Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 4th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
P&P Exocage Value

So I've got this P&P full external roll cage for a 110 CSW. It was installed on a parts vehicle I bought that I don't think it was ever actually driven. It had tie-ins for an internal B-hoop and I had P&P make one to match the cage.

I'm thinking of going a different direction on my build and starting to think I may want just an external front hoop and half internal cage.

So I guess my question is: what's a used (but unused) cage worth? It's admittedly scuffed up from being moved around in storage, the b-hoop is unpainted and the front cross-brace is unpainted as well(was missing when I bought it so I had one made by P&P). Some of the hardware is starting to show a bit of rust from when it sat outside. It is complete and I even have the original manual that was in the truck still.

Oh I should mention I had the front struts (tie to the bulkhead) galvanized and I had the tie-ins to the rear cross-member freshly gold zinc plated.

Still deciding what to do, but if I can figure out roughly what it's worth it will help me decide how I want to move forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	122214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	122215  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2015, 11:25 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You'll probably want to provide model number (unless there's only one). I'm curious what that looks like from the side - is that a light bar set back from the windshield (does the portion above the B pillar curve forward)?
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
It's a really good looking cage, a buddy of mine on here has one. I'm not sure it lost much value being installed and removed, probably still worth something to a good amount of people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
No number I can find. The manual jast says "full external cage for 110sw".
Yes there is a light bar mounts on the top of the front hoop and the b hoop curves forward to mount to the seatbelt bracket. I'll look for a side pick. It's not on a truck right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:39 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A new cage is more than 3k after shipping. I'd start by asking for offers between 1.5 and 2k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 4th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Not quite a full side shot, this is the closest I have.

I guess I should start looking at what the new one I want will cost me and see if it makes sense.

Does anyone make a cage that has an external front hoop that looks like a NAS 90 front hoop buy ties into an internal cage through the sides of the roof. I see the Safety Devices ones, but they look like they mount through the top of the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	122230  
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:06 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Still deciding what to do, but if I can figure out roughly what it's worth it will help me decide how I want to move forward.
First, my opinion is that you should use the cage. These things are NOT cheap.

Second, have you tried contacting P&P to get a price?

As you can imagine, asking on D-90 for "how much something is worth" will typically result in very low numbers.
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
First, my opinion is that you should use the cage. These things are NOT cheap.

Second, have you tried contacting P&P to get a price?
Yes I'm waiting to hear back both what one like this would cost new and what one in the style I'm after would cost.

I know I should use it, it's well made and I have it. I'm sure I'll loose on value if I do sell it but I just don't know if I'll ever be totally happy with it aesthetically. Just not a big exocage fan .

I'm also toying with the idea of a pop up roof so this would be out... and would probably need something custom built.
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:20 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
why didnt you tell me you had this when i bought your doors?!
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
why didnt you tell me you had this when i bought your doors?!

Well I'm still toying with what to do.... Plus not sure the RURR driver from Canada would have agreed!

Old June 4th, 2015, 12:26 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
just messing with you..
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:34 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What will you do about all those holes in the body? Once you go exo-cage, it's hard to go back...

Old June 4th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
What will you do about all those holes in the body? Once you go exo-cage, it's hard to go back...
Internal holes are easier. A cage is on my to do list but Brewie and Clay's tire carrier comes first

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

The cage is going on my new 110. It has no holes yet! So nows the time to decide. All those fresh new body panels I cringe to drill them.....

Old June 4th, 2015, 02:24 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

If you change your mind about using it, we should talk...

Edit: I'm still undecided on what I want to do for mine, either an external A bar hoop with internal B and C, or full external. External is good for 4 wheeling in our area, but I wanted to be able to run a double cab roof, which would look a little strange with an external cage.

If I go full external, I would need to stretch the rear section due to the longer body, and this cage being "used" would be a good candidate for being modified a bit.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old June 4th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Oh I'm pretty sure it's not going on I'll let you know......

Old June 4th, 2015, 02:45 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

What about a Tithonus (would need shortened 3") cage?
Or a NAS90 A hoop with internal B from a wagon? You could add the internal rear section for the 110.

Old June 4th, 2015, 02:50 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

This is what it would look like:

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 02:54 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Or a NAS90 A hoop with internal B from a wagon? You could add the internal rear section for the 110.
NAS A hoop with custom B and C pillar hoops was my original plan...

Ideally I would like to be able to pull the double cab roof during the summer and run with no top. The NAS A hoop would be fairly easy to remove and reinstall. I don't want a full internal cage, would like some protection from branches around the windscreen...

Hijack over...
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old June 4th, 2015, 02:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
For some reason, the styling of the P&P cage make the Rover look like it's wearing a bicycle helmet.

Old June 4th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
If you change your mind about using it, we should talk...

Edit: I'm still undecided on what I want to do for mine, either an external A bar hoop with internal B and C, or full external. External is good for 4 wheeling in our area, but I wanted to be able to run a double cab roof, which would look a little strange with an external cage.

If I go full external, I would need to stretch the rear section due to the longer body, and this cage being "used" would be a good candidate for being modified a bit.

Yea I like that Idea of the external NAS A bar and the internal B and C. To be honest I would be tempted to take a crack at it myself if I could find someone in town with a more sophisticated bender than the Hossfeld I have access to.

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 03:07 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
I'm undecided about the full length internal cage. I'm most concerned about protecting the 1st and second row passengers. I mean how much more can the rear section do for occupants? I suppose the diagonal bracing helps prevent racking.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
cage