Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Parts only Defender

Hello all.

A lot of you have probably seen this post:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=8779

I have posted in the wanted section twice now, and am on the search for a quality D90 NAS in the low 20's ... well, I've been talking with Dave (who owns that Defender) for over two months now and I think this may be my best bet. I've done a bunch of research and I think it just may be possible to register a Parts Only Bill of Sale in the state of California as a "Junked Vehicle."

Every bit of common sense in me screams that the LAST place this would be possible would be in CA, but with what I see online and the folks I have talked to at the DMV, it seems to be possible.

SO, before I pull the trigger I would love to hear your thoughts. Am I out of my mind? Will this just become a big beautiful paper weight in my garage? Does anyone have any first hand experience with this in the state of California??

Thanks so much in advance. Your insight, and knowledge is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'd rather get a complete but worn out and clean titled Defender than a collection of parts that may not be legally registered.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:47 AM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
You could register that as a Special Construction vehicle (as in no longer considered a Land Rover) for off road use only. The non-rebuildable title kills it for road use in Ca.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Every last bit of common sense should say don't get involved in a vehicle that the owner can't get title to drive on the road.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I'd rather get a complete but worn out and clean titled Defender than a collection of parts that may not be legally registered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Every last bit of common sense should say don't get involved in a vehicle that the owner can't get title to drive on the road.
x2 - the truck definitely looks awesome - the black one with no fender flares is the one I'm assuming you're talking about. We've told him a few times that at most that truck is only worth about $18k in parts, so start your negotiating there. You'll have at least a little bit - potentially a ton of work - to do to get that truck registered successfully, and perhaps you may find it to be near impossible...just as the current owner has found.
Old September 10th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
Hello all.

A lot of you have probably seen this post:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=8779

I have posted in the wanted section twice now, and am on the search for a quality D90 NAS in the low 20's ... well, I've been talking with Dave (who owns that Defender) for over two months now and I think this may be my best bet. I've done a bunch of research and I think it just may be possible to register a Parts Only Bill of Sale in the state of California as a "Junked Vehicle."

Every bit of common sense in me screams that the LAST place this would be possible would be in CA, but with what I see online and the folks I have talked to at the DMV, it seems to be possible.

SO, before I pull the trigger I would love to hear your thoughts. Am I out of my mind? Will this just become a big beautiful paper weight in my garage? Does anyone have any first hand experience with this in the state of California??

Thanks so much in advance. Your insight, and knowledge is much appreciated.
PM me, I may be able to help you...
Old September 10th, 2012, 11:46 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I may also have a solution for your problem also..
Old September 10th, 2012, 11:53 AM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I would wait till you find the right car I sold mine a year ago and could only get 25 for it and I think it was near perfect so I would just hold out and keep looking - the right car will come along and you'll know it

Jay
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop
I may also have a solution for your problem also..
I would love to hear anyone's thoughts, I am so appreciative of the depth of knowledge this forum brings ... BUT I don't think I want to step into the grey waters of VIN / Chassis swaps and such. The asking price on the truck is just not that sweet to warrant that much effort.
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
just think about the divorce ... if you ever need to sell it ... just think how hard that would be.
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

nah...divorce is easy..a "lucky stranger" buys it for below market value..since she is getting half it really doesn't matter.. ebay it and make sure you point out all the negatives...highlight the rust, oil leaks, high mileage etc etc. it wouldn't get much and your wife now exwife gets half of it and your "lucky stranger" gives you back the car (he makes a couple of grand for his trouble and you get to keep the car)..but you have to then register it under a shell corporation name that you are detatched from or better yet, your lucky stranger keeps it registered in his name and you explain away the fact that you are still driving it by teling your exwife you were so distraught over her breaking your heart and you and the lucky stranger hit it off so well when he came to pick it up that you have decided to make him your gay lover boyfriend..courts wont persue due to fears of being accused of sexual preference discrimination...its THAT easy...LOL...
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
I would love to hear anyone's thoughts, I am so appreciative of the depth of knowledge this forum brings ... BUT I don't think I want to step into the grey waters of VIN / Chassis swaps and such. The asking price on the truck is just not that sweet to warrant that much effort.
The best advice here is to wait - the rig you want, for the right price, will show up soon enough. And I'd venture to say that if you ask the forum what else is for sale in that price range, you'd probably get shown a few other trucks for sale that won't have the hassle.
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
nah...divorce is easy..a "lucky stranger" buys it for below market value..since she is getting half it really doesn't matter.. ebay it and make sure you point out all the negatives...highlight the rust, oil leaks, high mileage etc etc. it wouldn't get much and your wife now exwife gets half of it and your "lucky stranger" gives you back the car (he makes a couple of grand for his trouble and you get to keep the car)..but you have to then register it under a shell corporation name that you are detatched from or better yet, your lucky stranger keeps it registered in his name and you explain away the fact that you are still driving it by teling your exwife you were so distraught over her breaking your heart and you and the lucky stranger hit it off so well when he came to pick it up that you have decided to make him your gay lover boyfriend..courts wont persue due to fears of being accused of sexual preference discrimination...its THAT easy...LOL...
I was thinking more along the lines of ... I want a new 911 and don't have space between the stripper pole and the lambo because this defender I bought for a bargain that 'just' needed a title has sat there for 5 years dripping oil without moving an inch ... has finally got to go ... all I need to do now is find someone who thinks they have found a way of titling it ... that didn't come to light in the last 7 years of effort!
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
A bunch of great insight. Thanks guys.
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:40 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

CA title

Stone,
Call Finest City Registration in PB. Talk to the owner about special construction. Each year they have a lottery on the 1st of January for what years that people are requesting special titling for. This is the way that a lot of the factory 5 cars are titled. They really know the CA DMV and can answer your questions.
Clay
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Stone,
Call Finest City Registration in PB. Talk to the owner about special construction. Each year they have a lottery on the 1st of January for what years that people are requesting special titling for. This is the way that a lot of the factory 5 cars are titled. They really know the CA DMV and can answer your questions.
Clay
Awesome! Thanks Clay. I talked to a women there and she was very sweet. She said she woud take a look at the parts only bill of sale and let me know what she thinks.
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:17 PM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Stone,
Clay
The lottery is for new vehicles built to represent whatever year the car originally came out, not for vehicles originally built then assigned a non-rebuildable title. Even with the lottery, vehicles are registered a new special construction, not as the year/manufacture they represent and are assigned a blue tag number (VIN, but on a DMV blue tag riveted to the vehicle).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
part, parts