Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 27th, 2012, 10:24 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Phoenix Wheelers (from the late 90s)...anyone know them?

So, anyone know of these guys? The "Phoenix Wheelers"?

I have an ulterior motive for asking, but figured I'd start with the basics (what/when/where/who) and work my way up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2271.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	59867  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2012, 10:30 PM
d90dan
Dan Berry
1995 D90

Im not sure about phoenix wheelers specifically, but I use to wheel with a few d90 guys down here. Lost touch over the years. Im still running a desert rover setup on my 90.

Dan
Old October 27th, 2012, 10:43 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90dan View Post
Im not sure about phoenix wheelers specifically, but I use to wheel with a few d90 guys down here. Lost touch over the years. Im still running a desert rover setup on my 90.

Dan
Were you involved in the group back in the late 90s?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2012, 10:49 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90dan View Post

Dan
There's still a bunch of us out there wheeling Dan but most of us are pretty south of you.
Old October 27th, 2012, 11:00 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Alright, I'll cut to the chase I guess. I purchased '94 NAS 90 #324 back in May, and the prior owner actually had a copy of the eBay ad from when he purchased the truck back in 2005. When I picked up the truck, I got a stack of papers/receipts and had thought that ad was in that paperwork. It wasn't. Waited too long to contact him, and I think his wife or something accidentally threw it out.

Anyhow, wanted to do a little homework and try to figure out the prior owner that had it in Phoenix AZ. Essentially I am only the 3rd owner, original owner had it 1994-2004/5, sold it to the guy in Arlington VA that I bought it from. The original owner set this truck up with some serious custom mods (homebrew extended shock mounts & dislocation cones, onboard air, lockers front/rear, shotgun mount, Warn 10K winch, SafariGard EVERYTHING - bumper, sliders, frame rail sliders, rear receiver, etc, etc). Was used for some very remote wheeling out in AZ, and still has the dust throughout to prove it!

Below is a pic of how the truck sits currently, but was on a set of 15" white rims w/ 35s I believe when it came east back in 2005 (they came with the sale when I got it). Pulled the Autocheck prior to purchase and it was registered in Phoenix from 1994-2004/5 right before it came here (assuming same owner entire time).

Identifying characteristics are the crease on the tub (seen below), 'Smith & Wesson Chemical Company' shotgun mount in the passenger seat area, and a nice ammo can mounted right behind the driver seat - which can also be seen in the below.

It's a cool truck, and just thought it may be equally cool to chat with the original owner at some point and get some input on the prior life. Any input is welcome, I'm sure anyone doing some wheeling during that period will remember the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	59868  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:23 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
bump for anyone with info on the Phoenix Wheelers!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Might want to try getting hold of Ben from the njlr.org forum. He use to be in the those parts back in the day.
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:56 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Might want to try getting hold of Ben from the njlr.org forum. He use to be in the those parts back in the day.
You have any contact information for Ben?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 4th, 2012, 10:48 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Best way is just to post up on the forum. Work keeps him busy but he has the forum on his RSS feed. Theres a dinner the first wednesday of the month at fuddruggers in bridgewater nj that he shows up to.
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind

I think his info is on all of the FourFold sites - aka all the LRFAQ sites, etc.

Otherwise http://njlr.org/forums/
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Also via OVLR.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:06 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Louis Goldring! Found his name on some papers (for the original 35s) inside the truck. Amazing. So...anyone know him? Bueller? Bueller? Something, D-O-O Economics?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Let the cyber-stalking begin! Good to see he was a member of the original Yahoo list.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 28th, 2012, 12:44 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bump...seriously NOBODY knows Lou Goldring? Come on!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 28th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The logo looks the same.

http://www.asa4wdc.org/clubs/p4w/index.html

Give them a holla!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:52 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
The logo looks the same.

http://www.asa4wdc.org/clubs/p4w/index.html

Give them a holla!
Talked to Dennis (the past president over there), and apparently the club went defunct many years ago. He didn't know Lou, but said that at the events they used to have there'd be 300-400 trucks...so he could have been! Mostly Jeeps, so he thought he may have remembered a Rover but unfortunately did not.

I did find this so it's my next step:
http://www.off-road.com/trails-event...ona-12812.html
Club Name: Ridge Running Rovers
Type of Club: Land Rover Owner's Club, MEmbership $25.00 year, includes monthly new letter. Monthly Trips, Rough to Roughest.
Meetings are held: At monthly off road rallies./Published in News letter
Contact: Darrell D. Murray, President Phone: 520-825-1665 - E-mail:
rdgrnr@flash.net
Contact: Lou Goldring Phone: 602-970-4637 - E-mail: louman@netzone.com
Submitted by: Darrell D. Murray - rdgrnr@flash.net

Apparently "Ridge Runner Rovers" Lou used to be a contact for so maybe I'll see if I can get in touch with Darrell...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, wheel