P&P Exocage Value - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:08 PM
oilburner's Avatar
oilburner
Status: Offline
JL
large pile of parts
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: No guns, no crime, no one
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
For some reason, the styling of the P&P cage make the Rover look like it's wearing a bicycle helmet.
I agree. There is something about the A hoop transition that just catches your eye.

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 03:12 PM ------

This is interesting:

__________________
JL
1994 Defender 110 300TDI 3 door
Series/Defender 6BT/NV4500 crew cab project (slowly merging with the above)
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Wilboro's Avatar
Wilboro
Status: Offline
William Ficner
1997 110 csw
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 688
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
I agree. There is something about the A hoop transition that just catches your eye.

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 03:12 PM ------

This is interesting:


Interesting indeed!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:23 PM
JimC's Avatar
JimC
Status: Offline
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 7,154
Registry
With respect to a NAS style front cage tied to an internal one, I've wondered if it would be possible to take the NAS style front part (still available from SD) and tie it into a b-pillar (110 style) internal hoop using the brackets as fitted to a NAS 90 station wagon. I know that's a pretty terrible description, but the normal NAS 110 B-pillar cage attaches through the top of the roof and SD offers "over the top" front sections, but these look weird to me. I think the only mod necessary would be cutting of the brackets on top of the B-pillar portion and installing ones that connected to the roof panel at the sides. Again, I know the description sucks but I think all the parts exist to do this.
__________________
Jim Cheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:43 PM
RockShow's Avatar
RockShow
Status: Offline
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
With respect to a NAS style front cage tied to an internal one, I've wondered if it would be possible to take the NAS style front part (still available from SD) and tie it into a b-pillar (110 style) internal hoop using the brackets as fitted to a NAS 90 station wagon. I know that's a pretty terrible description, but the normal NAS 110 B-pillar cage attaches through the top of the roof and SD offers "over the top" front sections, but these look weird to me. I think the only mod necessary would be cutting of the brackets on top of the B-pillar portion and installing ones that connected to the roof panel at the sides. Again, I know the description sucks but I think all the parts exist to do this.
I am doing essentially the same thing you are describing on my 90 so that I can remove the hard top more easily. I have a Brewie made internal rear cage that I am tying to the a hoop with one set of bars for the soft top and another set with the bracket to bolt to the roof when the hard top is on. I have more or less finished the side bars to be used with the soft top but need to order another tube clamp to make the hard top set.

The only draw back is that with no top the side bars stick out like horns because the rear cage is made to fit under the aluminum hard top.

I got one of those Exmore mesh tops that attach with bungies so I had more flexibility in fitting the soft top.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:51 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
This is what it would look like:



------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 02:54 PM ------
Not quite, but close. That one has 4 cross-bars, while the one Willboro has only has 3.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Wilboro's Avatar
Wilboro
Status: Offline
William Ficner
1997 110 csw
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 688
Registry
P&P Exocage Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
With respect to a NAS style front cage tied to an internal one, I've wondered if it would be possible to take the NAS style front part (still available from SD) and tie it into a b-pillar (110 style) internal hoop using the brackets as fitted to a NAS 90 station wagon. I know that's a pretty terrible description, but the normal NAS 110 B-pillar cage attaches through the top of the roof and SD offers "over the top" front sections, but these look weird to me. I think the only mod necessary would be cutting of the brackets on top of the B-pillar portion and installing ones that connected to the roof panel at the sides. Again, I know the description sucks but I think all the parts exist to do this.

Something like this would be ideal and worth pursuing. Looks like there might be some demand!

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 04:14 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Not quite, but close. That one has 4 cross-bars, while the one Willboro has only has 3.

It almost looks like that front cross bar goes over the cage in this pic. Kind of like there is something else up there.

Mine certainly doesn't have that.

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 04:16 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockShow View Post
I am doing essentially the same thing you are describing on my 90 so that I can remove the hard top more easily. I have a Brewie made internal rear cage that I am tying to the a hoop with one set of bars for the soft top and another set with the bracket to bolt to the roof when the hard top is on. I have more or less finished the side bars to be used with the soft top but need to order another tube clamp to make the hard top set.

The only draw back is that with no top the side bars stick out like horns because the rear cage is made to fit under the aluminum hard top.

I got one of those Exmore mesh tops that attach with bungies so I had more flexibility in fitting the soft top.

Pics?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:24 PM
oilburner's Avatar
oilburner
Status: Offline
JL
large pile of parts
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: No guns, no crime, no one
Posts: 504
I wonder what the NAS 90 SW style A hoop would cost, shipped, from safety devices. I think we could get two. The rest would be pretty easy to build. Ideally I would want an external A hoop that ties into the internal B hoop through the roof, then the rest of the cage internal. That would be much more useful to me than an external cage.

All I would need is this:

http://www.safetydevices.com/expedit...agon/270/1774/

The rest would be custom.
__________________
JL
1994 Defender 110 300TDI 3 door
Series/Defender 6BT/NV4500 crew cab project (slowly merging with the above)
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Wilboro's Avatar
Wilboro
Status: Offline
William Ficner
1997 110 csw
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 688
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
I wonder what the NAS 90 SW style A hoop would cost, shipped, from safety devices. I think we could get two. The rest would be pretty easy to build. Ideally I would want an external A hoop that ties into the internal B hoop through the roof, then the rest of the cage internal. That would be much more useful to me than an external cage.

All I would need is this:

http://www.safetydevices.com/expedit...agon/270/1774/

The rest would be custom.

We should look into it!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:58 AM
RockShow's Avatar
RockShow
Status: Offline
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Something like this would be ideal and worth pursuing. Looks like there might be some demand! ------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 04:14 PM ------ It almost looks like that front cross bar goes over the cage in this pic. Kind of like there is something else up there. Mine certainly doesn't have that. ------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 04:16 PM ------ Pics?
I guess I only took a pic from the good side! Looking from the front or the side it doesn't stick out so bad. This is the bar that would be used for the soft top. The hard top bar will look the same but have one of the square "thru the roof" brackets welded on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2658807024.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	510.0 KB
ID:	122342

I will add some more pics when I get home.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Wilboro's Avatar
Wilboro
Status: Offline
William Ficner
1997 110 csw
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 688
Registry
Just got some pictures from P&P. They make this sort of cage already. Aesthetically looks pretty nice. You can get either the full length inside or have it terminate at the c hoop.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433506756.125561.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	122343Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433506772.391005.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	122344Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433506782.857513.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	122345Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433506794.790288.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	122346Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433506816.524214.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	122347Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433506838.740856.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	122348
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old June 5th, 2015, 03:18 PM
BlackField's Avatar
BlackField
Status: Offline
Oscar
D110
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Interesting indeed!
That's what I wanted when I originally bought my SD cage. That's an awesome set up.
__________________
Lemmings as you know them are a Disney fabricated lie. The truth is out there.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:43 PM
RockShow's Avatar
RockShow
Status: Offline
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Something like this would be ideal and worth pursuing. Looks like there might be some demand! ------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 04:14 PM ------ It almost looks like that front cross bar goes over the cage in this pic. Kind of like there is something else up there. Mine certainly doesn't have that. ------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2015 04:16 PM ------ Pics?
Here are a couple of pics of the bars for the soft top. I haven't gotten the hard top bars made yet but they will be the same but with a plate to bolt to the hard top.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3421821894.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	122816
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:43 PM
RockShow's Avatar
RockShow
Status: Offline
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilboro View Post
something like this would be ideal and worth pursuing. Looks like there might be some demand! ------ follow up post added june 4th, 2015 04:14 pm ------ it almost looks like that front cross bar goes over the cage in this pic. Kind of like there is something else up there. Mine certainly doesn't have that. ------ follow up post added june 4th, 2015 04:16 pm ------ pics?


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1237074214.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	122818
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:43 PM
RockShow's Avatar
RockShow
Status: Offline
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilboro View Post
something like this would be ideal and worth pursuing. Looks like there might be some demand! ------ follow up post added june 4th, 2015 04:14 pm ------ it almost looks like that front cross bar goes over the cage in this pic. Kind of like there is something else up there. Mine certainly doesn't have that. ------ follow up post added june 4th, 2015 04:16 pm ------ pics?
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-685467832.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	122819
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:44 PM
RockShow's Avatar
RockShow
Status: Offline
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilboro View Post
something like this would be ideal and worth pursuing. Looks like there might be some demand! ------ follow up post added june 4th, 2015 04:14 pm ------ it almost looks like that front cross bar goes over the cage in this pic. Kind of like there is something else up there. Mine certainly doesn't have that. ------ follow up post added june 4th, 2015 04:16 pm ------ pics?
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2547852207.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	122820
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Wilboro's Avatar
Wilboro
Status: Offline
William Ficner
1997 110 csw
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 688
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockShow View Post
Here are a couple of pics of the bars for the soft top. I haven't gotten the hard top bars made yet but they will be the same but with a plate to bolt to the hard top.


Attachment 122816

Pretty neat. This will be interesting to check out when it's all done!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old June 12th, 2015, 09:32 PM
RockShow's Avatar
RockShow
Status: Offline
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 468
With the hard top on it should look just like an NAS. And if all goes as planned I should just be able to remove the screws from the plate on the hard top, undo the tubing clamp and pull the bar out so the hard top is free to lift off.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
cage

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
130 expedition exocage build Brewie212 Smaller Projects 70 June 8th, 2015 05:06 PM
Performance & Protection Exocage (B Hoop) Wilboro Defender Technical Discussions 4 February 27th, 2014 09:43 AM
Who has that 110 with an Exocage Korongo Misc. Chit-Chat 15 February 8th, 2014 09:04 PM
Mounting Hannibal rack to NAS110 Exocage Overlander Defender Technical Discussions 2 September 8th, 2011 11:31 PM
what exocage/ roofrack is this? d90dang Defender Technical Discussions 3 February 22nd, 2011 09:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Copyright