Painting a Defender - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 14th, 2007, 09:13 PM
97 SW
Originally Posted by woldd90
...I am thinking about painting it, but not the same color. Do you think that this would affect the value in the future? Scott
It depends on how you define "future value". If value is the fun, satisfaction and "psychological horsepower" gain you'd realize by modifying the truck to suit your individual tastes and needs; then changing colors may increase the value to you, especially if you like working on your truck. The real question then becomes whether or not it makes sense to you financially to paint the truck or sell it and buy what you really want.

Changing the color may negatively affect the future value from a collector standpoint, though.

Taking it to the extreme; at some point a rare and valuable vehicle, in effect stops being a "car" and behaves more like a commodity (ie: art) in the market place. You can bet that fact hasn't been lost on Copley with regard to LE #300/300. That truck is - arguably - already an art piece of historical significance (and priced accordingly, I'd wager....)

In any niche commodity market environment, the players all know the pieces "in play" and often trade back and forth among themselves. One way or another, they also mostly seem to know what pieces are virgins (untouched survivors) and what pieces have been altered. This affects prices. As a rule, in the collectors world, "It's only original once" is a guiding principle....

Old November 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
My suggestion is to galvanise the cappings. It prevents corrosion, and the look ties to the Land Rover heritage. If you are going to re paint (same color/recolor doesn't matter) the truck, now is the time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat