Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 27th, 2015, 07:50 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Paypal shutting down accounts related to "gift" payments

I'm hearing this morning that this is happening a lot, mainly to people who send gift or friends and family payments often. Paypal shuts down the account and will wait 180 days, then mail a check with the account balance.
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Yep...it was only a matter of time.
Old August 27th, 2015, 09:34 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
It would be pretty (very) stupid of them to just shut the accounts down instead of just rolling out a new policy to charge X% of each "gift" transaction - just make it less than their other charges.

Clearly what they've done is admit that the "protections" PayPal offers and charges as part of their regular goods/services transaction(s) is not seen as very valuable to their clients - hence why so many go the gift route without the protections. PayPal exists because of mistrust, and the gift system has been a great way for those who trust one another to still conduct eCommerce cheaply and easily. Again it'd probably have been easier/more profitable for them to charge a % of transfer for gifts that is less than their regular fee, than to just inactivate the accounts. You can't fix stupid though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I wish more people would switch to Venmo... Paypal is incredibly annoying.

If this happened with a rent payment that I make, I'd be screwed...
Old August 27th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
In light of this, I would like to offer my ecommerce money transfer service at jihadipay.net

This service uses the legendary and highly secure payment backbone of Western Union, paired with financial cells nationwide of off-the-grid couriers that will pick up and drop off your cash at a location convenient to you.

Service fees are very low and tax free. Go to jihadipay.net and try it out, or buy a prepaid phone at Walmart and call 866-al-akhbar to arrange a pickup today.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old August 27th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
I'm hearing this morning that this is happening a lot, mainly to people who send gift or friends and family payments often. Paypal shuts down the account and will wait 180 days, then mail a check with the account balance.
Can't find anything to confirm what you say. Appreciate additional info

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 27th, 2015, 10:05 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Hopefully I've got enough Ebay transactions to offset my private classifieds(forums) Gift transactions.
Old August 27th, 2015, 10:08 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
With the recent split-off of PayPal from eBay, I'm *guessing* it's because eBay wants to open their service up to more payment methods (Apple Pay, Google Wallet, Square Cash, etc). Which would be smart...early on in eBay (before they actually merged with PayPal originally) you could at least do cash/check/money order for items as an option...but that went away when they "forced" PayPal down our throats as literally the only option.

I actually have had zero issues with PayPal, and they do certainly make it "easy" for both business transactions as well as personal payments, but have heard many stories of money being frozen/etc and they seem to operate without impunity. It would be nice to see other payment options for eBay and the like.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 27th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
With the recent split-off of PayPal from eBay, I'm *guessing* it's because eBay wants to open their service up to more payment methods (Apple Pay, Google Wallet, Square Cash, etc). Which would be smart...early on in eBay (before they actually merged with PayPal originally) you could at least do cash/check/money order for items as an option...but that went away when they "forced" PayPal down our throats as literally the only option.

I actually have had zero issues with PayPal, and they do certainly make it "easy" for both business transactions as well as personal payments, but have heard many stories of money being frozen/etc and they seem to operate without impunity. It would be nice to see other payment options for eBay and the like.
X8...
Old August 27th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Wait until the day a buyer files a complaint. You won't want to use PayPal again. PayPal takes the money immediately from the seller. The seller then needs to spend a lot of time and effort getting that money back. Guilty until proven innocent. The buyer does not need to provide any proof when filing the claim. Just a few clicks and your money disappears. The system is very poorly implemented.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 27th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Wait until the day a buyer files a complaint. You won't want to use PayPal again. PayPal takes the money immediately from the seller. The seller then needs to spend a lot of time and effort getting that money back. Guilty until proven innocent. The buyer does not need to provide any proof when filing the claim. Just a few clicks and your money disappears. The system is very poorly implemented.
^this is exactly what I'm referring to.

Ever since RN started doing Paypal it's been a total nightmare.
Old August 27th, 2015, 10:27 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
True that...

Not to mention that they can take money from your bank immediately and takes PP a week to transfers YOUR money to your bank account.

Old August 27th, 2015, 11:02 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
I have been on both sides of PP's system and it has not been pleasant once or twice over 100's of transactions but the thought of going back to checks or wires is the nightmare. The old system was a bigger racket than PP IMO. PP investors have plowed a ton of resources upfront. I just feel like capitalism should be considered a two way street more often. Expecting endless free services at the convenience of our phone is a lot to ask IMO.
Old August 27th, 2015, 11:12 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Paypal pulled this same stunt with firearms related businesses and purchasers a few years back so I wouldn't be surprised if they did this too.
Old August 27th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
In light of this, I would like to offer my ecommerce money transfer service at jihadipay.net

This service uses the legendary and highly secure payment backbone of Western Union, paired with financial cells nationwide of off-the-grid couriers that will pick up and drop off your cash at a location convenient to you.

Service fees are very low and tax free. Go to jihadipay.net and try it out, or buy a prepaid phone at Walmart and call 866-al-akhbar to arrange a pickup today.
Sounds like you finished your "money Laundering " compliance module this august...
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:16 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My understanding is that this is happening a lot to folks doing business in Facebook Buy/Sell/Trade pages where gifting is the standard type of payment. There is also a LOT of misrepresented items and Paypal claims centered in those types of sale boards, so I assume that PP wants to start collecting that 2.9% on all these payments so they can investigate issues under Buyer Protection Claims.

The 180 days stems from the fact that PP freezes your funds for that amount of time to ensure there are no claims opened against you during that time which they might need to take your money for.

I personally don't have these issues with PP, just the opposite, they are fantastic for my needs.
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can't make claims with a gift payment, so I'm not sure I understand that logic.

Old August 27th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
You can't make claims with a gift payment, so I'm not sure I understand that logic.
That was my understanding, you forfeit your right to challenge transactions when gifting the money.
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Here in Canadia, you can do direct bank transfers online between most Canadian banks. Fees depend on your account, but at most are a fixed $1.50 per transaction. It is so much better. No stupid high fees. No ridiculous random taking of money or holding of money.

Old August 27th, 2015, 12:40 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
That was my understanding, you forfeit your right to challenge transactions when gifting the money.
I think the idea is that there might be other transactions against your account, so just because you've done a lot of gift transactions on dweb and facebook, doesn't mean you haven't done business transactions with roversnorth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat