Please school me on the current 3.0 Rover diesel in the RR Sport - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 5th, 2016, 06:41 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Please school me on the current 3.0 Rover diesel in the RR Sport

Wife looking for a new truck and set on the 2016 RR Sport. We have always driven gas engines but would like to increase time between visiting the gas station. She drives a 2010 Range Rover with 100K miles which we are keeping for our 2 driving age children.

What are the issues, costs, maintenance considerations in the current 3.0 L V6 turbocharged Rover engine compared to a gas engine?

My friend had his Mercedes GL almost ruined by the gas attendant pumping regular gas into his diesel GL and had to have major service after he started the diesel engine with petrol.

The local Land Rover car salesman told me (I live in NJ where it is illegal to pump your own gas) that you had to or could pump your own gas with diesel. Is this true? Isn't there modification of the gas pump which prevents insertion of the petrol nozzle into a diesel tank? This is the main reason my wife is concerned about the diesel. For those who are familiar with Nantucket, how is the supply for diesel?

Will probably buy this weekend as LR Paramus seems to have a great inventory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2016, 06:52 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I cant speak to New Jersey but here in Oregon where we also cannot pump fuel, the law states Class 1 fuels. Diesel is a class 2 fuel and is exempt from the law. Diesel pumps have larger nozzles then petrol so cannot easily be used to fill petrol cars. However a petrol nozzle will fit in a diesel spout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2016, 06:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Just get out and watch them. A lot of stations especially on the turnpike diesel auto diesel is a separate pump so the line is non existent and you can't screw up.
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2016, 07:03 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Just get out and watch them. A lot of stations especially on the turnpike diesel auto diesel is a separate pump so the line is non existent and you can't screw up.
I would do that for sure or pump it myself. My wife and kids, that would be a no go; my wife doesn't want the hassle and worry and my kids could care less.
Old October 5th, 2016, 07:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I know at some WaWa's here in NJ it's pump your own diesel.

Maybe get a "diesel only"sticker for the fuel cover. And don't the new diesels have a certain color (green?) fuel cap?

BTW - I test drive the RRS diesel last winter. I loved the torque!
Old October 5th, 2016, 07:32 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Most stations have a smaller diesel spout Some have have a "donkey" spout to fill faster. They will pump your diesel just make sure you pay attention when pulling up and keep an eye on them. At the truck stops I just took care of it myself. Keep a packet of baby wipes in the truck for multiple reasons, but occasionally when filling might want to wipe your hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel