http://www.pelican.com/luggage/

Time for tab two...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2014, 11:54 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Hardside luggage sucks unless you are transporting something fragile. I'm a professional traveler and know what I am talking about. You are welcome.
Old October 15th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

So oddly addictive.... And hard sided I prefer for travel where I drag opposed to carry (particularly when heavy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2014, 12:10 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Better use it for packing feathers cuz I bet those things weigh a ton.
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Looks like they are heavy. Buzz killed.
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:44 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail/Case/1510LOC/

3#s lighter than the current variant which I use (and I've traveled 75K this year)

Yes the current LOC is heavy, yes I carry it, yes I also fly with my testicles... though I want the new peli in purple please

Gah! $400 no reason to upgrade for those 3#s!
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I find my hardsided samsonites to be adequate; but we also treat them as disposable. If mine last 6mo-1yr I'll be surprised given the way the airlines here treat them.

Everything is a tradeoff; not sure I'd want the weight for the durability.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Can you use them as bridging ladders?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Can you use them as bridging ladders?
Had not considered that...it would be a selling point! Yeah the haul weight is one of the reasons I'm going to use the aluminum boxes for some of my trips. Plastic bags and tape sound better more and more!
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:06 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

If they nixed the retractable handle and wheels, it would be a perfect competitor to the newer watertight boxed like alubox.

The original pelicans are great but this luggage systems seems more appropriately designed and shaped for what "overlanders" use them for.
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Better use it for packing feathers cuz I bet those things weigh a ton.
Weight was conveniently omitted from dimensions, or that entire page. In a world we live in now with ridiculous baggage prices, you'd be better off buying new clothes wherever you're going..
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:09 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Weight was conveniently omitted from dimensions, or that entire page.
No it wasn't. "And we do this with a light touch: for all its rugged durability, Pelican ProGear Elite luggage is surprisingly light in your hand."

Can it do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	joe vs the volcano.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	105161  
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Looks too big. How may pairs of clean underwear does one need? Dont you know the inside out trick?

-Jeff
Who wears undies while on expedition...? one less thing to worry about.

------ Follow up post added October 16th, 2014 09:11 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
No it wasn't. "And we do this with a light touch: for all its rugged durability, Pelican ProGear Elite luggage is surprisingly light in your hand."

Can it do this?
Joe verses the volcano...Hanks Classic...

------ Follow up post added October 16th, 2014 09:14 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
If they nixed the retractable handle and wheels, it would be a perfect competitor to the newer watertight boxed like alubox.

The original pelicans are great but this luggage systems seems more appropriately designed and shaped for what "overlanders" use them for.
Still awaiting to evaluate the Alubox's I ordered...lighter yes, but I doubt if there better than Pelican...it's all perspective.
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:31 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I work for an airline. I won't say which one, but post merger we call ourselves ex-Con.

I will tell you that luggage is designed to protect the contents. Hard sided is best for checked luggage though not indestructible. Soft sided is best for carry on.
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:16 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Who has time to check luggage these days besides vacationers that just get in the way? My Costco soft-sided roll around is pushing 800,000 miles. Still looks good as new. Zippers and all. If you pack like a chick or have a shoe fetish like Horsey, you can still hand carry by using a larger computer backpack for those nonessentials.
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I'd hardly call arms and ammunition and essential counter electronics "non-essentials"...unless you're going to Nassau or something...
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:38 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Shoes are difficult to pack - especially for me (size 13 EEE). Need to pack shoes for walking around in, shoes for going out in, shoes for going out in if it's raining, leather sandals, rubber sandals in case it's raining. If it's a golfing trip - oh man - golf shoes for day 1 of walking the course, then another pair for day 2 for the golf cart. Plus the shoe trees!!
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:40 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I'd hardly call arms and ammunition and essential counter electronics "non-essentials"...unless you're going to Nassau or something...
Touche - good point re: the DOD related travel w/in these threads. Guess my outburst is directed at some colleagues/clients that can add 2 hours to my trips.
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Shoes are difficult to pack - especially for me (size 13 EEE). Need to pack shoes for walking around in, shoes for going out in, shoes for going out in if it's raining, leather sandals, rubber sandals in case it's raining. If it's a golfing trip - oh man - golf shoes for day 1 of walking the course, then another pair for day 2 for the golf cart. Plus the shoe trees!!
Don't forget Flip-Flops for workin on the D90! But for the sake of curiosity Josh...how many shoe trees and or shoe bags do you have in inventory...just curious...
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
I travel all the time, have since I was 12. Really, really hate getting on airlines, kind of why I fly myself whenever I can practicably. However, yes I defiantly prefer soft sided. Hard sided luggage tends to get more attention from customs, not that I have anything to hide, just takes up time (and some countries money). I don't care about the charges or weight, I have so many miles I don't get charged. I always check my luggage and in 40 years have never lost a bag over a gazillion miles in countries most people have never heard of. When I travel, I am getting paid, so I'm not in a hurry.

Now I do have pelican cases I do use for travel. I keep my equipment in them. Normally I ship my stuff ahead of myself. Customs thing, much easier. I still take my cameras and laptop and such with me in the cabin. They don't cover those items from damage or theft. I actually had them drop my Zero Haliburton case off a cart and get it wedged under a wheel and drug the entire way front he aircraft to the baggage area at Anchorage International. It ground off half of one side of the case. I also ruined the Hasselblads and lenses inside. They put it on the bagage carrousel, with bits of glass filtering out, like, maybe he won't notice. So I kind of throw a fit. They tell me they will pay for the bag but not the cameras (I have private insurance for my cameras).

So for the three year period, Northworst Airlines kind of suffered my wrath, every 3 weeks I would do the trip, Miami to Anchorage. Every time they missed my connection. Every time I made them get me a hotel room, meal passes and clothing vouchers for me and the entire crew. They resisted every time, and every time I told the story of the cameras, with 4 part harmony in the background and how they told me to read the fine print on the ticket. I did, and I read all their rules and skewered them with them anytime I could. If the delay exceeds 4 hours you can pull the trigger (or you could with them). We always got another flight at 4.5 hours. I would pass out the vouchers in the terminal to needy passengers.

Would I get their luggage, nope. I have a couple of sets of soft sided ones that are pretty beat. Nice luggage gets stolen. Even the case is worth a lot on Craigslist, more than the fence value of an iPhone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat