OzTent RV series tents Who's got them? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 24th, 2015, 05:11 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

OzTent RV series tents Who's got them?

We ran the Mojave road a few weeks ago and as we staked out and set up our trusty TNF Trailhead 6 tent we take on family trips my wife looked on with envy as a few others in the group who had OzTents were up, staked out and done in a couple of minutes. She then proceeded to tell me that we needed to get one. I gave her a run down of the actual cost of one, expecting her to recoil at the price.. She didn't even bat an eyelash, said it would be worth every penny to not have to arse around with poles and the rain fly on our current tent.

Anyhow, since I have her on board for an OzTent how do you that have them and have used them for a while like them? Any complaints or niggles with them?

When we're out as a family camping we usually have both kids (10 & 15) and at least one (big) dog, if not both. That puts us in the big daddy of the range, the RV5.. Transport is no biggie. I'll just toss it on the roof rack with everything else..

Just figured I'd check in here and see what everyone that has them has to say about them.

Also, anyone know of a good deal on them? Been looking around and everywhere I've seen has the RV5 listed for $1099. Anyone seen better pricing than that? Thanks in advance..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2015, 05:20 PM
javelinadave
-
-

They come up for sale on the Expo Forum from time to time.

Expedition Portal Forum
Old April 24th, 2015, 05:56 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux
1985 Defender 110 CSW RHD

I've been looking for a deal on the RV-5, too. I'll start checking EPs site. Too bad we couldn't organize a group buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2015, 06:06 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJ142 View Post
I've been looking for a deal on the RV-5, too. I'll start checking EPs site. Too bad we couldn't organize a group buy.
Funny you mention that, I just bought an RV4 in a group buy through a FB group called Mid-Atlantic Overland Society. We were able to get a fairly sizeable discount with only a few orders. Granted, two of the orders were for RV4s, so we didn't really need that much more to get the price break. A friend swears by their cots as well and the RV4 & 5 will easily fit cots. Plus you can add custom panels and extend your living space.

Coming from the backpack lightweight tent world, and the old heavy canvas family tents from my youth, the 30-second setup is really sweet! Break-down and packing is just as fast. In the pack, it's about ~45 lbs, so it's not too bad in terms of loading onto the roofrack. Gotta love the Oz products!

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Family Tent Camping, has demos for sale from time to time. They do shows all over the country and then offer them at the locale at the end of the event.I bought mine at Expo East., if not sold they post them on their website.
I have rv2. Loaned it to a couple at URE, and they bought it from me! I need the rv3!
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:17 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Funny this should pop up. I just ordered a RV4 with the screen room from Lucky8. I have had a RTT for the past 6 years and love it, but once its up your truck is stationary...more or less. I have used a RV4 a couple of times and feel it will have its nitch on some adventures. I ordered 2 cots also.
As for pricing....Justin was more than fair as usual. I recommend you call him for a quote.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:26 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
They come up for sale on the Expo Forum from time to time.

Expedition Portal Forum
Yeah, I'm on Expo quite a bit and have been searching. There was an RV4 that came up a bit ago that was a really good deal since it came with the ground sheet, two side panels and rain fly for $800 but it was on the east coast and someone local snatched up the next day. Plus that was pre wifey deciding we needed one.

I was planning on going to Overland Expo West and hoped to find a deal there but I have to attend a Boy Scout training weekend course. Its the last time they offer the training before the fall and it just so happens to be on the same weekend as Overland Expo..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
all my friends have one, and I plan to get an RV4 soon. I personally wouldn't consider any other ground tent.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:56 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I like mine I have the rv-4 does set up easy - can stand to dress in etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5625.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	119147  

BUY SOME HATS --->

Old April 24th, 2015, 07:02 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Hey Jake let me know if you make some calls. As I run with the same people and envy the oz tents set up (especially with a 3 yo running around) I've been looking to get the RV5. Maybe a group buy in the near future.
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
What was the group buy discount they got?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:24 PM
COJ142
Michael Giroux
1985 Defender 110 CSW RHD

Jake and Ed- I'm in for an RV-5 too.
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:43 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
Hey Jake let me know if you make some calls. As I run with the same people and envy the oz tents set up (especially with a 3 yo running around) I've been looking to get the RV5. Maybe a group buy in the near future.
Chris - will do. My little ones aren't so little anymore, but my wife's main gripe about going out camping and not staying at the same place every night is how long it takes to setup and tear down everything. She explicitly told me that getting a tent that sets up and breaks down quick will definitely get her to go on more trips. She likes boondocking more than camping at established campgrounds and doesn't care if there are toilets or showers but setup and take down of the tent and campsite drives her nuts..

Anyhow - Family Tent Camping has a widget on their site that says "Group Discounts Available" and takes you to an email form. I shot them off an email to see what their terms and conditions for a group by will be. As soon as I hear something I'll be sure to pass on any info.

Old April 24th, 2015, 07:58 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Yeah that's my beef too. Takes too long to set up and tear down, like 15-20 min for the tent w fly alone while chasing Rox. 7-10 min alone. Cutting it down to even a solid 3-5 min and having an awning would be great. I have the larger oz tent cots and they just fit front to back which has caused my hesitation in getting the RV5 but with 2 week long expeditions planned this summer I think it's time
Old April 24th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've had an RV-4 since 2011 after I transitioned from the RTT. A little big and heavy, but we love it. No complaints.

Semper Fi!
Old April 27th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Erik@Lucky8
Erik
1985 D110 Ex-MOD & a few others
D-90 Source Vendor

We have spoken with the people at OzTent and we were able to secure a group buy for you guys. If you've been to an event where Lucky 8 is, then you know how much we covet our beloved OzTents. Once you go Oz, well, you know how that goes.

We are going to be able to take $100 off the list price of any Full Size OzTent. Those are the RV1, RV2, RV3, RV4, and RV5 models. Please EMAIL me if you are interested. We will also be able to sell the accessories such as side poles, awnings and screen rooms at a discount as well so email me your inquires.

http://lucky8llc.com/Search.aspx?Manu=Oz%20Tent%20

Thanks,
Erik

erik@lk8parts.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oz.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	119300  
1991 RRC Hunter - 2" OME
1985 D110 EX-MOD
Gone:
2006 LR3
2004 D2
2001 D2
2001 D2 - Lucky8 Project D2 - REDUX
2000 D2 - Trail Project, maybe
1999 P38
1995 RRC LWB

Old April 27th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
GREAT timing Erik - email sent
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Right you are , Jonesey! I love my rv2 and am upgrading to rv4...

email, sent!
Old April 27th, 2015, 12:59 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Mine is on the way to Via!
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old April 27th, 2015, 02:27 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Lucky8 View Post
We have spoken with the people at OzTent and we were able to secure a group buy for you guys. If you've been to an event where Lucky 8 is, then you know how much we covet our beloved OzTents. Once you go Oz, well, you know how that goes.

We are going to be able to take $100 off the list price of any Full Size OzTent. Those are the RV1, RV2, RV3, RV4, and RV5 models. Please EMAIL me if you are interested. We will also be able to sell the accessories such as side poles, awnings and screen rooms at a discount as well so email me your inquires.

Lucky8llc.com - Oz Tent Products for Land Rovers

Thanks,
Erik

erik@lk8parts.com
Ok Eric, we want to know if you had a Oz tent at Scarr? if you did how wet did you get?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
series