Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:17 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
P38 Range Rover

Hi. A friend of mine just inherited a 1999 P38 with 128k miles and trying to help get her some info. They just had the transmission rebuilt. Anything else typical to watch out for?

Also... anyone recommend a shop in NY or West Nyack? I saw these on the main thread... but a bit dated:

Bedford Greenwich Automotive
Expedition Imports

Also... as I was poking around... read this on EE:
The MKIII (2003 - Present) is completely legit as an overland vehicle, yet almost no one actually uses them as designed. We know of at least one London to Cape Town adventure with the MKIII, but seriously, these trucks are reliable, super comfortable and completely capable. Install some better tires and start driving south. This does not apply to the P38 – I would not recommend taking that out of your zip code.

Any reason these are "less reliable" than any other Rover?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2012, 07:44 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Change coolant and pollen filters
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have four what do you want to know?

Remarkably large and vulnerable electrical system. Chain driven, electrically shifted transfer cases. Prone to HVAC issues that require expensive repairs. Brake pumps fail. Parts are more difficult to find than say parts for a Discovery.

The L322 has its own set of issues, from driveshafts to steering columns, to paint chipping off door handles.
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Blend motors fail, as do the heaters motors. HVAC head can fail too.. also take a look at the fuse box, they overheat, grounds get crusty and the box takes the brunt of it, new boxes are pretty cheap, I grabbed a clean one from a pick and pull for $10. EAS systems fail, but most have been converted to shocks. MAKE SURE SHE DOESN"T OVERHEAT IT!!! and keeps a watchful eye on the coolant and oil level. Constant oil changes are a must, 3k religiously, Rotella 15/40 and a QUALITY oil filter, Not fram. Mobil one or K&N, WIX. Periodically put it in 4lo. Heater o-rings go on them.. it will smell like coolant in the cabin and the rug may be wet.

Mine has 210K on it, little has been done to it over the years, I picked up a decent 4.0 and rebuilt it this spring, mine had developed a tick and low oil light (but it was abused and I was lazy about oil changes, and checking the level..) it's a one family Rover has its little issues but I love it. Would love to inherit another one, or find one that needs a motor.

check out rangerovers.net tons of info in the P38 faq...
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:53 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
Thanks... this is helpful. She just got it so probably haven't put over 50 mi on yet but questions are already starting...
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:50 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftshopduane

Mine has 210K on it, ..it's a one family Rover has its little issues but I love it.

Sounds like a perfectly normal Land/Range Rover to me.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
range rover