Packages for some Army buddies - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 30th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

All great ideas, especially the baby wipes. FYI chocolate items generally suffer badly in the heat. Ziplock bags are valued as is anything that can be easily taken on patrol. Eg nuts in small packets, cured etc meats,

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2014, 07:48 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I would only be guessing on what to pack for them. Only someone who has been there done that would know what you really want and need. I started a collection up at work today...will run it for a week, match the funds and then go shop and ship next week. One of the guys I work with is retired navy and he was telling me how much he looked forward to those packages. He said he remembered an announcement being made that thousands of pounds of stuff was going to be delivered to the ship and it turned out to be mainly equipment...and what a let down it was. It will be good to make someone's day.
No offense to Navy because I love my brethren, but our deployments are usually different. Talk to combat arms guys to figure out what is actual care package material. I hope that statement is not received the wrong way.

Also, be wary of shipping companies. They will try to screw you in cost for care packages. Stick to flat rate boxes.

Most importantly, remember that these care packages aren't going to your kids at camp. These packages are going to your men and women on the front lines! If they are deployed and they are in a support MOS on a large base, then they probably have access to the the luxuries of home. The remote bases are a whole different ball game!

I will digress now, got caught up there for a second.
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:16 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Just don't forget that some of us Sailors spend more time on land than at sea....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2014, 08:19 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Just don't forget that some of us Sailors spend more time on land than at sea....
True!
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:34 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

All great suggestions! I am expanding my list now.
PMs sent.
Thanks to you all!
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:17 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

The reason I mentioned this Navy gentleman was because he and I were discussing today and his story touched me. In my office I’d say 40% employed are ex-military or reserve. There are all branches accounted for… a dear friend of mine was Army first and then Navy. I will ask around tomorrow and see if there are any more ideas, but I think I pretty well get it. MREs?...my son made me share one with him for dinner once. There should be a thread on most creative ways to make those things taste good. It was dry, bland, soggy and gritty all at the same time. How does that happen?!
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:47 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I can get my cooking and baking class to make a bunch of cookies, if that will work.
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:52 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
I can get my cooking and baking class to make a bunch of cookies, if that will work.
Works very well if you can vacuum seal them. Amidst transition ashore for a winter 'surge' into Afghanistan my mail got jacked to hell and the xmas cookies my (now) wife sent me didn't actually get to me till late Feb; but they still tasted fantastic b/c they were sealed up.

r-
Ray

------ Follow up post added May 1st, 2014 08:54 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
The reason I mentioned this Navy gentleman was because he and I were discussing today and his story touched me. In my office Id say 40% employed are ex-military or reserve. There are all branches accounted for a dear friend of mine was Army first and then Navy. I will ask around tomorrow and see if there are any more ideas, but I think I pretty well get it. MREs?...my son made me share one with him for dinner once. There should be a thread on most creative ways to make those things taste good. It was dry, bland, soggy and gritty all at the same time. How does that happen?!
How long ago was this, b/c the new ones are light years better than the old five fingers of death and such...

There is a reason I haven't eaten an entire entree out of one of those in the past 10 years. Thankfully there are enough calories in the snacks to get by as long as you supplement.
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:51 PM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Works very well if you can vacuum seal them. Amidst transition ashore for a winter 'surge' into Afghanistan my mail got jacked to hell and the xmas cookies my (now) wife sent me didn't actually get to me till late Feb; but they still tasted fantastic b/c they were sealed up.

r-
Ray

------ Follow up post added May 1st, 2014 08:54 PM ------

How long ago was this, b/c the new ones are light years better than the old five fingers of death and such...

There is a reason I haven't eaten an entire entree out of one of those in the past 10 years. Thankfully there are enough calories in the snacks to get by as long as you supplement.
I highly doubt they are eating MRE's, I'm sure they are eating tray rats which aren't that bad.

Is anyone putting together a package I can paypal a some money to?

Also guys, I don't know if this helps, but I always hated when people sent dollar store razors and shaving cream.
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:58 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

There is a reason I haven't eaten an entire entree out of one of those in the past 10 years. Thankfully there are enough calories in the snacks to get by as long as you supplement.[/QUOTE]

I guess it's been about two years since we split one. He was so excited about it and was saying how great it was... I pretended that I thought it was yummy too. He is something else. The snack was the best part.. a large cracker with peanut butter. The entree was some kind of stew..ugh

------ Follow up post added May 1st, 2014 09:06 PM ------

Had a stand up talk with my co-workers today and announced the drive just in case anyone missed it yesterday...and I put a collection jar on the break room table with a sign on it saying.."Soldiers care package donations. Please give xoxo " ..when I left this afternoon it was almost full! They rock.
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:32 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximal View Post
I highly doubt they are eating MRE's, I'm sure they are eating tray rats which aren't that bad.

Also guys, I don't know if this helps, but I always hated when people sent dollar store razors and shaving cream.

Max,

My family and I putting together a few boxes. I'd be more than happy to put something together for you and include some pictures.

PM me for paypal. I'll do the same for anyone else. Please do it as a gift to a friend.

For all of you that have been on the receiving end of this, are cigars a welcomed item?

Adam
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:57 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:

Odd, I have always thought most tray rats sucked ass. At least with MREs you can RF a case and have decent stuff.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:36 AM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Odd, I have always thought most tray rats sucked ass. At least with MREs you can RF a case and have decent stuff.
Haha idk I guess I ate enough of them that it stopped mattering.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:26 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
PM the address... I will get some boxes out.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:25 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
As Ray stated....double them in a zip lock baggies and good to go. For the past 6 years, we have been making "cakes in a jar". Include a can of icing and candles and you have a mobile bday cake.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:57 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
I highly doubt they are eating MRE's, .
Not sure why you'd say that... there are still PLENTY of dudes who are living off MRE's for up to a few weeks at a time or longer.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:37 AM
Maximal
Max
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Not sure why you'd say that... there are still PLENTY of dudes who are living off MRE's for up to a few weeks at a time or longer.
Because they are on Kandahar. Just because the TCN DFAC employees left doesn't mean they don't have tray rats.

And my last deployment I only went to a DFAC the day I flew in and the day I flew out, so I'm familiar with the struggle if you will.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
mightymo
matthew m
'95 Disco 300TDI

Registry
Who cares if its MREs or tray rats...neither are appetizing after more than a few days...and if we're talking weeks or a few months...ugh, my stomach hurts just thinking about it. What is important is that there are some brave souls that have requested a little reminder of home. Rick, let us know if there are any special requests (i.e. candy, jerky, protein bars, tuna fish, dried fruit, whatever, magazines, etc. ). I'm sure a lot of folks on here would be more than happy to accommodate some special boxes.

Oh, and I wanted to echo the use of flat rate boxes. If you ship regular mail the shipping will eat you alive. You can stuff a lot in those flat rate boxes and save some $$ on shipping.
1997 D90 NAS (SOLD)
Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:16 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
My nephew just got deployed back to Kandahar (4th trip) and took a platoon to do security work for draw down. I just got an email that all the contractors and mess halls are closing and they are mainly surviving on MREs. He has 20 "green" troops under his command. If anyone can spare a couple of minutes to pack up a box of ready to eat type food or snacks, he will make sure it gets to these guys. Any thing would be appreciated. We spent the weekend packing boxes and making "cake in a jar" for them.
PM me for mailing addy.
SSG Rbt Mills thanks you in advance for any support, as do I.
I'm definitely in. Will PM you for name/address.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:55 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

Quote:

Paypal received from Maximal...

If anyone else wants to contribute to this via Paypal I'm more than willing to do the purchasing/shipping portion. I'll post pictures of your purchase and post tracking info.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac