Pick up truck racks (Thule) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Pick up truck racks (Thule)

I'm posting this here because I'm too lazy to sign up for a new forum right now and I'm sure there are a bucnch on members here that are very familiar with Thule Products. My situation is this. From all the Rangies over the years my family has a stock pile of Thule products. All of them are gutter type mounting hardware. I just picked up a new Toyota Tundra and want to use the old rack accesories on it. I am looking for a system to use in the bed of the truck. Thule makes one but it's 500 bucks and uses an all new bar system. Has anyone fitted Thule bars to their pick up truck? If so what did you do?
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2008, 11:56 AM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

I use the Thule Xsporter rack on my F-250. Expensive, like you said, but well worth it. Awesome looks and function. Also make it look a little less like a work truck than typical ladder racks.
The rack can be raised or lowered above or below the cab roof to accomodate big kayaks, bikes, damn near anything.
Old August 4th, 2008, 12:36 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Yeah I would even spring for it but I'm worried there are no adapters for my accesories. For example I have 5 bike racks they I want to mount but they work with the square bars. I believe the xsporter has "aerodynamic" bars. Seems like a simple 50 cent bracket I need but knowing thule you need to buy a while new bike rack. Any experience with this? Do you think the older stuff would fit?
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2008, 01:52 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

The Xsporter bars are large, oval, aerodynamic. Most accessories wont fit. Even my Thule Rollercoaster Kayak kit will not work. Check thuleracks.com to see what does work.
It looks like my F-250 is sold and going overseas, so it does not matter any more for me.
I am pretty sure Thule has made stuff that works on their system, check it out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, rack