Party like its 1994. NAS values v/s ROW. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 10th, 2015, 05:45 PM
hmmrbrg
HMMRBRG
1972 SIII 109

Party like its 1994. NAS values v/s ROW.

Any thoughts on NAS valuations with 1994 ROWs stateside before you know it. Oh hello there, ExMod Wolf 90 300Tdi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Cajun
G
1987 110

Exact reason I woudnt pay NAS premiums.
Old March 10th, 2015, 05:56 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
By then trying to secure one will be anyone's guess. New defender is going to set the domestic market ablaze and in the UK MOT is cheap/non-existent for 25 year old vehicles as well making them very desirable in solid condition there as well.

also we are talking 2019, 4 years is a long time and it seems with the recent import seizures a lot of people are interested/cautious about imports. I think the NAS trucks will increase in collect-ability since their numbers were limited to begin with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was contacted by a fellow in the Uk this week who had bought himself a v8 90 there and has taken a job stateside and wants to bring it with him. I asked what he had paid for it, 9500gbp thats $14,300 for a 25yr old rhd truck in good nick in the UK.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:11 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I was contacted by a fellow in the Uk this week who had bought himself a v8 90 there and has taken a job stateside and wants to bring it with him. I asked what he had paid for it, 9500gbp thats $14,300 for a 25yr old rhd truck in good nick in the UK.
I do get the impression that values in the UK have increased with the all the individuals scouring the market for US exportable trucks
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:14 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmrbrg View Post
Any thoughts on NAS valuations with 1994 ROWs stateside before you know it. Oh hello there, ExMod Wolf 90 300Tdi!
The Wolfs I've seen are at least 12000-13000gbp anyhow ($18-20K usd + import)...and are more like late-1990s. I'd still rather have a NAS 90, but flip that and I'd much rather have a ROW 110/130 than a NAS 110 (been there, done/doing that).

But it's not like it's going to be much "cheaper" (or easier) to still find a good nick ROW Defender 4-8 years from now...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 10th, 2015, 06:45 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Autovlan.be has a good search function, can search Continent.

Since I am moving to Belgium, that is source for second car for wife (AKA: Honey, Surprise! I bought you a Puma D90!)
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:42 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

NAS will command a premium in the years during the overlap and for a number of years beyond that. Limited edition, roll cages, soft tops, that V8 muscle. At some point in the future 25 year ROW's will gain a premium, just not sure when. Puma years perhaps?
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:58 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
Puma years perhaps?
My concern with the Pumas...sure they're great now, but how well will they hold up 25+ years down the road? The thing about classic cars today, is that they are "simple" to work on (give me a test light and a set of crescent wrenches and a couple of screw drivers and I'm good to go). Try that with a modern day car! It's why I prefer a 1-wire diesel even over a Td5...simplicity.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old March 10th, 2015, 08:37 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
We need to make one of these a sticky since this comes up every couple of months. Same answer as last time. NAS Defenders have helped the ROW market more than anything. NAS are rare, ROW are not. Good examples of either will always command a premium.
Old March 10th, 2015, 08:56 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
My concern with the Pumas...sure they're great now, but how well will they hold up 25+ years down the road? The thing about classic cars today, is that they are "simple" to work on (give me a test light and a set of crescent wrenches and a couple of screw drivers and I'm good to go). Try that with a modern day car! It's why I prefer a 1-wire diesel even over a Td5...simplicity.
Component availability will be a massive problem. Unless 3d printing solves the issue.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 10th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
It will be interesting to see how It all plays out with supply/demand for V8s vs diesels. As more ROWs come over in the future, there will be more diesels flooding the market and Im thinking the demand for V8s will go up. I'm not saying one is better than the other.... it will just be interesting to see how it all plays out with supply/demand.
NAS V8s with their limited numbers, cage, etc. will be an added bonus.

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001
Old March 10th, 2015, 09:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Component availability will be a massive problem. Unless 3d printing solves the issue.
I'm thinking more of trouble shooting, but yes component availability certainly is a concern as well. But I'm reflecting back to Justin @ Lucky8 running Corum with the LR3....VERSUS....Galpin breaking motor mounts in his D90. Justin had an electrical problem on one of the corners for the suspension, which essentially put the truck in "shutdown mode" in the middle of the trail. It took some serious time to trouble-shoot, thought was eventually solved. The same trail (at the same time), Galpin blew out his motor mounts (due to poor maintenence : ).

Granted, down time was probably close to the same for both...but Charles had a legit issue, whereas Justin's was the truck "perceiving" an issue. And - I believe - Justin even had one of those blackbox computer thingy's for the LR3.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old March 10th, 2015, 09:15 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
I keep thinking that it is only a matter of time that I see a good NAS for sale at Gooding in Scottsdale or some other auctioneer at Monterey - actually, something east coast is more likely. I think if that happens, the sky is the limit on NAS trucks. Then they will have been "recognized" as collection-worthy. I think that is only a matter of time. I have seen them in the parking lots in Scottsdale, obviously they are also discerning buyers of other makes.

I mean who ever thought FJ40's would be collectible? Those of us who came of age in the '80's wanted one and can now afford nicely restored ones. And they are doing ok at higher end auctions. Eventually those that came of age in the '90's will want a NAS and can afford a good one. How many 30-somethings saw one as a teen in the late '90's and now can afford one? That goes beyond status buyers, or enthusiast buyers - a whole new money market "that was what I wanted back in the day but could not afford" buyer. They won't want a ROW as that was not what was depicted on brochures of the time. Though there are those that will buy one due to prices and also

Disclaimer: These are the rantings of someone that... "I know nut-ting". LOL!
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old March 10th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
IMO it wont be about NAS values vs home market (rhd) or row (lhd) trucks. It will be the fact that you have a defender and they were discontinued in 2015. These have always been low production number trucks, 7000 a year in the beginning and maxed out around 20k a year when Ford was trying to sell the company.

As Josh said, any good examples should climb in value. While we have all lusted for the later technology of the newer trucks, again I think there may be a flight to the simpler technology like Jason said, because there likely will be parts support issues. Tata has shown they aren't going to be like Ford was in philosophy as far as parts support for older defenders.

I realize most here haven't tried buying late model parts like I do but Rover has been very poor about stocking semi late model replacement parts. For instance the lhd TD5 dash. Parts of this dash are frequently galactically back ordered. The black backer piece (the piece that is grey on the early trucks) is usually not available. When it is I have bought them just because they are. This is a part that showed up on the 2000 model td5 and was in production through 2007, ie what I consider late model and damn well should be available. This lack of availability is used to bolster already obscene prices. Its apparent since Tata's ownership that there is little concern is being given to downline (older model) parts support. Hopefully once Tata no longer supports certain parts a cottage industry of sorts will spring up
making replacements.

Ie Lav will make me billet aluminum lhd Td5 dashes.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 11th, 2015, 01:32 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
that V8 muscle.
You are talking about our Defenders right??
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:02 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdread View Post
You are talking about our Defenders right??
Ha ha! I was being a bit cheeky on that one. Although, compared to an old diesel, sure.
Old March 12th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

These are my opinions.

In general I believe NAS trucks will always have higher values than ROW & UK trucks, at least in North America.
Because:
1) They were sold in the USA and Canada originally.
2) They are limited production.
3) They have been specifically engineered to meet US safety & emissions standards. (I personally would never drive a Defender without a roll cage or one that bellows putrid black smoke out the tail pipe.)
4) There are less concerns over legal issues and can be registered or titled in other states or provinces without worry (due to reason # 1).

That being said, there are some unique Defenders sold in other markets that will probably become quite valuable, especially special models related to or based on the NAS Defender such as the 90SV, 50th Anniversary, and SA 2.8i.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
1994, nas, part