Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 1st, 2012, 10:17 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
Pretty sure it's best to use CDL whenever off road with wheel slippage. It's easier on the drive train. Land rovers are made that way, it's sort of like locking the hubs on a jeep etc.
It's made to lock and unlock easily as needed.

That can be debated.

The thought behind that is your Center diff has no gears, so, it turns 3.5 times faster than the diff in your axles. (assuming 3.54:1 ring gear in you axle tubes). Factor in wheel spin and your going to be doing double that. The concern is your going to over heat yoru bearings and wear out your center diff... IF YOU CONTINUE TO sit there and spin the wheel with the CDL disengaged. In this case your better off engaging the diff to increase traction so you can get back down to 3.5 times the wheel speed (which is normal)

However, keep the wheel spin to minimum and your not going to cause any damage. the differential will work as its supposed to.

I was wheeling on mostly very high traction rock, and rarely had any wheel spin. I did engage it when crossing water/mud as needed, ord when traversing steep hills (either up and down). A few times, when I expierence some wheel spin, regardless of surface, i immediately stopped, engaged the CDL, then tried again.

The thought behind this it to minimize the chance I'd break somthing (Axle shaft/CV/Diff/driveshaft etc etc. By keeping the CDL open, if I did get wheel spin and then immediate traction, I would have 3 other wheels to "break traction" and dissapate the shock load. This is how I broke my CV last time. I had my CDL on, one front wheel was locked between two rocks, and the other spinning freely. Then the spinning wheel caught, and blew the CV. The tq had to go to one of the 2 wheels, both of which were basically wedged between rocks. (yes there were other factors like the fact my wheel was turned, but this is one thats pertainent to this discussion) Had my diff lock been off, the power could have been transferred to one of the rear wheels which might have slipped a little and helped dissapate that shock load. (that being said i had no business going over the rock i was trying to go over lol)

Also, if you notice right on the Fuse panel cover, it says only engage the diff lock when traction is poor, and once that surface has been traversed disengage it (or something to that effect).... I read that as "only use it when you absolutely have to"

I did some research on this and you'll get arguements for both sides. This side makes more sense to me, and thats what I'm choosing to go by
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2012, 11:28 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Sure, but the CDL also allows for 50/50 split of torque and power to the front and rear axle. This allows for superior traction and less wheel spin. And it's easy to shift from locked to unlocked on the move as needed as long as you aren't spinning a wheel.
I'm not saying you're wrong of course. I do it my way because that's how I was taught by LR driving instructors years ago before LR's drove themselves, like new ones.
Sounds like you were mostly on pretty firm high traction ground so I'm sure you used what was best.
Sweet Ride too.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:37 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
An unlocked LT230 is 1 wheel drive.

-Jeff
Yep!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat