Packing a SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Packing a SW

Man I dont know how SW owners do it. I am packing the 97 SW for the first time for a weekend up at SCARR and these rear seats are messing me up. I used to be able to load up the 94 in no time and I've spent 3 hours reorganizing, moving, shifting stuff around here with the SW.

I think these things need to come out when I get back. They take up too much valuable space.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2006, 09:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
damn man sorry to hear. I usally fold em up or use one side for something. I find them handy sometimes. You can stack shit to the ceiling what in particular are you having trouble with. I moved all my worldy posessons out in it when I graduated from college. I also brought a long a buncha of my girl friends stuff since she was a long for the ride. granted I couldnt see out the back but there was a lot less room to bake out. O yeah and most of the time I have the spare in the back too, boy I need to get a Mantec
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loded.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	5344  
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:53 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

That there is a packed D90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I took out three of the four seats - we just use the one just behind the passenger seat because I only occasionally carry a third passenger. I put one of Troys boxes on the left wheel well and my tool box fits behind the seat on the right wheel well.

here's a shot of the packing job to transport two guys and all their "stuff" to MAR last year.
Attached Images

Old April 6th, 2006, 01:50 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I think these things need to come out when I get back. They take up too much valuable space.
Toss those things! All it takes is a bump with a 200-lb passenger and those fiberboard bottoms will split! When I had my rear seats I think I only used them about five times in three years. Once I sold them I installed Troys famous lock boxes. Ever since I've had plenty of room; that and a roof rack helps too. I can get an Engel 35, a couple of good sized duffel bags, and my little girls carseat (I install a forward facing bench) into the SW with quite a bit of room left over.

DJ
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Do roof racks not fit on a SW?
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
Do roof racks not fit on a SW?
They do! and so do nice tidy Ali boxes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 6th, 2006, 08:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
damn man dont you get out much you ever seen an LE? t
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Glad to hear folks using the Famous Troy Boxes! Chris don't you have two or did you get rid of them..? I would be happy to sale or trade you a few more?

Troy
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I just installed a Hannibal roof rack so I can haul more stuff!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	finally.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	5349  
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:36 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
whats the deal on that Defender? take a picture in the daylight Ive been contemplating one of those Hannibal racks
Old April 6th, 2006, 10:15 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

The Hannibal rack is very well designed and built - I'm pretty impressed with it. I bought mine from Atlantic British - talk to Eric Riston - $1195 and it includes the rear ladder. If you get it shipped to a commercial address it saves you some bucks on shipping ($36 savings to Atlanta).

I've seen racks that wouldn't hold up to weeks spent on rough roads - these South African racks are obviously designed to hold up to that sort of environment. A friend of mine was touring Mexico, Guatemala and Belize many years ago - he had to stop and get his roof rack welded up twice (then he rolled the truck - end of truck, roof rack and trip - they were OK but they had a freshly purchased bag of flour on the seat between them when the truck left the road - with shallow head wounds - lots of blood- and covered in flour they emerged from the truck looking like bleeding ghosts scaring the heck out of the locals)

Atlantic British has the latest version with the cast legs, rounded rear corners and T-slots in the floor panels. The bars that sit in the gutters are about !/4" x 1-1/4" - very stout. I'ts quiet too - I drove about 180 miles today and didn't notice any additional wind noise at any speed up to 75 mph.
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:39 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Or you can get someone to custom bend a rack for you....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tomichi.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	5350  
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

here are a couple of daylight shots..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rack1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	5351   Click image for larger version

Name:	rack2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	5352  

Old April 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Or you can get someone to custom bend a rack for you....
Dave your front end doesn't articulate very well? You have a 3 link right? Did you have your sway bar hooked up in that pic?
Old April 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
oh, c'mon Mike, you've seen me articulate....

I believe a couple things were happening there. A full truck, lot's of weight in the rear and top, where the hole in the ground was. So I was really light in the front and coming up an off camber incline. The camera angle is deceiving if you look at the trees in the background and my head angle in the cab. I'm actually farther over in lean angle than it the picture relates. It was a momentary picture Kevin took. I was like that for a second or two before the suspension flexed a little more.

We had two Disco's with us without sways as well and all of us lifted wheels in that. 3 link or no.

I'm not sexy flexy though. Not like you
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:39 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
uh. I dont think I could open my pop up sun roof which is important.
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

If you use your truck like a school bus now and then like I do, then keep the damn seats. I haul my youngest sons friends around in the back -- they love sitting sideways and making faces at other motorists! I've taken 7-8 folks off-road in the 110 several times -- Death Valley, Pismo Dunes, Camino Cielo, and more. It's fun to entertain an amuse friends with in unique ride in exceptional country. Naturally EVERYTHING else goes on the roof at such times!

When you have someone in the back you have to drive gingerly, otherwise you'll break someone's neck. The rearmost seats are like an amusement park ride -- every bump in amplified pretty agressively.

DW
Old April 9th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

why not take out the seats , make storage boxes to fit the space, pad the top of boxes with wadding, and cover.
Storage and seating in one!?

Old April 9th, 2006, 07:40 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troys
Glad to hear folks using the Famous Troy Boxes! Chris don't you have two or did you get rid of them..? I would be happy to sale or trade you a few more?

Troy
Hey Troy,

I never got to install the boxes I got from you. Before I moved down here to TX, I was going to go to a full time half-cab set up and they were a tad higher than the sill. When I moved, I didnt have the room so I sold them off. Now that I have the SW, I should have kept them.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
If you use your truck like a school bus now and then like I do, then keep the damn seats. I haul my youngest sons friends around in the back -- they love sitting sideways and making faces at other motorists! I've taken 7-8 folks off-road in the 110 several times -- Death Valley, Pismo Dunes, Camino Cielo, and more. It's fun to entertain an amuse friends with in unique ride in exceptional country. Naturally EVERYTHING else goes on the roof at such times!

When you have someone in the back you have to drive gingerly, otherwise you'll break someone's neck. The rearmost seats are like an amusement park ride -- every bump in amplified pretty agressively.

DW
LOL... I hear ya and the young ones in the extended family do like the "troop carrier" seats, but if I had both a rear seating row AND the jump seats like your 110, those babies would have been gone already. Plus I do have another truck to get more than 2 around in. I was looking more at them this weekend in between trail runs and they are really messing up my action. I dont have kids nor involved with anyone that has kids and even if I did, as you pointed out, I really wouldnt want to strap them back there while wheeling.

Quote:
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac