the Landy!

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
So, I can tell you right away that it is not enough cargo area for baby apparatus in the back
This is from somebody with 3-years of seat time in a '09 turbo S.
Don't get me wrong, the ride is all that it is cracked up to be (but remember the Turbo S is a completely different animal than a base Cayenne or even the "S", and it would hang with any normally-aspirated 911, M3 or M5 at a track) Just for the record, I said "hang with" NOT eat, or crush a 911.

When the tires are fresh and warm the TTS feels like a slot car despite it's bloated weight.

HOWEVER.......all of these miraculous performance stats mean nothing when you're hauling around the kiddos. I mean are you really going to push it? even on the off chance that you're driving it without a kid in the car, what's the point? it's wifey's car and unless you're married to Sabine Schmitz (lucky bastard!), then I think a Cayenne of any badging would be a waste of money for a family hauler. One trip to the family's for THanksgiving with your baby stuff and god forbid another passenger, you'll be frowning.

My wife's X3 has more capacity.

I can't speak to LR3 or LR4 ownership aside from a know a few friends' wives drive them and seem to have plenty of room.

I'd normally plug any type of Porsche ownership, but as something that you're going to use as a kid-hauler a Cayenne is just not a great choice unless you guys travel light.
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee View Post
She loves 03/4 discos. I'm afraid of the LR3's. Maybe we'll look at them
LR3s are fantastic. My '05 just rolled past 130,000 miles and is going strong after its first real major service (new shocks, front control arms, a few seals here and there, etc). This is even with me taking it out bashing around in the dirt on a regular basis as well. Just keep up on the routine maintenance and it'll keep on trucking. Avoid the '05s as they did have a few teething problems, and there were electronics upgrades for 06+, and a trim upgrade on the 08+.

Cargo room is fantastic, baby seat access is good, and the trim is easy to clean when they decide to spray juice box everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	309601_10150458623204772_655740036_n.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	57878  
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:56 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Don't get me wrong, the ride is all that it is cracked up to be (but remember the Turbo S is a completely different animal than a base Cayenne or even the "S", and it would hang with any normally-aspirated 911, M3 or M5 at a track) Just for the record, I said "hang with" NOT eat, or crush a 911.
Jackie's right on this. I raced a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S at BIR a few years ago and on the main straightaway, it would gain a car length on the straight over a Z06 Corvette on every lap. It was much slower around the corners though. I was talking to the Z06 driver at lunch and he said, "That Porsche Cayenne is sick."
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:12 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Dang, that hard to believe.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
kpmatt00
Matthew Mozelak
1985 D-90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaDallasD90 View Post
I just sold a 2011 RR Sport and the cargo area is pretty small. I'd much rather have a nice certified pre-owned big Range Rover with a warranty than another Sport, though its cargo area isn't that large either. I loved my 2007 X5 4.4, and a friend's similar 2012 is a fantastic vehicle...but again, short on rear storage. My 2008 Escalade could swallow a house with the rear seats out but was a pain to park and handled like the truck that it is. I'd look at the restyled 2013 M-B GL that they're about to release for a great combination of cargo space, features, and safety.
I have to agree - Having owned a RRS and now a GL - you cannot even compare the room in the 2nd row and also the rear storage space - also I have the diesel MB which gets decent milage compared the the sc RRS, if that means anything. The RRS doesn't even have a usable center console, unless you are keeping a bottle of milk cold for the baby! I have never owned a Cayanne but looked enough to know that non-adjusting 2nd row and tiny rear storage = daily driver for dad to work.

GL drives smaller than say a Tahoe as well fwiw.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat