Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 15th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Pick up truck love?

Sadly I just lost my father-in-law. He was a good ole boy and loved to give me hell about my "fancy foreign cars" We inheireted some beautiful vintage show cars including a '58 Impala, '55 Bel Air, '32 Ford, Caddy Eldorado, and... a 1997 Chevy Z71 truck. All of the above are still locked away in TN, but I could not resist driving the truck back home to FL. 230,000 miles and still running strong. I LOVE this thing! I am using it all the time, and actually enjoy driving it. I am sure Rover guys have some beloved back up P/U trucks out there as well.
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Sorry to hear about your loss... And yes I love my 46 Chevy Pickup. Nothing like it.
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:07 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Does a 1959 SII "88 land rover Pick Up count?
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Best4x4
Kelly Graham
P38

Hey Burke-- What area of TN????..Who was your Father in law??...Just curious (i have no interest in the cars)
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Sorry to hear about you father-in-law. Sounds like he had some really neat cars.

I learned to drive in an early 70's 2nd Gen GMC pickup - 3/4 ton with no P/S, no P/B and a 4 speed gearbox. We had a long driveway and I'd bring the garbage to the street in that. Then in high school, when I got my license, I rolled in my dad's 3rd Gen, late 70's Chevy (3/4 ton and 4 speed but had power steering and brakes and a plow).

Through out college I drove pick ups and dump trucks for the landscaping crews I worked for. I mostly drove smaller euro cars but always have a place in my heart for ratty work trucks. The closest we have now is a GMC Yukon XL - but to be honest, save for the size, it's nothing near the pickups I used to drive.
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law as well. I grew up on a farm and learned how to drive in a Chevy pick-up truck. My granddad passed away some time ago and he left his 60's model Chevy pick-up to my mother. She's been parked out at my folk's farm for a long time, and she's looking a little worse for wear. My brothers and I plan to bring her back to life, in a year or so (hopefully when I'm done with school), and restore her to her original glory. Probably, not going to shoot for a full restoration, as it was never pristine. Just want it to look like it did when my granddad had it. I've attached a couple of pics that I took back around New Years.

Will H.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PU1.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	25261   Click image for larger version

Name:	PU2.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	25262  

Old February 17th, 2010, 09:27 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Will - depending on how bad the rust is, I'd try to keep it that original color if it's just surface rust and not rotted. That thing would look cool slammed.
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I too love pickups and grew up on a farm in Va. I now drive a 130 crew cab pickup and love it. Probably not the greatest for off road as it has a 1.25 ton cargo rating, with stiff inner & soft outer rear springs for a smooth ride on road and front and rear sways,. The truck handles great and is much better in a turn than my previous defenders- ie find my self driving it harder.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Will - depending on how bad the rust is, I'd try to keep it that original color if it's just surface rust and not rotted. That thing would look cool slammed.
100% agree.
I'm drooling over that truck, Will !
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
No plans to change the color. Like I said earlier, we want to keep it as close to looking like it was when my granddad drove it. The rust on the exterior is just surface, and the frame is in excellent shape. There is however, some rust areas in the floorboards and under the seats that will need some welding attention, but nothing too serious.

Will H.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

Hey Doug, post some pics of that 130. I really need to see and drive one to convince myself that's what I need. Currently my needs are satisfied with the 90 and the F250 PS crew cab. I doubt though that the 130 could bumper or fifth wheel tow as much, and handle a plow... but I don't want a plow anymore- these past two weeks have killed me.
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:15 AM
1000kva
paul girard

I have no reason to have it any more as I spend most of the time behind my computer. But I have a 06' f-150
I intentionally bought it as a stick and love it. Every now and then some mouth breather who's spent more time playing grand theft auto then in school pulls up and tries to "scare" me out of my lane so he can keep weaving through traffic. They get really confused and frustrated when they can't out accelerate my truck in their little rice burner with the big fart muffler.
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My land rover pickup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the 130 003.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	25289  

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110 View Post
My land rover pickup
oooh thats purty. You bringing it to the safari in april?
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:22 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110 View Post
My land rover pickup
:drool:

------ Follow up post added February 18th, 2010 01:26 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
No plans to change the color. Like I said earlier, we want to keep it as close to looking like it was when my granddad drove it. The rust on the exterior is just surface, and the frame is in excellent shape. There is however, some rust areas in the floorboards and under the seats that will need some welding attention, but nothing too serious.

Will H.
Nice. When you guys get working on it please post more pics of it.

Speaking of rusty floorboards, I remember being a kid and my dad had had various pickups and being in Western MA, a few of them had such rotted floors that that I would see the pavement when driving. I thought it was so cool.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat