POE top with Safety Devices Rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 11th, 2007, 11:31 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

POE top with Safety Devices Rack

I don't know how many people are running a Safety Device rack with a POE top, but I though I would give you my thoughts on it.

I recently bought the rack figuring the rear ladder would fit fine and the rack would go on top like it should, but my suspicions about the front support bars was true. I knew that the front rollcage that goes over the window was a one off piece custom to the POE tops. My initial thoughts were that the rollcage supports would be too tight to the top to allow the feet to clamp on...I was right! But there was also another thing I didn't factor in. Both front support bars are the same. Same height, and length, yet the rollcage bit slopes upward as it goes from the front to back. It goes up about an inch so the second support would not fit in there.

I figured I would leave it out for now, and take out that little 1 inch block between the bar and feet of the support and get some modified feet made up that would be more like a hinged C clamp to go around the bar and hook into the support bar.

In all I think it looks sweet on the truck and will help out with the bikes and snowboards! Also I just banded myself from every parking garage known to man.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	11008   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	11009  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	11010   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	11011  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Too bad its so much trouble. What lift do you have on there? I like the way your truck sits, looks good!
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:16 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
are those 35" please do tell more about your truck
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Thanks a lot Andrew!

Suspension: 3 inch Rovertym springs. Land Rover top and bottom rubber isolators. EE spring retainers on all 4 corners. Rockware rear shock mounts. Rover Hybrids front external mounts. 14 inch Bilstein 7100 SB w/ remote res all around. Rovertym rear links. working on getting a 3-link in....but you know how Safari Gard is.

Wheels: 315/75 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains on LR Boost alloys.

it rides great. I think the i need to re-valve the Bilsteins to 275/78 instead of 360/80. other than that it handles great on the road and feels good so far off road. the front sits a tad higher than the rear because the springs are set for a large bumper and winch. once i have a winch in there i bet it will even out nicely.
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Roof Rack

Daniel

I believe if your get the correct "FEET" that you will find that you can in fact use both factory roof rack rails with no issues. The factory feet are built up and serve the purpose of the 1" square tube shown in your photo. The rear support does run fairly close to the hardtop. On my SW it prohibits opening the sunroof all the way. I took a factory roof rack off of a POE a few years back and then re-installed it. Used all the same factory pieces my personal truck has. If I recall correctly, the factory roof rack kit came with round spacers that were to be used with a ST. I may have that backwards?

Troy
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troys
The rear support does run fairly close to the hardtop.
Troy, my problem isn't having the second bar touch the top, but the actual feet touch the top when i try to clamp them onto the bar. my feet come apart and I have a top and bottom piece both with two brackets that extrude out to hold the bolts in. the extruding parts are about 3/4 of an inch. and the space between the collcage and top is about 1/2 inch to 1/4 an inch. its super tight.

I checked out Rover Connections and the feet they have look different then the feet i have. His look like they would work a lot better seeing as there is only one bolt that is on the outside of the rollcage.

http://roverconnection.com/Def%20Acc...ari_Rack_A.jpg
http://roverconnection.com/Def%20Acc...ari_Rack_B.jpg
http://roverconnection.com/Def%20Acc...ari_Rack_C.jpg
http://roverconnection.com/Def%20Acc...ari_Rack_D.jpg
Old November 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Daniel;

The feet from Rover Connections apear to be the factory feet that should work. Remember to not overtighten those feet as they are cast aluminum and will crack if torque to much. I think those will be your answer.

Troy
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

So if those are factory feet I wonder what I have then? The rack came off a 97 limited, so they might be different? I will take some pics later. Also, I think the feet i have are steel.
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Daniel - from studying your pix closely, I can tell you have non-stock feet. They appear to have been fabricated, probably at some point after the orginal feet broke. The stock feet fit nicely and work well as long as you (as Troy said) overtighten or otherwise abuse them. If I were you, I would fit four stock feet, then use stacked washers to create the spacing that you require. The stock soft top cage does require the 1" spacers between the crossbars and the rack, but it appears you will only use those at the front, something less will be needed on the rearward crossbar.
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:55 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

He's also missing the 2nd cross support

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I think he has it but b/c of the angle of the bar he could only attach one to the rack.

BTW, a cleaner solution than a bunch of washers would be a short piece of tube or a pre-made spacer from McMaster.
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I have the second support bar, but have it out. I was trying to figure out how to put it in there, because of the upward slanted roll cage bit over the window. I will take pics of the brackets tonight. Im kind of pissed that they aren't original as the guy that sold it to me said everything was original and in pristine condition.
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
The A-hoop on a POE is actually the same one from when it was a soft top (the rest of the cage was removed at port), that's why it tilts up. The NAS Wagon cage actually has a taller A hoop with connecting bars that run parrallel to the top of the door. See the pics below and look at the amount of space between the horizontal bars and the door on a soft top and on a wagon. There are supposed to be spacers between the support bars and roof basket for a soft top as the parrallel bars sit lower, and no spacers on the wagon as the bars are higher (again, because the A-hoop is taller). I would suppose in you case you could use spacers on the front support and none on the rear support. Hope that helps.

Will H.

(thanks to Copley for use of their pictures)

Follow-up Post:

Here's a POE with Safety devices rack that just ran on ebay. I believe this supports my argument, spacers in front, none in 2nd support (see pics).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a7f9dcx1161ae542faxy7ffb.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	11026   Click image for larger version

Name:	d840cdx1159f2acd72xy7ffa.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	11027  

Name:	4ee9_12.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	11028   Click image for larger version

Name:	50be_12.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	11029  

Old November 13th, 2007, 11:34 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Here is my ST converted to SW with a ST A-hoop. I added a spacer to the front cross rail where it attaches to the rack to takeup the space due to the tilt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rack.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	11030  
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:06 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Thanks Will and Gary! So it looks like my main problem is not space or room, but the fact that my feet that clamp onto the roll cage are not genuine. the genuine feet will fit around the cage fine and then after that I just need to add spacer to get it to the correct level.

now excuse me, while i hassle the guy that sold me the rack to buy me the original feet!
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:40 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

I realize this is an old post, but Daniel, Will is right on the money. The POE front hoop is 1" shorter up front and slopes up to compensate for the added height of the hardtop. Here's a pic of a green factory hardtop. Notice no slope above the window:

By now you probably already bought the crossbar mounts from roverconnection.com, which will make no difference. The slope will still be there.

Post an update to see how it looks.

Javier
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	12061  
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Javier, I did buy the roverconnection crossbar mounts and to my surprise it worked out great. The other mounts I had when i bought the rack had a 1 inch piece welded to it. I don't know why this was done, but with that added lift in the front, the original style roverconnection mounts fit perfectly in there. I will try to post up some photos of the rack/mounts this week
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hey Daniel,

That is one fine, kick ass looking wingtop air intake scoop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB
That is one fine, kick ass looking wingtop air intake scoop!
I know! this great guy Len (I don't know if you know him) made it!! haha.

you should see the interior too! he made me an awesome GPS mount that sits where the ash tray is
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Funny what you said about being banned from parking garages. I recently installed a Thule MOAB basket to my '07 Wrangler's hard top. I let my wife drive it to work a couple of weeks ago and remembered just in time to call her and stop her from flying into the parking garage at her office and tearing the roof off of my Jeep

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, rack, safety devices