Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 20th, 2013, 08:15 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Painting an early 110

I'm going to be painting my 110 with a coworker who has a paint booth setup in his garage. My plan is to have the 110 keswick green because I love the color. Problem is I also really like the original galvanized trim look. It's an 85 w/ galvanized trim and cappings in really good condition on the tub and on all four doors. It's currently trident green and after removing the County decals I think the keswick would look w/ the trim remaining galvanized. I've never seen any pictures of a keswick green 110 or 90 with unpainted galvanized trim and cappings; only with painted cappings and no trim on the doors.

Any ideas if it will look ok or have any pics with a vehicle painted as such? I'm fairly excited. He's painted his FJ40 and it looks really really nice. My wife spied it in the neighborhood he lives in and she normally doesn't talk about old trucks ever and does her best to ignore them.

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
What color did he do? I don't know much about auto painting, but I think metallic colors are more difficult to get to look good.
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:19 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
What color did he do? I don't know much about auto painting, but I think metallic colors are more difficult to get to look good.
He did a tan color. Keswick isn't metallic.

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2013, 09:40 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Keswick with galvy cappings would look bitchin'. Go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:10 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I dig the look of the galvy cappings and I think it would look really good with that color combo.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 20th, 2013, 11:53 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Keswick is a great color. FYI: not all colors are available in every paint system. When I repainted my 110, PPG could not do it in Concept and I did not want a base/clear.
Old November 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Keswick with galvy cappings would look bitchin'. Go for it.
X2

Matt, the galvie cappings will look awesome with that color. Do it!
Old April 26th, 2014, 09:38 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Alright. I have installed my Allisport intercooler and radiator. Installed my rear OME springs so the truck doesn't sag with the spare on the rear door. Time to paint prep. I am not planning on removing panels to paint... yes I know I'm not doing it "properly". That's not my goal. The paint is faded and has extreme patina. It's 29 years old. This is meant to refresh it and change it to the most ballin' ass color ever.

What have people done for random spots like the rubber strips that go between the roof and the sides? There's like 2mm or 3mm visible? Obviously I can tape things like cappings etc. and then do the same with rubber seals on windshields and push the tape under it too but that part has me completely miffed. Any ideas? Or just paint it and not worry?

Or should I deal with the ass pain of unbolting the entire interior roll cage, removing the headliner and all the panels and door and roof? I mean. I just want it painted. I can always do it again correctly like 12 years from now when I am not in the military anymore and have free time.
Old April 26th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Take it apart…

If you have a skilled helper you should be able to strip out the interior, pull the glass, roof, upper sides, doors, wings, floors, grille, and bonnet off in a weekend.

You can leave the seatbox, tub, t-posts, and bulkhead in place - drill the rivets and pull off the galvanized pieces you want to keep unpainted. Mask the mechanicals (engine, trans, frame, steering wheel, etc…) and go to town with the paint.

let it cure a couple weeks while you clean up the galvanized bits and tend to any mechanical items that need touched while you have easy access - and then start putting it back together with new foam seals and rubber bits.

Not quite a full restoration - but a million times better than just masking and spraying. It's easily 4 times the down time of a quick fully assembled respray but if you intend to keep or sell the car it is the right way to do it short of a full disassembly.
Old April 26th, 2014, 10:13 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Take it apart…

If you have a skilled helper you should be able to strip out the interior, pull the glass, roof, upper sides, doors, wings, floors, grille, and bonnet off in a weekend.

You can leave the seatbox, tub, t-posts, and bulkhead in place - drill the rivets and pull off the galvanized pieces you want to keep unpainted. Mask the mechanicals (engine, trans, frame, steering wheel, etc…) and go to town with the paint.

let it cure a couple weeks while you clean up the galvanized bits and tend to any mechanical items that need touched while you have easy access - and then start putting it back together with new foam seals and rubber bits.

Not quite a full restoration - but a million times better than just masking and spraying. It's easily 4 times the down time of a quick fully assembled respray but if you intend to keep or sell the car it is the right way to do it short of a full disassembly.
:'( That sounds so miserable.
Old April 26th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
It can be. Still a lot of work… But when it all matches, inside and outside, and you need to pull a panel or adjust something later on without cracking painted-over seams you'll be glad you did.

The answer to your question on how to shortcut the roof gasket is:
Unbolt the roof and lift up enough to remove the rubber. Mask and set on spacers in place. Paint and when cured put the gaskets back in and bolt the roof down.
Old April 26th, 2014, 10:20 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
It's really not that bad
Old April 26th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Aren't you like a Lt. Col. by now Greenie?
You can't be seen rollin' in a 110 with a cheapo respray!

I think Mybluett is onto something, it will look mo better in the long run...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old April 26th, 2014, 10:26 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
If I do his work around then I might as well take it all apart. Sadly I'm still a lowly Captain but I am crushing flight hours like a boss. It's just a lot of down time and work. Is it bad to spray it shitty styles and then live with it for a while until I have more time? Is that too ghetto?
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
It is a ton of work to fix a bad paint job.
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:17 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
It is a ton of work to fix a bad paint job.
How much more than what the paint job or lack of paint job is now? The reality is I'd be happy brush painting it without taking it apart to spray.
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:26 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Lol.. oh come on.. it's really not that bad to take it apart. It's like a Lego truck .. are you really going to be happy with brush stokes on your truck?
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:31 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Lol.. oh come on.. it's really not that bad to take it apart. It's like a Lego truck .. are you really going to be happy with brush stokes on your truck?
I was with my 90 I DD'd for 3.5 years in the UK. I think of Rovers the way I think of dogs. I'd be happy with any of them and would gladly adopt every single one that needs a home. There has only been one Rover that I ever wanted to get rid of.

If you do it right the brush works alright and doesn't leave terrible lines or strokes.
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:37 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I understand that...I feel the same way. Would that be to load up with a lot of paint and use a soft brush? And what was the Rover and why?
Old April 27th, 2014, 01:21 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
If I do his work around then I might as well take it all apart. Sadly I'm still a lowly Captain but I am crushing flight hours like a boss. It's just a lot of down time and work. Is it bad to spray it shitty styles and then live with it for a while until I have more time? Is that too ghetto?
I'm telling you, it's really not that bad. These trucks are not hard to take apart and even easier to put back together. Nothing looks worse than a shitty respray en place. Honestly, I love the patina of the early Defenders. Jason Rose's brown truck is gorgeous and has so much character. I wouldn't ever paint it but if I had to, it would be a proper job.

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, paint