Places in Tahoe? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 4th, 2009, 05:52 PM
97 D90 SW
Places in Tahoe?

Looks as if I may be moving cross country to the Bay Area for a couple of years, it being so close to some of the best Skiing in the US I thought I would see if anyone had good recommendations on where to stay while there over the weekends? I'm looking for houses in the Walnut Creek area and think it may take me 3 hours to south Tahoe (does that sound right for you guys who live out there?) and will be heading up to ski about twice a month. Nevertheless, any good lines on cheaper places to stay (mostly solo probably) and any other good info about the area would be helpful. Thanks! GH

Old October 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
I80 is easier to travel than hwy 50. It has at least 2 lanes in each direction all the way, while 50 necks down to a single lane, and there are stop lights through Placerville. I would look for places in Truckee. Its close to Squaw and Northstar.

Im about 1/2 way between Sac and Truckee, so feel free to stop in on your way through.

Old October 5th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304
i'd never want to drive from the bay area to get to the lake on the weekends...
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140
I head up from SF almost every weekend in the winter. From walnut creek, i might take the 4 to stockton and avoid the SF-Sacto traffic. plan on 2:45-3 hours, with traffic adding as much as 2 hrs on friday after work. As far as places to ski/stay, it really depends on what you like to ski

South Lake
Kirkwood - up to 45 minutes from south lake, but some of the best terrain in tahoe. not much to offer in terms of cheap lodging, though

Heavenly - too crowded and spread over two states. not much vertical

North lake
Squaw - great mountain, but this is the first year they have had decent season pass prices, so it will be very crowded

Lots of smaller mountains, also. Mt. rose is a personal favorite. Snow is very heavy here, light powder days are rare.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat