Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 17th, 2006, 04:25 PM
sixpot
Luke Dolman
1973 109 SW 2.6 RHD

Paint?

Hi Guys

Hoping you might be able to help. In the UK I used to use a paint called Tekaloid which is a coach enamel that dries quite slowly so you can get a really good finish with a brush/roller or whatever. Doesn't sound promising but actually it comes in all the series Land Rover colours and you can get a really good finish with it. Perfectly good for a series Land Rover anyway and actually impressed my old next door neighbour who earned a living spraying show vehicles at Land Rover!

I've been trying to find something similar over here as my paint's looking a bit tired now and it's getting a bit patchwork where I've repainted panels, etc. If it was original paint I'd just leave it and enjoy the patina but a previous owner painted it a particularly horrible colour that's now starting to show through in places. Really need to repaint the whole thing again but don't want to spend much on a (nicely) beaten up old truck....

Any one got any suggestions, be they spray, brush or leave it alone...?

Cheers
Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2006, 08:47 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

According to the Honda forum, primer is the new color on the street.

I think I'd call an old buddy in the UK and get him to UPS you some of that Tekaloid...
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:14 AM
sixpot
Luke Dolman
1973 109 SW 2.6 RHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
According to the Honda forum, primer is the new color on the street.
LOL - and there was me thinking there were a lot of "rolling projects" out there...

Seriously, if I thought I'd be able to get some UPS'd over I'd do that but I can't imagine it'd get through customs. Anyone know any different?

Cheers
Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Sorry to change the subject slightly but I am in need of paint myself but for the frame and the wheel wells. Mine is peeling off whenever I take a garden hose to it. Is there some genuine underbody paint somewhere or some alternitive?
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydefender
Sorry to change the subject slightly but I am in need of paint myself but for the frame and the wheel wells. Mine is peeling off whenever I take a garden hose to it. Is there some genuine underbody paint somewhere or some alternitive?
I use 3M undercoat stuff, it looks pretty good and has lasted through our New England winters and several pressure washings.
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

For the chassis, also consider the Eastwood 'Rust Encapsulator'. Worked great on my CJ-7, and can be done by brush or spray. Then topcoat it with a thicker undercoating if you want

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpot
LOL - and there was me thinking there were a lot of "rolling projects" out there...

Seriously, if I thought I'd be able to get some UPS'd over I'd do that but I can't imagine it'd get through customs. Anyone know any different?

Cheers
Luke
Depends on the contents of the paint. You migt have to ship it via cargo containor. . .

EwS
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM
sixpot
Luke Dolman
1973 109 SW 2.6 RHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Depends on the contents of the paint. You migt have to ship it via cargo containor. . .

EwS
Digging around today and it looks like Paddocks will ship paint to the US. I'm guessing it's the same stuff or something very similar. Will find out and post back.

Cheers
Luke
Old July 21st, 2006, 08:01 PM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

Try the marine paints such as Interlux brightside, will work on metal with the proper primer and has amazing self leveling properties. I can get a better finish with this and a roller than I can with the interlux two part that is meant for spraying. I'm not sure about custom colors but it is awesome paint to get a smooth finish without the hassle of spraying.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/default.asp

Recovering NAS 110 Owner.

There is a thin line beyond which you really can't fake...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
paint