Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 17th, 2015, 09:44 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Painting my 90

So I've been looking at threads all day about painting the D, and need some of your collective wisdom.
So I'm converting my ST to a SW; No fiberglass temp thing but an aluminum top/sides/rear door, which are old and white and would need to be painted. A little over 10years ago I got SW doors and had them painted Coniston green. Close but really not...
So for fear of having 3 different Coniston greens I thought hey well I'll have to just pain the whole truck to be one color, which of course got me thinking..."didn't you always want to paint this thing???"

So, I'm throwing it out there (and expect the naysayers who'll say, do nothing, it's a defender, blah blah blah, please throw your opinions in too) what's your opinion on getting a pro (working with my guy who's doing all my chassis and other assorted things) to paint it, oh let's say orkney grey for example??

For a little background, he'll do all the doors and clearly all the outside, but my entire inside is top to bottom, front to back dynamatted, and the rear tub is getting a custom shelf and cabinet so none of the original color will be seen. So there will be no where exposing the old color.

Lastly, I'm never selling this, so the whole resale argument is moot. As they say, "it'll have to be ripped from my cold dead hands first". I had a D in '94 and made the mistake of selling it right before 9/11, and finally got as close back to the original as I could in 2004. It is more my baby than all my other cars combined, but I don't love Coniston that much anymore. I've grown to accept it's uniqueness, but a newer more modern color might be nice too, right?

Lastly, the exact color I would potentially change it to is less the issue than the actual change itself. I chose grey just because I plan to overland/green lane it and maybe light trails, and I don't plan on washing it and or waxing it. Grey just seems to look as good dirty, vs let's say black or white or whatever. Just thinking simple yet modern metallic color.

Anyway, the same or new color? That is the question, but paint I'll have to no matter what.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ornkey D.png
Views:	68
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	114027  
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2015, 10:19 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Simple and modern don't go all that well together, at least to my eye. Do you want to maintain a classic aesthetic, or abandon decades of tradition? If you are asking for opinions, keep it classic.
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:20 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
I guess I'm asking coniston gree again or something else?
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2015, 12:51 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The current D90 build we are working on is in gray - and despite my original misgivings about the color, it has grown on me a good bit.

I am due to snap some more current photos that show off the color and contrast with the black bits mounted.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:54 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
The current D90 build we are working on is in gray - and despite my original misgivings about the color, it has grown on me a good bit.

I am due to snap some more current photos that show off the color and contrast with the black bits mounted.
That'd be really great to see as I have the exact same color scheme of black vs (whatever color I decide)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
paint, 90