Ownership Liabilities - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:35 PM
go blue
AJ
none

Ownership Liabilities

Privately imported Land Rover owners need to accept the fact that the recent government action has cast a meaningful cloud over the titles of the entire stock of these vehicles. Iíve been closely following the issue for some time and I know that many will jump up and down and insist that their truck is legitimate. The fact is that Uncle Sam is cracking down on these vehicles, and what better way to do that then to destroy their value.

Itís time to recognize the liabilities of owning one of these vehicles (beyond the obvious risk of having the vehicle seized).

Safety - The biggest risk to owning one of these vehicles is a serious accident involving a fatality. These kind of accidents always involve high-level investigations, and if it is determined that the vehicle may not have been properly imported, may god have mercy on anyone in the chain of title. Additionally, you could expect your insurance company to deny coverage. A situation like this will make a vehicle seizure look like childís play.

Transferring Title - At some point people may want to (or need to) sell their vehicle, and there will be an obligation to make some sort of disclosure of the risk of seizure to a potential buyer. Again, recognizing that in the post 2012 Defender world, every one of these vehicles can be called into question. Owners need to understand the fact that there isnít a statue of limitations with respect to fraud. In plain english, these trucks will always be fair game for seizure. The real conundrum here is that any semi-intelligent buyer will want to run the truck buy the proper authorities before buying it, for sellers this may lead authorities right to your doorstep - not a very comforting idea.

I feel terrible for the folks that had their trucks seized, yet I feel even worse that they may spend a lot of time, money, and emotional energy unsuccessfully trying to get their vehicles back, instead of cutting their losses and walking away. As the news of these events is disseminated, the value of all of these trucks will plummet and they will become very illiquid.

Taking on the federal government is a big boyís game. The only thing worse then having your vehicle seized may be selling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well said, owning one of these is so risky. Think of the consequences.

With that in mind, I will pay $1000 cash for any Puma truck. Drive it here and walk away smiling with no further liability and a fat knot of bills in your pocket. I will even give you a rubber band, this way you can easily keep track of all the money even if you take your hand off of it!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
javelinadave
-
-

What is with all the newbie trolls running wild here?
Should people disclose the danger when selling a motorcycle. scooter, bicycle, skateboard, or a 25 year old vehicle? Is a 1980's Jeep CJ or a Suzuki Samurai any safer? Your post is ridiculous at best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Thanks for the education Captain 1-post.
What? are you a buyer looking for a fire-sale?
That ain't gonna happen kid!

If I were down to my last dollar and I needed to sell my Defender so I could eat, I'd rather light it on fire and watch it burn as opposed to sell it to a clown like you. In fact, I don't think I'd ever sell my D, so who cares what its worth anyway.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
What is with all the newbie trolls running wild here?
Should people disclose the danger when selling a motorcycle. scooter, bicycle, skateboard, etc....? Ridiculous!
Shoot... If we are talking about safety... Slips, trips, and falls constitute the majority of general industry accidents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:05 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by go blue View Post
<snip> Iíve been closely following the issue for some time and I know that many will jump up and down and insist that their truck is legitimate. The fact is that Uncle Sam is cracking down on these vehicles, and what better way to do that then to destroy their value.<snip>

Taking on the federal government is a big boyís game. The only thing worse then having your vehicle seized may be selling it.
Considering the content and tone of this posting along with this being a first posting I can't help but wonder if my tax money is paying your salary and why you are not down on the Southern border doing something to actually help the US.

Of course I'll also accept questionable Defenders for $1000. But instead of registering them it would be to scrap them for parts. I don't think it is against the law to sell a wing panel from a vehicle that was illegally imported. Recycling seems more green than just crushing a vehicle and the result is the same. The vehicle is no longer on the road in the US. I could go into the used Defender parts business.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 ůriginalť

Registry
Quote:
Privately imported Land Rover owners need to accept the fact that the recent government action has cast a meaningful cloud over the titles of the entire stock of these vehicles. Iíve been closely following the issue for some time and I know that many will jump up and down and insist that their truck is legitimate. The fact is that Uncle Sam is cracking down on these vehicles, and what better way to do that then to destroy their value.
By reducing the number available thus increasing their value? Pay the dollar, take the ride, the vast majority of trucks brought in ARE legitimate, not the other way around. And Uncle Sam is just correcting a past transgression with these seizures, apparently some grey market vehicles slipped past CBP in the past. This 'crackdown' targets a particular importer and port of entry where this oversight took place

Quote:
Itís time to recognize the liabilities of owning one of these vehicles (beyond the obvious risk of having the vehicle seized).
Like riding around with a smile on your face?

Quote:
Safety - The biggest risk to owning one of these vehicles is a serious accident involving a fatality. These kind of accidents always involve high-level investigations, and if it is determined that the vehicle may not have been properly imported, may god have mercy on anyone in the chain of title. Additionally, you could expect your insurance company to deny coverage. A situation like this will make a vehicle seizure look like childís play.
Coming from your personal experience driving a Model A ford? The biggest risk to breathing is not breathing, and there are many modes of transportation that are unsafe (just think every motorcycle, ever, where accident related fatalities must top almost all other forms of transportation). Also you can't prosecute previous owners of vehicles that have transferred ownership legally and without withholding information. It's not like all 4 brake lines were cut before the new owner drove it home.

Insurance companies are a numbers game, vehicles like this that are driven less than 15K miles per year fall into a different catagory. Go talk to your actuary friends and they will allude to you the fact that insurance companies aren't risk averse, in fact they don't care about one vehicle over another, they calculate premiums based on available data. And I am sure that classic car owners fall into some of the safest driving groups compiled.

Quote:
Transferring Title - At some point people may want to (or need to) sell their vehicle, and there will be an obligation to make some sort of disclosure of the risk of seizure to a potential buyer. Again, recognizing that in the post 2012 Defender world, every one of these vehicles can be called into question. Owners need to understand the fact that there isnít a statue of limitations with respect to fraud. In plain english, these trucks will always be fair game for seizure. The real conundrum here is that any semi-intelligent buyer will want to run the truck buy the proper authorities before buying it, for sellers this may lead authorities right to your doorstep - not a very comforting idea.
As the law is written today, there is no evidence that vehicles updated stateside after their legal entry are subject to search and seizure. the recent crackdown was imposed due to an ongoing investigation that saw widespread abuse form a particular importer. CBP or anyone else isn't going to check out every change of ownership for the 1000s of ROW defenders stateside. It's sort of an absurd sentiment.

Quote:
I feel terrible for the folks that had their trucks seized, yet I feel even worse that they may spend a lot of time, money, and emotional energy unsuccessfully trying to get their vehicles back, instead of cutting their losses and walking away. As the news of these events is disseminated, the value of all of these trucks will plummet and they will become very illiquid.
Do you? Do you feel terrible? It seems in your mis-informed ramblings that you haven't seen the numerous posts by individuals on this board that are far more informed than yourself. I would presume that many people who have compliant vehicles that were imported legally will reclaim their property, not at an astronomical expense but any expense for many American's can be debilitating.

Concerning value for ROW trucks; supply and demand favors the forbidden fruit, hence the numerous companies offering ROW defenders stateside.

Quote:
Again, these trucks are still being imported every day, the law hasn't changed, myself and many others that have gone through the process of importation can attest to the painstaking hours that go into ensuring you follow the import law TO THE LETTER. The individual responsible for these seizures cut corners and found that he was allowed to get away with it for some time

Please don't say you're from New England because you're embarrassing me...
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Thank God we have these people coming on here and informing us with their all-knowing wisdom! Where would we be!?!?!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:

Don't you have a truck to seize?
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:16 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Thank God we have these people coming on here and informing us with their all-knowing wisdom! Where would we be!?!?!
Hopefully go blue will post up his pic in his CBP uniform.
Best troll pic as of today is still this guy:
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:17 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Who's this guy... I missed the boat

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:17 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Please don't say you're from New England because you're embarrassing me...
haha - must be from CT. Certainly not from NH.

go blue - so what about other vehicles coming into the US? Are Land Rover 90/110's the black sheep? This was just posted on BaT today: http://bringatrailer.com/2014/07/22/...t-205-gti-1-6/ Will the future owner have the same liability issues?
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
I still can't understand the uncanny resemblance between him and Rico Suave.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Well said, Special Agent (S/A) with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Christopher M. Feldman.

Quote:
Privately imported Land Rover owners need to accept the fact that the recent government action has cast a meaningful cloud over the titles of the entire stock of these vehicles. I’ve been closely following the issue for some time and I know that many will jump up and down and insist that their truck is legitimate. The fact is that Uncle Sam is cracking down on these vehicles, and what better way to do that then to destroy their value.

It’s time to recognize the liabilities of owning one of these vehicles (beyond the obvious risk of having the vehicle seized).

Safety - The biggest risk to owning one of these vehicles is a serious accident involving a fatality. These kind of accidents always involve high-level investigations, and if it is determined that the vehicle may not have been properly imported, may god have mercy on anyone in the chain of title. Additionally, you could expect your insurance company to deny coverage. A situation like this will make a vehicle seizure look like child’s play.

Transferring Title - At some point people may want to (or need to) sell their vehicle, and there will be an obligation to make some sort of disclosure of the risk of seizure to a potential buyer. Again, recognizing that in the post 2012 Defender world, every one of these vehicles can be called into question. Owners need to understand the fact that there isn’t a statue of limitations with respect to fraud. In plain english, these trucks will always be fair game for seizure. The real conundrum here is that any semi-intelligent buyer will want to run the truck buy the proper authorities before buying it, for sellers this may lead authorities right to your doorstep - not a very comforting idea.

Taking on the federal government is a big boy’s game. The only thing worse then having your vehicle seized may be selling it.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Who's this guy... I missed the boat
Search "landie" in the Homeland Security took my 110 thread and enjoy the reading.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:27 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I can't speak for anyone else, but I rather appreciate the "outlaw" status that everyone will now associate with ROW Defender ownership. It's sorta like being a Hells Angel but without having to go to club meetings and get in fights all the time.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:28 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Search "landie" in the Homeland Security took my 110 thread and enjoy the reading.
I probably missed it. I'll go back in that cluster fuck of thread and "educamate" myself

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:49 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
I could go into the used Defender parts business.
I just want one to wheel
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Piss off douche
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:09 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Thanks ...I was doing the hold tongue *editeditedit* with Mr. Sunshine