Oztent and zero propane camping - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Oztent and zero propane camping

I like to comfortable when camping. Over the years, I've acquired so much stuff, and got used to using it all. It used to not be a problem because when I usally go camping, I towed a trail truck with either a pickup or Excursion, so I had plenty of room for all the creature comforts. Now that I'm trying to take it all in a 90, I run out of room real quick, even with a roof rack. So I revamped my whole setup.

First of all, I hate propane. It's expensive and bulky. So the first thing I did was hit Ebay. I already had one Whisperlite, so I bought two more, and bought three stands. I attached two of the stands together with a small hinge. So now I can cook with a griddle over the two Whisperlites, and the whole setup takes up only a quarter of the space a Coleman stove took up.

Next I took my Zodi Hot Water Shower and ditched the propane burner. I had already replaced the cheap battery operated with a small "on demand" RV pump. I took an aluminum grease pot from walmart, turned it upside down and cut three "L" shaped notches in it to hook onto the third Whisperlite. Drilled holes in the top and coiled copper line inside. Now I have a hot water shower kit that takes up half the size of the Zodi and runs on white gas!

Can't stand to be cold, I've always used a Catalytic propane heater in the tent. I was about to give in and keep that piece of equipment when I found a Sears (made by Coleman) catalytic tent heater from the 70's that ran on White gas! It had never been used! Haven't used it in a tent yet, but I ran it in a bathroom with the door shut and it worked fine, no smell at all!

Next, I needed to organize the inside of the 90. No one ever rode in the back, so I removed the one seat I had. I always keep a trunk in the back for recovery gear and a bugout bag, and usually stack similar trunks in when I go camping. Since I wanted to keep most of my camping gear permanently in the truck, I searched for better storage solutions. I stumbled across these boxes when I was in Office Depot, they fit on the wheel wells perfectly! Two in front of the Engel, and two in front of the toolbox. All the cooking equipment and shower, along with towels fit in those boxes. Then I got two clothes hanging rods and put then across the top of the back between the alpine windows. There I store two chairs, air mattress (rolled up inside a chair bag), and a pop up shower stall. A small folding table sits between the rear A/C and trunk.

So now I have everything in the truck at all times except sleeping bags, clothes, and tent. I could have gone with a small tent and put it up against the roof with the chairs, but I like a big tent. So I bit the bullet and ordered an RV-5. (merry Christmas to me!) It should be the only thing that has to reside on the roof rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSR.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	62060   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	62064  

Name:	containers.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	62068   Click image for larger version

Name:	storage left.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	62069  

Name:	storage right.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	62070   Click image for larger version

Name:	oztent.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	62080  

Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I like those containers, how do they compare to an action packer?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
They are harder plastic compared to an action packer, so I imagine they would be easier to crack if you treated them roughly. The lids are slightly recessed so the ones on top fit nicely, I used industrial Velcro on the lids and bottom of the boxes, so they usually stay put.
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Very nice. How do you have your Office Depot boxes secured back there? And how are you securing the stuff to the clothes hanging rods?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
I have a box surrounding the rear A/C that holds speakers, and it's taller than the wheel wells, so the bottom boxes are a snug fit between it and the sides. The tops boxes "nestle" in the lower lids and industrial Velcro holds them well. I'm sure they would probably shift during hard off roading, I would then probably take them out or rig some type of straps around them.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
I dunno man, anything burning propane or whitegas in an enclosed tent sounds dangerous to me. Keep it well vented. Carbon Monoxide has no smell.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
the stuff on the rods are a press fit between the rods and the roof.

------ Follow up post added December 3rd, 2012 11:26 AM ------

I've used a Coleman Sport Cat inside tents for years....but I'm going to be cautious with this gas burner and take a CO alarm with me....

Maybe that's the reason I'm dain bramaged......
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
What kind of fuel are you using for the Whisperlite? Kerosene or White Gas? My local Dick's Sporting goods sells the Coleman Camping Fuel (aka White Gas) for $13.99/gallon.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of fuel I want to use so I can figure out a stove. Was thinking about a dual burning white gas/gasoline stove to give me options.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat