Pics from the weekend @ Rausch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Pics from the weekend @ Rausch

Hit up RC this past weekend w/ my Brother in law and his jeep, along with some friends. I guess you could call it my bachleor party, but with out strippers. lol Had alot more fun wheeling than i would have with some nasty snatch being shoved in my face! Great weather, great company, great wheeling, great food at the end of day to boot!

Truck did really well. Went through most of the day with the diff lock off even. Plenty of traction on those rocks. Hit a bunch of green and blue trails as we weren't looking to break anything. Did a few blacks and had no issue with them.

went to lake christy and wisely didn't attempt to ford it. It was SOFT underneath and without a snorkel i didn't feel like locking the new engine.

Anyways - heres the pics, hope to be back there for ROTR


Will post more pics in a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	58328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	58329  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	58330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	58331  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	58332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	58333  

__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:35 PM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land by parkway and 33
Posts: 1,882
Nice pics.
__________________
Quote:
Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Nice pics! Someone got an iPhone 5, huh? (panoramic pic)

How are you liking the KM2s?
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Haha Yea my buddy just got the 5. Came out pretty cool and easy to take those pics.

I'm waiting for my BIL to send me the rest, he has some real good ones


The KM2's are good.

Rock - Very happy - good grip
Loose gravel/washout - very good - dug right in and never had any traction issues (barely any wheel spin)
Soft mud/silt - eh ok. I only say this b/c as I dabbled in that lake, the lugs filled up with crap and I sat there clawing my way for awhile. Eventually i got out but I was surprised they got that clogged up, especially being in standing water (i'd figured the water would help wash them out).

Will see how they do in the snow this winter. I'm guessing its going to be there week point

I only aired down to 25lbs, which gave me minimal deflection. I figured the extra inch of clearance would help more than if I aired all the way down to 15lbs. Traction on the rocks was never an issue and the size was just right. On real hard articulation they rubbed a little but I was able to clear any obstacle (any obstacle I had any business trying to clear that is lol). No cuts or anything I can find. I did scrape up 2 of the wheels a little going through some black trails, but some black paint and you can barely tell.

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 03:48 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Whats the pipe bomb on the rack for?

-Jeff

haha - spare set of axles... and by set I mean all 4

After my last time out and grenading a CV I figured just bring it with me, I had everything in the truck to replace one if need be.

Luckily there was no need for it.
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Online
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Great pics! That panoramic shot is dope! Looks like the 90 did very well. Love how you packed all the axles but after that last trip better safe than sorry. Of course they were fine now that you know how to swap them out, haha.

Good call on the 25 psi for the 255's. I ran them at higher pressures when I had KM1's in that size. I think the sidewalls will still flex pretty good and like you said a little more clearance is a good thing.

Wish I could have gone with you guys but too much soccer this weekend. I did get in the woods for a bit on Sat but was on 2 wheels. If you are feeling the need for a stripper type bachleor party locally let me know!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land by parkway and 33
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Haha Yea my buddy just got the 5. Came out pretty cool and easy to take those pics.

I'm waiting for my BIL to send me the rest, he has some real good ones


The KM2's are good.

Rock - Very happy - good grip
Loose gravel/washout - very good - dug right in and never had any traction issues (barely any wheel spin)
Soft mud/silt - eh ok. I only say this b/c as I dabbled in that lake, the lugs filled up with crap and I sat there clawing my way for awhile. Eventually i got out but I was surprised they got that clogged up, especially being in standing water (i'd figured the water would help wash them out).

Will see how they do in the snow this winter. I'm guessing its going to be there week point

I only aired down to 25lbs, which gave me minimal deflection. I figured the extra inch of clearance would help more than if I aired all the way down to 15lbs. Traction on the rocks was never an issue and the size was just right. On real hard articulation they rubbed a little but I was able to clear any obstacle (any obstacle I had any business trying to clear that is lol). No cuts or anything I can find. I did scrape up 2 of the wheels a little going through some black trails, but some black paint and you can barely tell.

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 03:48 PM ------




haha - spare set of axles... and by set I mean all 4

After my last time out and grenading a CV I figured just bring it with me, I had everything in the truck to replace one if need be.

Luckily there was no need for it.
When I was down at the Conclave I aired down to 15 and had no problems in the mud and I run skinny as hell KM2's. The KM's have always been weak in the ice department because they have no sips. Really do need to air down to 15 cause of the sidewalls and all.
__________________
Quote:
Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Great pics! That panoramic shot is dope! Looks like the 90 did very well. Love how you packed all the axles but after that last trip better safe than sorry. Of course they were fine now that you know how to swap them out, haha.

Good call on the 25 psi for the 255's. I ran them at higher pressures when I had KM1's in that size. I think the sidewalls will still flex pretty good and like you said a little more clearance is a good thing.

Wish I could have gone with you guys but too much soccer this weekend. I did get in the woods for a bit on Sat but was on 2 wheels. If you are feeling the need for a stripper type bachleor party locally let me know!
haha - I think I'm good... They really do nothing for me... I guess I'm spoiled with what i got at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
When I was down at the Conclave I aired down to 15 and had no problems in the mud and I run skinny as hell KM2's. The KM's have always been weak in the ice department because they have no sips. Really do need to air down to 15 cause of the sidewalls and all.
yea - I was thinking of getting them siped at a local tire shop, but no need to do that just yet
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
My KM1's are siped, very happy with them in the wet, and on snow and ice so far. They were used so no idea where to get tires siped for the next set. But, highly recommend it.

Nice pics Adrian. But, couldn't you leave the axles in camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
When I was down at the Conclave I aired down to 15 and had no problems in the mud and I run skinny as hell KM2's. The KM's have always been weak in the ice department because they have no sips. Really do need to air down to 15 cause of the sidewalls and all.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:19 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
I could. But 1 I was too lazy to take them off and 2 if I broke it out on the trail I didn't want to have to drive all the way back to get them
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:24 PM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land by parkway and 33
Posts: 1,882
[QUOTE=bossman429;377840]haha - I think I'm good... They really do nothing for me... I guess I'm spoiled with what i got at home

Words from an unknown wise man, "Its not about you, but about your buds".
__________________
Quote:
Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
yeah I figured.

I had a similar setup @ winter romp though it fell over in Bruce's workshop and broke the PVC pipe. So now it is all duct-taped together. Think I am going to move toward a more compact storage solution that can go inside the car and not so high up. All four axles is one heavy package to be on the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
I could. But 1 I was too lazy to take them off and 2 if I broke it out on the trail I didn't want to have to drive all the way back to get them
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:41 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Online
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
When I was down at the Conclave I aired down to 15 and had no problems in the mud and I run skinny as hell KM2's. The KM's have always been weak in the ice department because they have no sips. Really do need to air down to 15 cause of the sidewalls and all.
Really? Last time I was with Adrian at RC he had them aired down pretty low and they were folded over. It might have been under 15psi tho.

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 04:51 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
haha - I think I'm good... They really do nothing for me... I guess I'm spoiled with what i got at home
LOL - I agree. Plus the money you go thru can be crazy. After those types of parties I'm always thinking how I could of spent those funds on a some machinery, parts, or an off-road trip.

At the very least if you want to hop into Red Bank and grab a beer or 2 and talk Rovers and race cars before the big day let us know. Maybe see if some other rover heads like Airborne or NYC people like Josh could make it out.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:51 PM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land by parkway and 33
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Really? Last time I was with Adrian at RC he had them aired down pretty low and they were folded over. It might have been under 15psi tho.
I would say from all that I have read and from experience I diffidently noticed a difference for the first time airing down to 15. Also the rating for weight load that you bought your tires at. I think mine are D or E.
__________________
Quote:
Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
yeah I figured.

I had a similar setup @ winter romp though it fell over in Bruce's workshop and broke the PVC pipe. So now it is all duct-taped together. Think I am going to move toward a more compact storage solution that can go inside the car and not so high up. All four axles is one heavy package to be on the roof.
I don't see how you can get more compact. It's an inch or two longer than the longest axle and no wider than absolutely necessary

This is 6" sched 40 pipe. Would have to be a decent fall to bust it up (although it's more brittle in the cold)

It won't fit anywhere else but I hear ya on the weight. It's a good 60-70lbs

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 04:58 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Really? Last time I was with Adrian at RC he had them aired down pretty low and they were folded over. It might have been under 15psi tho.

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 04:51 PM ------



LOL - I agree. Plus the money you go thru can be crazy. After those types of parties I'm always thinking how I could of spent those funds on a some machinery, parts, or an off-road trip.

At the very least if you want to hop into Red Bank and grab a beer or 2 and talk Rovers and race cars before the big day let us know. Maybe see if some other rover heads like Airborne or NYC people like Josh could make it out.

Hahah. My air gauge was broke. I found out. I was basically flat then lol


Will let ya know maybe one night this week at barnacle?
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Online
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
I don't see how you can get more compact. It's an inch or two longer than the longest axle and no wider than absolutely necessary

This is 6" sched 40 pipe. Would have to be a decent fall to bust it up (although it's more brittle in the cold)

It won't fit anywhere else but I hear ya on the weight. It's a good 60-70lbs

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 04:58 PM ------




Hahah. My air gauge was broke. I found out. I was basically flat then lol


Will let ya know maybe one night this week at barnacle?
Rack/Axles: Surprised you didn't mention it but I am sure you wanted to test out that new rack too and give it some weight to make sure it held together :D Looks good in the pics.

Barnacles: Always down for a Barnacle Burger - LMK
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land by parkway and 33
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
I don't see how you can get more compact. It's an inch or two longer than the longest axle and no wider than absolutely necessary

This is 6" sched 40 pipe. Would have to be a decent fall to bust it up (although it's more brittle in the cold)

It won't fit anywhere else but I hear ya on the weight. It's a good 60-70lbs

------ Follow up post added October 1st, 2012 04:58 PM ------




Hahah. My air gauge was broke. I found out. I was basically flat then lol


Will let ya know maybe one night this week at barnacle?
Ohhhh the long islands are my kryptonite over there.
__________________
Quote:
Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:30 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
That rack has had 3 adults on it and didn't budge and inch. I'm convinced it could double as a bridge/ramp if needed. Way strong

Will let you know bout barnacles. Maybe thurs pm if that works for all?
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
discotdi
Status: Offline
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fairburn, GA USA
Posts: 1,029
"Truck did really well. Went through most of the day with the diff lock off even. Plenty of traction on those rocks. Hit a bunch of green and blue trails as we weren't looking to break anything. Did a few blacks and had no issue with them."

Pretty sure it's best to use CDL whenever off road with wheel slippage. It's easier on the drive train. Land rovers are made that way, it's sort of like locking the hubs on a jeep etc.
It's made to lock and unlock easily as needed.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
If you are feeling the need for a stripper type bachleor party locally let me know!
Are these jersey shore girls? I might be interested if so/if not.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:41 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
She has the flu this week - hence my question.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another weekend at Rausch Creek July 23-24th Hammertime Trips, Trails and Events 0 July 6th, 2011 10:00 PM
Rausch Creek, July 30th weekend, 2010 dchapman Trips, Trails and Events 5 July 27th, 2010 09:57 PM
Working/Wheeling Weekend at Rausch Creek - March 1&2, 2008 cgalpin Trips, Trails and Events 2 March 4th, 2008 09:27 PM
Rausch Creek rvrsrvc Trips, Trails and Events 3 January 20th, 2006 03:16 PM
Rausch Creek, Mar 26-28 loykd Trips, Trails and Events 125 March 31st, 2004 07:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Copyright