Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 18th, 2014, 04:30 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

Pelican Like Tool Case needed

Good Afternoon Gents,

I'm looking for portable tool box that is somewhat discreet on the contents, able to be shipped without being packed, and will hold my tools in place while fedex plays "toss the box".

Size would be something that is able to be carried by one person. Think something that would have a handle on it.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2014, 02:28 AM
redway77
Beatrix

NVG cases are great. I think you could get one cheap on eBay. try this 140958899475 (item number) it's bigger then the ones I have but it would work with added padding. I have two of these 181246001141 they work great and are water proof if the rubber seal is still good.
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:30 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Pelican 1550s....it's what I use for my trail tool setup. 1550 is a nice size, as it's impossible to make it too heavy to carry. I've shipped larger Pelicans with no issue, so I'd assume these should ship fine as well.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
1510 peli is what I use, extending handle/wheels since its carry on sized-like Lav's comment about 1550's difficult to make too heavy and easy to move around.

R-
Ray
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:35 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Hard to beat a Pelican case. That's my planned toolbox for trail tool portage.
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:50 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

I think we actually have a 1510 laying around not getting used. Looks about the size I'm looking for.

I like the 0450 tool case but that's way to big. I travel currently with a 1650 and five other cases. Then a ballistic cloth husky tool bag. Is there any pallet stackable insets for a pelican similar to the 0450?

Thanks for the insight so far!
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by asetliff View Post
I think we actually have a 1510 laying around not getting used. Looks about the size I'm looking for.

I like the 0450 tool case but that's way to big. I travel currently with a 1650 and five other cases. Then a ballistic cloth husky tool bag. Is there any pallet stackable insets for a pelican similar to the 0450?

My opinion having owned and used a 450 I would never go there again. Too much weight and not enough practical space. I'd rather have a 1510 with a tray system if I had FOD concerns.
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Quote:

I use 4 tool rolls (2 large w/a variety of pliers, screw drivers, etc & 2 small wrench rolls with both box and ratcheting ends), a SK metric socket set at the bottom, a few of the plastic socket holders for large 1/2" or specialty sizes, a bag with electrical (multi-meter & other specialty items), with room for a light, work gloves, etc. no pallets just softer rolls seems to work best. Can take pics tomorrow when I am back at home if desired.
R-
Ray
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:46 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
I use 4 tool rolls (2 large w/a variety of pliers, screw drivers, etc & 2 small wrench rolls with both box and ratcheting ends), a SK metric socket set at the bottom, a few of the plastic socket holders for large 1/2" or specialty sizes, a bag with electrical (multi-meter & other specialty items), with room for a light, work gloves, etc. no pallets just softer rolls seems to work best. Can take pics tomorrow when I am back at home if desired.
R-
Ray

What tool rolls do you use?
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
What tool rolls do you use?
Can't speak for Ray, but I've got the Bucket Boss rolls and like them:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 19th, 2014, 06:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I think we should start a trail tool thread w/pics of what actual members tool seats, how they are organized etc. There are plenty of question and answer (theory) threads, but maybe more of a show and tell (actual) thread.

-Jeff
Great idea...start that thing!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 19th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I moved to tool rolls as well. Found some nice canvas ones on Amazon. I think I use 4, marked with a Sharpie so you know which is which.

------ Follow up post added January 20th, 2014 09:05 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Can't speak for Ray, but I've got the Bucket Boss rolls and like them: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
yes, those are the ones I have too.

Semper Fi!
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:09 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

Pelican 1510 with zippered lid and three custom foam trays that will stack on top of each other. They will have the backing that shows different color when tool is removed.

I'll post pics when I get them made. I have a hell of a contact already with work and didn't consider going this route.
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Pelican 1510 with zippered lid and three custom foam trays that will stack on top of each other. They will have the backing that shows different color when tool is removed.

I'll post pics when I get them made. I have a hell of a contact already with work and didn't consider going this route.
Probably the best solution out there for the application/specifications you put out. If no FOD is needed the tool pallet type tray would work well also. No easy ID but simple to add/subtract tools for specific jobs.

There is a hack for the 0450 drawers to fit them, but custom formed trays would be ideal.
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:52 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Since it's a snow day and I have time to follow up; here's my setup. Tools are often very individual and of course tailored; in this case this is my primary toolbox for working on my D1. It's evolved over the years since the 1st truck to where it is now, also having shifted from a bucketboss gatemouth bag into the peli over time too. I'm far from an expert, and have invested in tools over time but don't go toward snap on and the like (at least not yet), hitting the ceiling with craftsman-but for my usage it gets the job done.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1510.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	88310
In her home.

Name:	1510 open.JPG
Views:	1415
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	88311'
When you pop the lid. This was a 1510 LOC (Laptop Overnight Case); hence the pouch velcroed to the lid-that holds the multimeter. The velcro that held the laptop sized pouch holds up the LED AAA powered lamp. Large tool rolls in the middle, electrical on the left with wrench rolls underneath. Large ratchet, breaker bar, absurdly large flat had and such tucked in. The case overall probably weighs...hell, I don't really know-I don't notice. The handles work well, as do the wheels, when on pavement and moving it-you wouldn't want to haul it far. On the other hand its a peli so I don't fear tossing it out the back of the truck and such.

Name:	1510 laid out.JPG
Views:	2973
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	88312
The contents pulled out. Typically there is an effort to not remove more than needed but one of the reasons I like the rolls is good retention of things as they are removed from the peli-trays could do that too but for the amount and variety of tools I had this works well for me in the dark/rain, and such.

Name:	Large tool rolls.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	88313
The large tool rolls are these:
http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...R03&type=0&eq=
clearly not this one, but I can't find the old RN roll. In essence its not much different than a bucket boss one which works well.
http://www.amazon.com/Ergodyne-13770...ords=tool+roll
This is my 'primary' mostly b/c it has the clips vice the cords which makes it a lot easier to get into and close back up. The RN one contains things I need far less often.

Name:	Small wrench rolls and electrical.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	88317
The smaller wrench rolls are milsurplus and can be harder to find these days. I love them for wrench sets; one contains mostly ratcheting metrics, the other standard box ends but with redundancy where useful.
http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/tool-roll...zer-p4925.aspx
The electrical kit is in a Kifaru bag (http://store.kifaru.net/pullouts-p22.aspx, I am sorry for posting the link to that site). Misc other in extremis wiring crap/fuses/etc in a Lowes/HD plastic container. Likewise the AAA powered LED is from one of those hardware stores but is metal vice the plastic ones, magnetic based, and works well all told.

Name:	SK sockets (+).jpg
Views:	704
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	88316Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc Sockets on EE holders.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	88314
The sockets are this: http://www.amazon.com/SK-94549-6-Poi...=sk+socket+set
with add-ons as you can see (drive shaft tool, swivel socket for DS nut removal, etc).
The flexible socket holders that are external hold a variety of specialized things (12 pt 13mm for brakes; torx for transmission fill plug, seats; misc other sizes that I've found need for over time). Those come from EE: https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ortt/

Name:	Misc.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	88315
Other misc stuff for misc things. The truck has some more things in it (hi lift handle to act as a breaker bar extension, hub socket in with the spares, a variety of spares to keep the truck moving, etc).

r-
Ray
Old January 21st, 2014, 03:25 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Very nice setup, I like the tool rolls inside the pelican case idea. Have you see these yet?
They are bigger than they look
Old January 21st, 2014, 03:34 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Off topic, but Ray I'd love to see more of your storage solution for the back of your truck. The fabricated steel painted desert tan makes it look like something pulled straight out of an MRAP. Did you build it?

Old January 21st, 2014, 03:50 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
Very nice setup, I like the tool rolls inside the pelican case idea. Have you see these yet?
They are bigger than they look
ATC stuff is nice but $$$-would be worth it to consider if I was starting from scratch I think. (or may incorporate into the LR3's eventual toolkit.)

------ Follow up post added January 21st, 2014 03:51 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Off topic, but Ray I'd love to see more of your storage solution for the back of your truck. The fabricated steel painted desert tan makes it look like something pulled straight out of an MRAP. Did you build it?
Dave-
Tons of info here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...d-build-thread

The MRAP comment is certainly valid...sometimes I feel like my Disco is just my rendering of 'home'...if I had radio(s) with crypto beeps in it that would certainly be true!
r-
Ray
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:00 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
Very nice setup, I like the tool rolls inside the pelican case idea. Have you see these yet? They are bigger than they look
I'm using my LOC as a carry on this very minute... Glad to know I can repurpose once it takes one too many bumps
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:52 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Are the adventure tool roll guys still in business? Website doesn't load.

Thanks Ray for your excellent show & tell! I have a 1510 laying around that I wasn't quite sure what to do with so I'm going to put something like that together.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat