Pics and Video from my Moab trip - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 29th, 2013, 04:12 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Pics and Video from my Moab trip

No real good place on D90 to share pics and videos so I figured I would go here. I have 1.5 hours of video to still process but I got one uploaded. Hopefully FB is a decent enough place to host photos and video since it integrates with Iphoto nicely. Let me know if it works!

The "Fall" on Steel Bender:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...03098237442719

Assorted Photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8702327&type=1
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2013, 04:47 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Looks like an awesome trip! Some great scenery and terrain. Bet the dirt bikes were even more fun than the Defender out there.

Love the plate frame on the XJ, haha. Hope the guy was all right.
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:56 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Yeah the kid was OK. The irony was that very same kid walked up to my tent the night before at 2 am and asked for help pulling that same XJ out of the same snow pile I was stuck in with the defender. Side note: when someone taps on your tent at 2 am in the woods back in the La Sals.. i thought I was getting killed or robbed. anyway, we winched him and his buddies out of the snow then they set up camp somewhere down the trail. He was driving back to clean up the camp site when he flipped and we again winched him back onto his wheels.

He was in good spirits about it though.
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Great pics- looked like a blast! I need to make it out there one of these days soon...
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:10 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Great trip. Did you drive the 90 out there?

------ Follow up post added May 29th, 2013 06:12 PM ------

Whoops. I see the rig now. Very cool. I've got a buddy in SLC trying to get me out there.
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:18 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

When I finally go get 4.10 gears put in, I will consider doing long road trips with the D90 again. But with 33s and a lift and the stock 3.54 gears, 5th is full throttle down hill and makes me a permanent right lane with my hazards on fixture.

Towing it out there was much more pleasant. not to mention dual climate control, more comfy seats, more storage, better fuel mpg, better sound system, quieter, faster etc.
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Great photos! I love the articulation
Old May 30th, 2013, 11:32 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I actually have a problem with the articulation that i'm looking for advice on. The rear is great, flexes like nuts but the front is an issue. It doesn't tuck up. That causes the truck to lean a lot more than it should. It has RTE springs, Bilstien 7100s with rubber bushings and castor corrected radius arms. I know the rubber bushings in the Bilsteins will limit flex down but not up.. right? Could it be an alignment thing? The only thought I have is to go to a softer front spring but I spoke to RTE about it and they said their spring shouldn't cause the front not to tuck up. I've checked the clearance on the shock and it's got another 2.5 inches before bottoming.

Look at the below pic.. that front wheel should be tucked up hard but it's not even close. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	469114_749281526738_2064797515_o.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	73501  
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Outstanding photos, thanks for sharing.
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:40 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
I actually have a problem with the articulation that i'm looking for advice on. The rear is great, flexes like nuts but the front is an issue. It doesn't tuck up. That causes the truck to lean a lot more than it should. It has RTE springs, Bilstien 7100s with rubber bushings and castor corrected radius arms. I know the rubber bushings in the Bilsteins will limit flex down but not up.. right? Could it be an alignment thing? The only thought I have is to go to a softer front spring but I spoke to RTE about it and they said their spring shouldn't cause the front not to tuck up. I've checked the clearance on the shock and it's got another 2.5 inches before bottoming.

Look at the below pic.. that front wheel should be tucked up hard but it's not even close. Any thoughts?
The stock radius arms are what limits the articulation in the front. If you want more flex you have to go with a different design, like a 3-link.
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:31 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Wow - Crazy story all around with that XJ kid. Only adds more flavor to the trip tho, haha
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
The stock radius arms are what limits the articulation in the front. If you want more flex you have to go with a different design, like a 3-link.
What about softer bushings at the frame mount and softer springs? That would have to help with travel. It used to be better.. i don't know what I did to mess it up but it won't even hit the bump stops. not even close.
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:03 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

I'm no expert on this and I'm sure others will chime in, but I believe part of the issue is that the stock arms are bolted to the axle in two places. This prevents the axle from rolling forward or backwards under braking/acceleration, but when the axle wants to articulate it binds at those two bushings because the radius arm is twisting as the axle drops. The three link uses the center link to control the axle roll issue which allows the outer links to connect in only one place, higher up, allowing more drop. The shocks do become the limiting factor when you get more articulation. Softer bushings and springs may gain you some travel, but it won't be anything like you have in the rear.
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:21 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I changed to those offset radius arm bushings to correct for the left. They have a lot more metal and a lot less bushing in them. That might explain the recent reduction in upward travel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
trip