Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Pics from the weekend @ Rausch

Hit up RC this past weekend w/ my Brother in law and his jeep, along with some friends. I guess you could call it my bachleor party, but with out strippers. lol Had alot more fun wheeling than i would have with some nasty snatch being shoved in my face! Great weather, great company, great wheeling, great food at the end of day to boot!

Truck did really well. Went through most of the day with the diff lock off even. Plenty of traction on those rocks. Hit a bunch of green and blue trails as we weren't looking to break anything. Did a few blacks and had no issue with them.

went to lake christy and wisely didn't attempt to ford it. It was SOFT underneath and without a snorkel i didn't feel like locking the new engine.

Anyways - heres the pics, hope to be back there for ROTR

Will post more pics in a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	58328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	58329  

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	58330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	58331  

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	58332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	58333  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2012, 03:35 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Nice pics.
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Nice pics! Someone got an iPhone 5, huh? (panoramic pic)

How are you liking the KM2s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Haha Yea my buddy just got the 5. Came out pretty cool and easy to take those pics.

I'm waiting for my BIL to send me the rest, he has some real good ones

The KM2's are good.

Rock - Very happy - good grip
Loose gravel/washout - very good - dug right in and never had any traction issues (barely any wheel spin)
Soft mud/silt - eh ok. I only say this b/c as I dabbled in that lake, the lugs filled up with crap and I sat there clawing my way for awhile. Eventually i got out but I was surprised they got that clogged up, especially being in standing water (i'd figured the water would help wash them out).

Will see how they do in the snow this winter. I'm guessing its going to be there week point

I only aired down to 25lbs, which gave me minimal deflection. I figured the extra inch of clearance would help more than if I aired all the way down to 15lbs. Traction on the rocks was never an issue and the size was just right. On real hard articulation they rubbed a little but I was able to clear any obstacle (any obstacle I had any business trying to clear that is lol). No cuts or anything I can find. I did scrape up 2 of the wheels a little going through some black trails, but some black paint and you can barely tell.

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 03:48 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Whats the pipe bomb on the rack for?

-Jeff

haha - spare set of axles... and by set I mean all 4

After my last time out and grenading a CV I figured just bring it with me, I had everything in the truck to replace one if need be.

Luckily there was no need for it.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Great pics! That panoramic shot is dope! Looks like the 90 did very well. Love how you packed all the axles but after that last trip better safe than sorry. Of course they were fine now that you know how to swap them out, haha.

Good call on the 25 psi for the 255's. I ran them at higher pressures when I had KM1's in that size. I think the sidewalls will still flex pretty good and like you said a little more clearance is a good thing.

Wish I could have gone with you guys but too much soccer this weekend. I did get in the woods for a bit on Sat but was on 2 wheels. If you are feeling the need for a stripper type bachleor party locally let me know!
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Haha Yea my buddy just got the 5. Came out pretty cool and easy to take those pics.

I'm waiting for my BIL to send me the rest, he has some real good ones

The KM2's are good.

Rock - Very happy - good grip
Loose gravel/washout - very good - dug right in and never had any traction issues (barely any wheel spin)
Soft mud/silt - eh ok. I only say this b/c as I dabbled in that lake, the lugs filled up with crap and I sat there clawing my way for awhile. Eventually i got out but I was surprised they got that clogged up, especially being in standing water (i'd figured the water would help wash them out).

Will see how they do in the snow this winter. I'm guessing its going to be there week point

I only aired down to 25lbs, which gave me minimal deflection. I figured the extra inch of clearance would help more than if I aired all the way down to 15lbs. Traction on the rocks was never an issue and the size was just right. On real hard articulation they rubbed a little but I was able to clear any obstacle (any obstacle I had any business trying to clear that is lol). No cuts or anything I can find. I did scrape up 2 of the wheels a little going through some black trails, but some black paint and you can barely tell.

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 03:48 PM ------

haha - spare set of axles... and by set I mean all 4

After my last time out and grenading a CV I figured just bring it with me, I had everything in the truck to replace one if need be.

Luckily there was no need for it.
When I was down at the Conclave I aired down to 15 and had no problems in the mud and I run skinny as hell KM2's. The KM's have always been weak in the ice department because they have no sips. Really do need to air down to 15 cause of the sidewalls and all.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Great pics! That panoramic shot is dope! Looks like the 90 did very well. Love how you packed all the axles but after that last trip better safe than sorry. Of course they were fine now that you know how to swap them out, haha.

Good call on the 25 psi for the 255's. I ran them at higher pressures when I had KM1's in that size. I think the sidewalls will still flex pretty good and like you said a little more clearance is a good thing.

Wish I could have gone with you guys but too much soccer this weekend. I did get in the woods for a bit on Sat but was on 2 wheels. If you are feeling the need for a stripper type bachleor party locally let me know!
haha - I think I'm good... They really do nothing for me... I guess I'm spoiled with what i got at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
When I was down at the Conclave I aired down to 15 and had no problems in the mud and I run skinny as hell KM2's. The KM's have always been weak in the ice department because they have no sips. Really do need to air down to 15 cause of the sidewalls and all.
yea - I was thinking of getting them siped at a local tire shop, but no need to do that just yet
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
My KM1's are siped, very happy with them in the wet, and on snow and ice so far. They were used so no idea where to get tires siped for the next set. But, highly recommend it.

Nice pics Adrian. But, couldn't you leave the axles in camp?

Quote:
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:19 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I could. But 1 I was too lazy to take them off and 2 if I broke it out on the trail I didn't want to have to drive all the way back to get them
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:24 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

[QUOTE=bossman429;377840]haha - I think I'm good... They really do nothing for me... I guess I'm spoiled with what i got at home

Words from an unknown wise man, "Its not about you, but about your buds".
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yeah I figured.

I had a similar setup @ winter romp though it fell over in Bruce's workshop and broke the PVC pipe. So now it is all duct-taped together. Think I am going to move toward a more compact storage solution that can go inside the car and not so high up. All four axles is one heavy package to be on the roof.

Quote:
I could. But 1 I was too lazy to take them off and 2 if I broke it out on the trail I didn't want to have to drive all the way back to get them
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:41 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Really? Last time I was with Adrian at RC he had them aired down pretty low and they were folded over. It might have been under 15psi tho.

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 04:51 PM ------

Quote:
haha - I think I'm good... They really do nothing for me... I guess I'm spoiled with what i got at home
LOL - I agree. Plus the money you go thru can be crazy. After those types of parties I'm always thinking how I could of spent those funds on a some machinery, parts, or an off-road trip.

At the very least if you want to hop into Red Bank and grab a beer or 2 and talk Rovers and race cars before the big day let us know. Maybe see if some other rover heads like Airborne or NYC people like Josh could make it out.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:51 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Quote:
Really? Last time I was with Adrian at RC he had them aired down pretty low and they were folded over. It might have been under 15psi tho.
I would say from all that I have read and from experience I diffidently noticed a difference for the first time airing down to 15. Also the rating for weight load that you bought your tires at. I think mine are D or E.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
yeah I figured.

I had a similar setup @ winter romp though it fell over in Bruce's workshop and broke the PVC pipe. So now it is all duct-taped together. Think I am going to move toward a more compact storage solution that can go inside the car and not so high up. All four axles is one heavy package to be on the roof.
I don't see how you can get more compact. It's an inch or two longer than the longest axle and no wider than absolutely necessary

This is 6" sched 40 pipe. Would have to be a decent fall to bust it up (although it's more brittle in the cold)

It won't fit anywhere else but I hear ya on the weight. It's a good 60-70lbs

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 04:58 PM ------

Quote:

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 04:51 PM ------

LOL - I agree. Plus the money you go thru can be crazy. After those types of parties I'm always thinking how I could of spent those funds on a some machinery, parts, or an off-road trip.

At the very least if you want to hop into Red Bank and grab a beer or 2 and talk Rovers and race cars before the big day let us know. Maybe see if some other rover heads like Airborne or NYC people like Josh could make it out.

Hahah. My air gauge was broke. I found out. I was basically flat then lol

Will let ya know maybe one night this week at barnacle?
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
I don't see how you can get more compact. It's an inch or two longer than the longest axle and no wider than absolutely necessary

This is 6" sched 40 pipe. Would have to be a decent fall to bust it up (although it's more brittle in the cold)

Rack/Axles: Surprised you didn't mention it but I am sure you wanted to test out that new rack too and give it some weight to make sure it held together :D Looks good in the pics.

Barnacles: Always down for a Barnacle Burger - LMK
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Quote:

Ohhhh the long islands are my kryptonite over there.
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:30 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
That rack has had 3 adults on it and didn't budge and inch. I'm convinced it could double as a bridge/ramp if needed. Way strong

Will let you know bout barnacles. Maybe thurs pm if that works for all?
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

"Truck did really well. Went through most of the day with the diff lock off even. Plenty of traction on those rocks. Hit a bunch of green and blue trails as we weren't looking to break anything. Did a few blacks and had no issue with them."

Pretty sure it's best to use CDL whenever off road with wheel slippage. It's easier on the drive train. Land rovers are made that way, it's sort of like locking the hubs on a jeep etc.
It's made to lock and unlock easily as needed.
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
If you are feeling the need for a stripper type bachleor party locally let me know!
Are these jersey shore girls? I might be interested if so/if not.
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:41 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
She has the flu this week - hence my question.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat