Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 7th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Pocket knife, what do you like?

I think I lost my trusty pocket knife that I have carried for many years. It was a Laguiole that I liked for the slim profile and decently long blade for a pocket folder.

Anybody here have a favorite that I should look at for a replacement?

Many designs are of the tactical variety with clips and the wide composite sides that make them bulky. I'm looking for a slim knife that's got at least a little bit of class to it.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2012, 09:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have a Benchmade Torrent 890, I really like it I've had about 3 of them. I've had about a dozen Spyderco Enduras over the years.

Hard to beat the old simple locking Berbers or the little swiss army knife. The leatherman micro is rather useful.

"Vintage" Schrade Waldens aren't bad.
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:21 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
To hardcore people it may not be the most popular (due to some typical manufacturing drama), but the HEST Folder 2.0 is awesome - blade by Lionsteel, bottle opener, wire strippers, glass breaker, 1/4" nut driver, and probably some other things I'm forgetting. I pretty much carry it everywhere.

It's no "gentleman's folder", if you want that get a Sebenza.

JeffI owe you an email back, just getting caught up got a little behind...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPDPKNHSFR3OD.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	55367  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2012, 09:39 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Microtech or Benchmade are the top two when it comes to quality. Microtech UDT or Benchmade Stryker or AFO. They are light weight and well made. If your looking for something a little cheaper look at the Kershaws. The model depends on what you are looking for style wise. I have the RAT Hest also and it's a bad ass knife but I find it a bit heavy to carry every day
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I make sure I have a knife on me at all times and use one many times during the day. I have carried many, and have some high dollar ones, but my fav is the Buck Redpoint. I currently have 3 of them. Why 3? They are $30!!! Very well made and sturdy. A bottle opener to boot!
http://www.heinnie.com/uploads/image...large/2829.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2685981283.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	55371  
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:46 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
I have the RAT Hest also and it's a bad ass knife but I find it a bit heavy to carry every day
I have a few of those RAT Hest fixed in the safe as well that I scooped up before they stopped making them, I like them for camping/etc but the folder I don't find is that bad to carry. I also like that the folder has a nice high clip that makes it ride real low in your pocket so you can't even see it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:22 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Grandpa's Swiss Army knife that he had in Korea. Although I do really like the fishing branded Victorinox my Dad gave me when I was 12

http://bit.ly/RzcQm3
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Ive had this on my keyring since I was 12.

-Jeff
Had this one since I was probably that old too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2401916249.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	55373  
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:05 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
I have an Emerson which is tactical with a clip and bulky. Exactly what you aren't looking for!

http://www.aaronlam.com/blog/2012/05...n-mini-cqc-15/

Check out:
http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza.htm
http://www.kershawknives.com/products.php?brand=kershaw

BladeForums.com is like D-90.com for knives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Emerson2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	55386  
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I bought one of these for my dads birthday and he has been using it now for a year with nothing but good things to say about it. The one improvement you could make though is a pocket clip. That's a deal breaker for me. I'm sure you could take one off another knife attach it somehow

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=103
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:18 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlam View Post

Check out:
http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza.htm

BladeForums.com is like D-90.com for knives.
Like I said, get a Sebbie! Jeff, if you're looking for classy & slim (ie gentlemans folder) and just a blade only get either the small or large Sebenza. I personally like my small better than my large. As Aaron said BFC is a good place, I got both mine from there actually (both are before the annoying "Idaho made" stamp on the blade).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 7th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Chris Reeve mini Sebenza. Take the clip off of it and it's absolutely perfect. The full size is too big. The older ones were sv30 and I they took an edge a little easier than the sv35 on my current one. No flashy stuff to it and it's built like a tool.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I've never heard of Sebenza but I'll look into it. I can certainly appreciate fine cutlery. My favorite blade so far in my life is the gränsfors bruks small forest axe. That thing is bad ass.
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/pro...nskogsyxa.html

Being in the field of blacksmithing I really want to be able to make blades but I haven't had much success to date. I guess I'll have to pony up a few bucks.

I'm not totally opposed to the tactical type knife. I saw a Benchmade barrage spring assist folder at REI this weekend and that was pretty sweet.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:28 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I am a huge fan of Jens Anso's knives. If you like the look of a classic pen knife but want modern steel, titanium frame lock, and textured fiberglass scales, try a genuine Haddock.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:34 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I've never heard of Sebenza but
They are the Mercedes (or Aston?) of folders. When you first hold one you think "what's the big deal?" but when you flick it open the action is so smooth and perfect it starts to make sense. There is beauty in their simplicity as well, with no "bling" or gadgets.

My issue is (like what happened with the 110) is that it is so nice and perfect that I find it just sits in the safe and doesn't get used. So I bought the HEST to use and beat up (like the 90!).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-725018489.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	55387  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 7th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos
I am a huge fan of Jens Anso's knives. If you like the look of a classic pen knife but want modern steel, titanium frame lock, and textured fiberglass scales, try a genuine Haddock.
I likey
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:57 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I love my benchmade 710 but it might be larger than you want.

Carried it in my pocket with the clip removed for ~5 years but it sits in my desk now since most places I work will not allow me to carry it
Old August 8th, 2012, 01:07 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

x2 Chris Reeves

Any of them.
Old August 8th, 2012, 01:56 AM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
I carry a rather cheap Benchmade similar in size to the mini griptillian. Used to buy them by the half dozen at Cabelas for about $30 on sale. Gave all but one away as gifts in Africa and this last one I've had 5 years and still great for dressing out whitetail

I've got a couple of decent Charlton Damascus blades (Capstick and Hunter) that I reserve for bigger game.

Unrelated but if I really want to do some damage I love my Gerber brush thinner machete. Great for clearing trails cutting ground blinds and a few other things including stripping cedar post
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old August 8th, 2012, 04:18 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

I like to carry a steak knife, you never know when you might get hungry. I prefer the Texas Road House model, as they come free with every meal. You really cant beat that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat