Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:13 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Yeah, putting Defenders in containers bound for the US almost always costs nearly twice what roro costs if not more.

Looks like you shared a container so those were half the actual costs.....
That was my share of it. I'm assuming the additional exam fees totaled almost $3000 as there was 4 cosignees myself included. Two motorcycles, a prius, and my truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Yeah, putting Defenders in containers bound for the US almost always costs nearly twice what roro costs if not more. Looks like you shared a container so those were half the actual costs.....
Yup it seems the shipper basically screwed all the others by putting this Defender in with the rest of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:36 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

btw, if you can bring a friend do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:35 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Yup it seems the shipper basically screwed all the others by putting this Defender in with the rest of them
The shipper should have suggested RORO as a good option for me. It would have saved me and the other consignee's time and money. From the start they really steered me toward the shared container. No doubt they profited more off of that. At the time I wasn't fully aware of how customs inspections works and the advantages of going RORO.

"If it was my truck I would use a shared container" was stated more then once.

------ Follow up post added August 3rd, 2016 02:37 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
btw, if you can bring a friend do it.
Yep, he will be following in my Xterra.
Old August 4th, 2016, 02:41 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I would bring a fan and power steering belt. IIRC, you will need (2) 13mm wrench to swap the belts.
Old August 4th, 2016, 05:32 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyUSMC View Post
I would bring a fan and power steering belt. IIRC, you will need (2) 13mm wrench to swap the belts.
Ok sounds good. I have the belts already, was going to install this weekend
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:24 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
I picked up the truck this morning. All went smooth, easy trip home

At pickup warehouse

This afternoon. Installed Wolfs/265 BFG's, removed mud flaps, NAS steering wheel, new air filter, TerraFirma shift knobs, detailed.

Tomorrow I plan to install NAS brush guard, LED markers/repeaters, and Nolden LED headlights.

Overall I am very happy with it so far. The frame looks great. I plan to get it up on a lift soon to really see what is going on. The truck is slower then I expected, I plan to get a boost gauge soon to make sure there isnt a leak or something. I hear the turbo. It definitely needs a suspension overhaul and all bushings done. That is getting bumped to the front of the list of things to buy.
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:32 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Sweet 90, I am glad you got it to the final destination without a hitch!
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:45 PM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

Congrats - Looks like a real clean 90!!

QUOTE="st0k3d;758705"]I picked up the truck this morning. All went smooth]
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Congrats Adam looks great with the new shoes! A 200tdi in a D90 should get it down the road pretty well so something's up. Uncle Douglas tuned mine and you can feel it when it spools up and rollin' a little coal and mine is a heavy pig of a 110 - ARB bumper/winch, full roll cage, 33/12.5-15 BFG on HD steelies, two full size spares, Hi-Lift jack, tools... you get the idea. So a 90 with none of the shit on should haul ass. Great looking truck!
Old August 5th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Congrats! Only extra thing on top of what everyone else has said is grab the gease gun!
Old August 6th, 2016, 06:18 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Congrats Adam looks great with the new shoes! A 200tdi in a D90 should get it down the road pretty well so something's up. Uncle Douglas tuned mine and you can feel it when it spools up and rollin' a little coal and mine is a heavy pig of a 110 - ARB bumper/winch, full roll cage, 33/12.5-15 BFG on HD steelies, two full size spares, Hi-Lift jack, tools... you get the idea. So a 90 with none of the shit on should haul ass. Great looking truck!
Ok well I guess this is a good and bad thing. Good that there is probably a good bit more power in it. Bad news is there is an issue to find.

I just ordered a matching VDO boost gauge. I am going to try to do a boost leak test today. The turbo is making noise, but maybe not providing boost as I don't really feel a surge when it should be providing power. I wish I had a local with a 200TDI to take a ride in to compare. If not I guess it is fuel related.

The truck starts right up and idles good. It drives smooth. Just... slow.

Also last night it wouldn't turn off when I turned the key. From quick research I guess it could be the fuel stop solenoid? Ill check that out today.

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2016 07:19 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Congrats! Only extra thing on top of what everyone else has said is grab the gease gun!
Thanks. Grease gun in hand! What am I greasing?

-----------------------------------------------------

I have a stupid question. What position should I be driving with the transfer case in?

There is what 5 settings - Low Lock, Low, Neutral, High, High lock?

I am assuming I want it in high, non locked, for regular driving, bottom right? That is where it is been.
Old August 6th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
You are headed in the right direction with a boost & egt gauge it could be as simple as a loose hose I had that same thing happen and it was just a loose hose clamp.
Old August 6th, 2016, 06:40 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Congrats Adam. I have a 1k miles on my 200 swap and I definitely notice change as the break in miles increased. If the fluids and filters are clean, there are no major leaks and no unusual sounds then I'd recommend taking it out for a few hours. I got this advice as well from the owner of United Diesel hear in Virginia. If this 90 sat a lot of its life then it probably is itching to stretch its legs.

Get a AAA membership. They honestly come in incredibly handy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:38 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Congrats Adam. I have a 1k miles on my 200 swap and I definitely notice change as the break in miles increased. If the fluids and filters are clean, there are no major leaks and no unusual sounds then I'd recommend taking it out for a few hours. I got this advice as well from the owner of United Diesel hear in Virginia. If this 90 sat a lot of its life then it probably is itching to stretch its legs.

Get a AAA membership. They honestly come in incredibly handy.
It only has 80k on it, supposedly only around 3k over the past 7 or so years. Ill give it some miles.

Ill do my tests and go from there

---------------------------------------

In other news I have just learned the hard way that....

1. NAS from bumpers are different then ROW front bumpers. My brush guard won't fit the front bumper, it hangs off the front and no bolt location for the 3rd bolt.

2. Nolden headlights are too deep for my headlight "buckets" or bowls. The H3 connector hits the back.

Looks like THIS will fix that problem. Sucks I have to wait though, I would have had these here already had I known this.

3. BoltOnBits doesn't include the male end of the repeater connectors. Might as well get those from them while I get the headlight adapters.

I got the side repeaters in so far which is nice.

Today's mod day is off to a bad start.

Also looks like my tranny and or transfer case is leaking. Hopefully just from the drain bolts.
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Chowbird
Tim
'84 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post

I have a stupid question. What position should I be driving with the transfer case in?

There is what 5 settings - Low Lock, Low, Neutral, High, High lock?

I am assuming I want it in high, non locked, for regular driving, bottom right? That is where it is been.

Hi Adam. Congrats. Really great looking truck

Yes, correct on the transfer box. Bottom right is unlocked and high. Physically put it in that position. When I originally got mine, I drive it around for an hour and thought the same thing...i.e., she's a little slow. Looked down at transfer case, yup, bottom right...hmmm...moved the lever down from where it was (it looked about as bottom right as you could get) and viola, bottom right was now actually bottom right.

Have fun and keep the pix coming.
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:07 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Found my boost leak. There is a pretty big hole in the 90 degree elbow off the compressor cover. Thank god this thing really isn't that slow. I knew the turbo sounded really loud.

Also looks like my turbo oil drain is leaking some.

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2016 09:07 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbird View Post
Hi Adam. Congrats. Really great looking truck

Yes, correct on the transfer box. Bottom right is unlocked and high. Physically put it in that position. When I originally got mine, I drive it around for an hour and thought the same thing...i.e., she's a little slow. Looked down at transfer case, yup, bottom right...hmmm...moved the lever down from where it was (it looked about as bottom right as you could get) and viola, bottom right was now actually bottom right.
Thanks!
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:08 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You have lots of members near you and a few have the same or similar engines. Amityd90, tomaco1, maybe even rovertek
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:50 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry

Yay for boost leaks. Silicone hose kit on the way.

Yay for different connectors. Anyone know what this connector is called so I can get the proper male ends for the truck? I know I can just cut them off the LED but I would prefer the weather tight ones.

ROW bumpers are different then NAS bumpers? I guess? If the two rear bolts were installed, the brush guard would overhang the front

Yarrrrr
Old August 6th, 2016, 10:02 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Congrats and really nice looking 90! As Josh mentioned there are a few of us around that have similar setups. Looks like you are pretty hands on. I highly recommend Chris at Rovertek if there is anything you might feel is out of your comfort zone. From my experiences with these older rovers, there are always some unexpected surprises along the way. It will keep you busy (if you have the time to DIY)
Enjoy the new "other woman" in your life ;-)

Gery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import