Pimp my Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 20th, 2006, 02:27 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Pimp my Defender

Today was a happy day. For the first time since I bought this thing a year ago, I got to put some "fun money" into my truck, the first upgrades that I've made. I bought some (overpriced) NATO Wolf wheels from RN, got some suspension from the always helpful Bill Davis at Great Basin Rovers, and some new 285/75-16 BFG Mud Terrain rubber from Discount Tire. My friend Brian and I installed the stuff this afternoon. It took only four hours and I thought it came out nice. We also removed the silly stock bumper attachment and the worthless side steps while we were at it. Ironically enough, removing the bumper attachment took longer than the lift, due to a poorly-maintained rear hinge. The bolt was rusted to the hinge and was blocking us from removing one of the bolts holding on the bumper attachment. We ended up sawing the end off of the hinge bolt, no big deal because it was frozen anyway. It's not like it was coming out any time soon.

Strangely, my speedometer still reads about 10% faster than I'm actually going.

Here's some before & after pics. I'm going to take some close ups of these NATO wheels tomorrow, after I wash everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	219720498_5bc6dd6067.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	6329   Click image for larger version

Name:	219681125_20318c1968.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	6330  

Click image for larger version

Name:	219720444_74e28e4220.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	6331  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Chris, looks nice. The black finish Natos and the lift look much better with your Rebel Yel(low) D90. It is also fun to see the wrenching in your frt driveway ( as many of us also do). The black finish on the wheels, is it a primer type paint or polyurethane?
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:27 AM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

Hey Chris: Looks Sharp, great looking 90! gh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Great looking D90!
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Chris, looks nice. The black finish Natos and the lift look much better with your Rebel Yel(low) D90. It is also fun to see the wrenching in your frt driveway ( as many of us also do). The black finish on the wheels, is it a primer type paint or polyurethane?
Hi Marc and everyone,

Thanks for the compliments. The finish on the NATOs appears to be a powder coat but I'm not completely sure. It's kind of a semi-gloss paint. The wheels had genuine LR stickers and markers on the packaging, so it's probably the same black semi-gloss that is used around the rest of you truck. I saw your thread about the white NATOs. I would ask MuddyOval how he got his repainted. There's probably quite a bit of stripping, sandblasting, primering, and painting in your future.

BTW, these wheels are really heavy and I got totally hosed on the shipping price by Rovers North. I highly recommend taking advantage of Atlantic British's prices and free shipping if you want some NATOs. Their free shipping deal probably doesn't apply to these heavy wheels but I'm pretty sure that you could talk them into at least knocking some off your shipping costs.

I'll try to post some more photos later.

Chris

/
/
/
/
Old August 20th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Looks really good. That is a very nice looking nieghborhood with the mountains like that. Very cute, in a manly way of course.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
I saw your thread about the white NATOs. I would ask MuddyOval how he got his repainted. There's probably quite a bit of stripping, sandblasting, primering, and painting in your future.

BTW, these wheels are really heavy and I got totally hosed on the shipping price by Rovers North. I highly recommend taking advantage of Atlantic British's prices and free shipping if you want some NATOs. Their free shipping deal probably doesn't apply to these heavy wheels but I'm pretty sure that you could talk them into at least knocking some off your shipping costs.
Hey Chris, looks good man. Black rims look good on that yellow. I took mine to a paint shop and had them sand them lightly, then spray them Alpine white. They came black primer coated.

The free shipping did apply to the wheels, I was lucky with the timing on that.

97 D90 SW
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:31 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Better detail photos of the wheels here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defende...7594243738438/

/
/
/
/
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:10 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Looks so much better Chris!! Love the black on yellow. BTW, love the license plate.... free heel or die, eh? lol.
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The paint on the natos is primer. HIt it with some gloss black before you go too much further.
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:42 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

nice license plate. seems like there is a decent d90 tele contingent here.
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:10 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Indeed. There's even one other yellow D-90-owning freeheel skier in this little town.

I'm guessing that it's because we're somewhat eccentric personalities who are not afraid to go the hard route for sake of style and functionality.

/
/
/
/
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:04 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Quote:
Indeed. There's even one other yellow D-90-owning freeheel skier in this little town.

I'm guessing that it's because we're somewhat eccentric personalities who are not afraid to go the hard route for sake of style and functionality.
Well put, lol.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Chris, your truck looks awesome! I remember when I first ditched my alloys and 31" AT's for some black steel wheels from GCR and 33" BFG MT KO's. What a difference it made! I can't think of a better way to drop $1000 that doesn't involve a couple of naked girls. Nice truck, man.

Oh yeah, do you still have your "silly" stock rear bumper? I'm thinking of putting one on my 110.

tom
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:27 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Tom,

Thanks. I wish this upgrade was only $1000. Almost $1300 for the 5 tires, $600-something for the wheels, $900 for the lift. Yeah, I got hosed.

I do have my silly rear bumper for sale. Drop me an e-mail and we can figure something out.

Chris

/
/
/
/
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

That $1300 is for the tires AND rims, right? I sure hope you did not pay $1300 for rubber alone...
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
900 for the lift damn man thats a lot.
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:57 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
That $1300 is for the tires AND rims, right? I sure hope you did not pay $1300 for rubber alone...
Discount Tire, $217 per tire. Plus mounting and Utah sales tax. The biggest mistake I made was not working a deal to get some money for trade-in on my old BFGs. I probably could have gotten $25/tire trade-in. Now I'm stuck with expensive new tires and old tires that I'll have to pay to get unmounted.

On top of that, my truck now goes barely 45mph up the hill from Salt Lake to Park City. :/

I could have probably done some bargain hunting and saved $50 on the lift, but I got it from Bill @ Great Basin and his advice is definitely worth $50 to me.

/
/
/
/
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:44 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Nice personalized license plate. What do you ski on?
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Discount Tire, $217 per tire. Plus mounting and Utah sales tax. The biggest mistake I made was not working a deal to get some money for trade-in on my old BFGs. I probably could have gotten $25/tire trade-in. Now I'm stuck with expensive new tires and old tires that I'll have to pay to get unmounted.

On top of that, my truck now goes barely 45mph up the hill from Salt Lake to Park City. :/

I could have probably done some bargain hunting and saved $50 on the lift, but I got it from Bill @ Great Basin and his advice is definitely worth $50 to me.
Holy moly! Are BFG's that expensive now? My 37in MTR's were $169 a tire at discount tire and my 39.5 IROKS were $190 a tire. At least you can sell your old tires here or Ebay and try to recover a little money. I guess it all doesn't matter as long as your happy.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat