Poll: modern or classic look? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

View Poll Results: 1983-1988 Defender, classic or modern look?
Completely redone and modern look 14 25.93%
Classic original non metallic paint (redone) 40 74.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Tophat
Oliver
All sorts of Defenders

Poll: modern or classic look?

Okay, bit curious, what is liked more;

1983-1988 Defender, completely redone and modern look, or the classic original non metallic paint( again, redone) with or without county striping?

Bad-ass off-road wheels or original steel wheels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2013, 12:11 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

You'll get different opinions from others, but I like period correct colors and despite the propensity for the big city folks to embrace bling wheels, I favor steel.
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Tophat
Oliver
All sorts of Defenders

I meant not bling wheels like the 22" chrome wheels, but more wheels like ZU Wheels, or Boost wheels with chunky tyres
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2013, 12:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I like original. Wheel are no big deal, but I cry a single tear every time an original two tone early 110 gets new paint and doors and a new interior -- except the carpets which suck.
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:19 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I really dig the classic colors that I have seen even brown (actually it might be my favorite as its the same color as dirt, haha). OG patina gets the nod too including the stripes. Some of the repaints take away from the truck especially when the insides are a totally different color.

Not sure what new wheels you mean but I like steelies with decent meat. Skinny steelies with 255s and 285s and Disco 7" steels for 315s.

The only updates I like is more modern shaped seats, a Mud UK dash that is done clean with VDO analog gauges and new rubber matted interior. And a cage for safety reasons.
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:27 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophat View Post
I meant not bling wheels like the 22" chrome wheels, but more wheels like ZU Wheels, or Boost wheels with chunky tyres
IMO chrome, ZU, Boost etc. are all the same...
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I added a public poll for you. I prefer the classic look with exposed galvy
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Classic look with 33's on black steelies. No chrome.
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
agreed!
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
33s are prole.

32s are where they are.
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
NO Chrome, galvanize trim as it left the factory. a good solid colour paintwork works

Not a fan of the Land Rover Chelsea tractor set, these have been and still are working vehicles that can look good.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I like both but plan on going with an updated look for my 90. It's got an ugly respray from the UK so there's not much original to ruin. I think the original look is more suited to Series trucks
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:57 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Modern Defenders look Classic... They never changed them!
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 8th, 2013, 06:19 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
33s are prole.

32s are where they are.
Damn, if 33s are prole (yes, I did have to look the word up), then how bad are 35s?

But, I somewhat agree with you but my thinking is as long as the offest isn't -15 and the tires fit within the fender flares I don't think it looks too horrible.

Off-road, there is a big difference between what a 32" and a 33" (and espeically a 35") will do.

I thought this 110 in brown on 255's and steelies looked treats. It was on ebay a couple weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3_Door_110_with_255s.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	71867  
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:33 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I have the same issue, part of me says stay original but part of me says modernize. My 110 is trident green and white and I'm not a huge fan of the trident, reminds me of my parents bathroom decor back in the 80's.

I think Brett USAdventureracing has the best of both worlds with the two tone, white in the normal places but metallic red on the rest.

The stock steelies to me feel like they are missing the ford dog dish hubcaps lol.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post

Damn, if 33s are prole (yes, I did have to look the word up), then how bad are 35s?

But, I somewhat agree with you but my thinking is as long as the offest isn't -15 and the tires fit within the fender flares I don't think it looks too horrible.

Off-road, there is a big difference between what a 32" and a 33" (and espeically a 35") will do.

I thought this 110 in brown on 255's and steelies looked treats. It was on ebay a couple weeks ago.
I am by no means an expert off roader. I wheeled a pretty decently built disco and my D90 the first time I owned it and my series a bit. Certainly there is some marginal advantage to 33 (or 35) over 32in tires, but my personal experience was that my lift made the truck worse off road (stiffer made it more likely to lift a wheel and lose traction) and bigger tires makes them more of a dog on road and compromised braking distance.

I think rover, for the most part, got it right with stock performance -- at least with the V8 -- on and off road and look (corrosion resistance is an entirely different matter).

The best mods in my view are (1) corrosion resistance (galvy frame, bulkhead, cappings, t-pieces, shock turrets, fuel tank skid place), (2) lockers, (3) winch with modest bumper, (4) minor protection (sliders, front diff guard, HD track rod, fuel tank skid plate).

Sure you can get all the expo cool stuff, fit boosts, and paint your 8X the newest metallic pearl and fit the fancy dash board and new front end etc and make it look like a new one, but are you really better off than the classic look? Do you really need 35in tires to get through some obstical or would it kill you to take the bypass or pull out the winch?

Anyway, long story short, keep it original but make it better and make it last. That is the way I am building my 110 and how I am trying to develop my 90.
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:47 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
I am by no means an expert off roader. I wheeled a pretty decently built disco and my D90 the first time I owned it and my series a bit. Certainly there is some marginal advantage to 33 (or 35) over 32in tires, but my personal experience was that my lift made the truck worse off road (stiffer made it more likely to lift a wheel and lose traction) and bigger tires makes them more of a dog on road and compromised braking distance.

I think rover, for the most part, got it right with stock performance -- at least with the V8 -- on and off road and look (corrosion resistance is an entirely different matter).

The best mods in my view are (1) corrosion resistance (galvy frame, bulkhead, cappings, t-pieces, shock turrets, fuel tank skid place), (2) lockers, (3) winch with modest bumper, (4) minor protection (sliders, front diff guard, HD track rod, fuel tank skid plate).

Sure you can get all the expo cool stuff, fit boosts, and paint your 8X the newest metallic pearl and fit the fancy dash board and new front end etc and make it look like a new one, but are you really better off than the classic look? Do you really need 35in tires to get through some obstical or would it kill you to take the bypass or pull out the winch?

Anyway, long story short, keep it original but make it better and make it last. That is the way I am building my 110 and how I am trying to develop my 90.
I don't have a ton of off-road experience myself (hell, I haven't been in the dirt in low-range save for my small "test track" in over a year) but have run my 90 in various stages over the years and have built my NAS to where last time it was out it did real well in my mind. Additionally it handles on the road pretty well.

I agree with alot that you are saying. And your list is what I would recommend modification wise as well. I wouldn't have thought to say run galvy stuff first, but I see why given that Land Rover frames seem to be designed to trap moisture and dirt and once in it is a royal PITA to get out. I also have the theory of keep it low and no need for a ton of expo gear and racks (gets hung up in the trees from what I've seen) and even 35"s will fit with a 2" lift (just change out bump-stops and trim the flares).

The only thing we differ on is tire size and not by much either. I agree bigger tires might be too much for certain motors and then you have to regear and the braking might not be as good. But I noticed that the winch line doesn't come out until you are real good and stuck. And you might push the vehicle a lot to try and make it and that's when things break. Also, I noticed last time I was out a Disco with 235's MTR/K's was packing up in the treads more than my 315's MTR/K's due to the tighter voids. And the little more clearance of the 35"s let me get thru some sections more smoothly and I wasn't grabbing rocks on the lower shocks mounts or center diffs. But I have a relatively light and low NAS 90, 3.9, and manual gearbox.

Anyways - I'm sure we can agree that the early Defenders are a great platform for an off-road truck: simple motors, some dents/patina on the body to not worry about, bare-bones interior that is easy to clean/remove things to fix. Tires aren't really that big of a deal and in reality it comes down to driving style and picking the right line :
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

I think it depends on the truck. Classic look will always be cool. Especially Series trucks. They should always be OEM colors with steel wheels. The Defender if early with lever handles should remain vintage. However if a driver wants a daily with modern amenities the right combination of paint choice mixed with interior aesthetics and exterior trim details brings our Iconic Landys up to date. I like both, depends on what I want to drive that day. My wife loves the Himalaya, but she also loved to drive the old bronze green series. Chrome is not Land rover.
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
33s are prole.

32s are where they are.
Love it! Prole is so under utilized

More to the point, I can appreciate both looks, but never any "bling"
Loved the look of my old 110 (the one jjstahl has FS now) with original Stratos blue paint and original County stripes. In fact, everyone loved that truck.

I like my current 110 for different reasons (mostly because I drive it every day and its more comfy and fast), but its hardly "modern" like a puma or one of those BLR creations.
I do think that non-metallic colors look best on any Defender with the exception of Willow Green. I think Willow or Arles are my favorite.

I draw the line at those BLR douchewagons with 22" wheels though, you couldn't give one of those to me.
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:45 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Old school all the way. Land Rovers evoke an emotional response for me. Sure I have an LR3 and it's great. But what's the point in upgrading an 80's era truck with TD5 interior/exterior/etc if it still drives like an 80's truck? Keep it honest, keep it original.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
classic