Planning Amp Install - some questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Planning Amp Install - some questions

Does anyone know how I might be able to mount an amplifier in the RH seat box without drilling holes?

I want to install the amp securely, yet drill no holes to provide for a clean install and clean removal in the event that becomes necessary (selling the truck or upgrading the amp). I'm not worried about theft, as I don't drive around with the stereo cranked up (especially in certain areas).

I wonder if I can use suction cups for mounting, or maybe a glue-type adhesive?

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

We use these square plastic adhesive tabs in electrical boxes. They have a raised dimple for a zip tie to pass through and hold a bunch of wires in place. No clue what they're really called, but if you've got an electrical supply close I'm sure they would know what they are. The adhesive on them should hold an amp if you use 4 or so, then you can run a zip tie through the bolt holes on the amp to hold it. If you need to remove it just cut 'em.

I'll see if I can find them

Follow-up Post:

Woo hoo, $0.08 a piece
Cable tie mount
http://www.electrical-supply.net/cat...subcatid_E_559
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Thanks! I think I've seen those before. That's a good idea. I'll have to search around for those at the local electrical/home improvement stores. Maybe while there, I can find other fastenning devices that might work too...

Thanks for the link!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Go to Ace or Home Depot and get some super industrial strength velcro, that stuff will hold everything TIGHT! I used it to mount a 1200 watt invertor in there 2 years ago and it hasn't budged since. It is also removable and leaves no holes. It should be perfect for what you want to do.

97 D90 SW
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Now that's an interesting idea too! I'll have to find some good stuff, because velcro strips I've found at the local deparment stores really sucks...Doesn't stick to anything for very long.
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:06 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
The regular stuff doesn't work too well, but the industrial strength will work awesome, trust me, I thought the same thing when someone told me about it. I know Lowe's, Home Depot and Ace carry it in rolls.

97 D90 SW
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Thanks Shawn and Jesse!
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt View Post
We use these square plastic adhesive tabs in electrical boxes. They have a raised dimple for a zip tie to pass through and hold a bunch of wires in place. No clue what they're really called, but if you've got an electrical supply close I'm sure they would know what they are. The adhesive on them should hold an amp if you use 4 or so, then you can run a zip tie through the bolt holes on the amp to hold it. If you need to remove it just cut 'em.

I'll see if I can find them

Follow-up Post:

Woo hoo, $0.08 a piece
Cable tie mount
http://www.electrical-supply.net/cat...subcatid_E_559

I was searching for information on seat box removal, repair and came across this link. Link still works but these are now .12 cents a piece. Just thought it was funny and others might find it funny in a geeky way as well. That's a pretty stiff price increase since 2007, but I guess reflects the increase in oil / plastic components as well as inflation. Also, Ditto on the velcro with the caveat that amps get hot and it's pretty darn hot in those seat boxes in the summer, so velcro glue no matter how "industrial" can turn into quite a sticky mess. Use larger blocks of it, 3x3" at a minimum to avoid a mess.

Also, placing rubber furniture pads (those little clear dimpled rubber bumpers sometimes attached to glass tops of wood furniture) at four corners of the amp usually works well to provide some vibration absorption from the truck and they can be purchased small enough to still allow the velcro to get a good grip.

Here is to reviving a previously and appropriately dead thread!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat