Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Update - If I can get this together it wont be fast. The biggest problem is the application of paint. It really needs to be done with a very precise touch-up gun, otherwise the paint gets too thick in the bolt-holes. ECR has probably broken the code, but not amateur-guy here. This is not ready for prime-time yet, but is still not out of the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2006, 05:25 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Update - If I can get this together it wont be fast. The biggest problem is the application of paint. It really needs to be done with a very precise touch-up gun, otherwise the paint gets too thick in the bolt-holes. ECR has probably broken the code, but not amateur-guy here. This is not ready for prime-time yet, but is still not out of the question.
Our trick is to turn down the heads of the SS bolts a little to clear the mil thickness of the primer and paint, otherwise the head eats the paint on the way in. On the door side do not "spin" the head. Hold it fixed and turn the nut. On the bulkhead side that is not possible so you just have to be careful. PPG is real sticky about mil thickness and warranty, so we can't shoot thin paint.
Painting these things SUCKS by the way. We had to make a little jig that holds them so that we could get paint on all sides and in the cracks. You can't paint them flat, you can't paint them open, you can't paint them closed, etc etc. We had to make it so that you can't see where the jig holds them, but we have the ability to open and close them during painting so that if the door is open or closed you can't see a paint or primer line.

Paint shops hate small parts and they hate mixing a ton of colors they don't normally spray, so be sure you check with the paint shop you plan to use before you go much further.

Just my .02

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 24th, 2006, 07:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thanks for the comments Mike - this is exactly the problem I'm going through now. You really cant get thin paint onto the hinges. I used a custom mixed spray can to ensure I had yellow paint deep in the crevaces to keep from having too much paint build up with the big gun, but still it built up around and in the holes. I did as you said and turned the bolts around the edges too, but still, on the bulkhead side, the twisting tore up the paint.

Bottom line is I plan on doing this myself to get the standard I want, but I have to refine the process a bit. When I enquired about having it done at a shop (even at the same time as doors and caps) the price was still exhorbitant or the attitude was indifferent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2006, 07:11 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I'm down with a set of coniston green.
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

I could use just the hinges in Alpine White, but I don't need hardware. Just the hinges.
Old October 26th, 2006, 03:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Matt - why dont you go see George, you'll probably get a better price. I also got a new radiator for my truck from him, which cost substantially less than 800 dollars.
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

I'm scared of George.

Just kidding, just kidding. He's my boy; I just didn't know he had the new style hinges -- I thought they were an aftermarket item.
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Demand only prepainted G4 orange hinges, they're gooberific.
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:47 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Jim have you thought of selling these unpainted and letting us DIY the paint job? Im not too picky about how thick my paint is or worrying about paint lines.. I'd just get a can of touchup, make them red, and be done with it..

just a thought,
~Steve
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:13 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Turns out that the best price I can find right now is awful close to Rovers North's - I was able to find used hinges for my truck for 25 bucks each, but they are not always available. Also, one of the hinges seems to be on back order indefinitely. So this project is pretty much dead in the water for the forseeable future. I figure a better idea is just a good write-up with pix for my hinges.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:44 AM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Since its dead, can you PM me the part #'s? I wanted to pass the info onto my parts guy in the UK who says they dont exist.
Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
door, paint