Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 24th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Interesting. Can someone explain this fund business in a little more detail?
These are popping up everywhere, not just for collectable cars, but first I think in the fine art community.
Depending on how they are structured and organized it would operate like a hedge fund or private equity group. Not so much like a REIT because I don't imagine they would be all about that level of oversight or reporting.

Pool people's equity, leverage it, buy expensive/top-tier assets (in this case vehicles they speculate will appreciate) divest, trade or lease to museums and distribute profits according to the Operating Agreement.

Not a bad idea conceptually, but to me (and others who are far more knowledgeable and successful in the vintage car world) this spells the beginning of the end of the vintage car bubble. Sort of like when your barber or landscaper is all excited because he's flipping houses (it's a clear sign). There are a myriad of reasons why, but many are anecdotal and this is not a economics forum.

When , say a early 60s SWB Ferrari sold two years ago for $10M and is expected to sell for $15M and when an early Ferrari GTO could eclipse $45M at auction, I'd say maybe.....just maybe there's a bit of a bubble. Yes, I know the global appetite and the dynamics in play here but I still think the market is way out over its ski tips here. All the way from lower-echelon Tier 1 collectables such as early 911s all the way up to the rarest of the rare like cars with LeMans provenance and the like......

Keith may jump all over me for this statement and I'd love to hear his opinion, but it is my opinion that when speculators get into any asset class (especially when they are playing with other people's money) it is the sign of bad things to come.
So, back to the stupid-ass topic of this thread......the OP "GoBlue" ("AJ", lets call him) pontificated that the value floor for all ROW trucks is being eroded (or will be). I'm not going to argue with him because its pointless, but to me his comments don't sound like that of a DHS S/A, but that of a potential buyer of a ROW truck, or a potential seller of a NAS truck trying to manipulate the market with speculative comments.

I'll be the first to recognize the distinct difference between ROW and NAS values and the motivations that drives us to purchase one over the other, but sometimes it's not about investing it's about owning something that you're passionate about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 10:53 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I'll be the first to recognize the distinct difference between ROW and NAS values and the motivations that drives us to purchase one over the other, but sometimes it's not about investing it's about owning something that you're passionate about.
Exactly well said Sir. I don't care what mine is worth, I just want it to run stop and provide happiness.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
My first Defender was a limited edition nas 90. But I lusted after the cooler rest of world trucks and owned an early 1983 110 and stored it in Julian Kotting's walled boxwood garden in Hertfordshire until it was legal to bring over in January 2008. I have never felt the desire to own a nas spec truck since. I'm an enthusiast though and understand that many here will never off road their trucks and do view them as investments. Seems like a poor choice of a vehicle to choose as an investment.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 11:22 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Wait are you telling me my truck isn't an investment? OMG. Who would have thunk it.
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:29 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Wait are you telling me my truck isn't an investment? OMG. Who would have thunk it.
If you treat your 401K the way you treat your 90, I think you're in trouble .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 24th, 2014, 12:54 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Easy now fella - we have potential investors reading this thread and I don't want to ruin my chances of getting it into "AJ"s fund.

Dear prospective buyers (assume sale post mortem), insurance agents, LEO, CBP, and of course our friends at the NSA, please be aware that anything you find on the internet about my truck and it's care/treatment are greatly exaggerated. In fact none of it is true - I simply have been putting information out to deter any interest in thieves having any interest in my most prized investment.

In fact my truck was bought bone stock with low miles at great expense only 10 years old. It's now a very young 20 (for this model) and it has been babied ever since - always garaged (under a locked car cover for good measure), just driven weekly to the ice cream place a few miles away on perfectly maintained roads to keep the seals oiled. I don't think it's ever been off of the pavement! It is washed and waxed regularly and I don't let my children anywhere near it, let alone drive it. It is completely rust free and still bone stock! Only genuine parts purchased and installed by the dealership and serviced regularly by the dealer whether it needed it or not. I have all maintenance records and the original sticker. Insert any other blatant lies you can come up with here. LOL
Old July 24th, 2014, 01:13 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Nooooo no no. This is genuine NAS. Incumbent free! I have a title search done yearly to make sure no-one has stolen it just in case of course!
Old July 24th, 2014, 01:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Did I mention it was über rare? It's uber rare!
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:25 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
i can vouch that charles drives his defender only during low ozone days, never in direct sunlight, and cleans it after every ice cream run using pellegrino mixed with baby shampoo.
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:44 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Did I mention it was über rare? It's uber rare!
My comment...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg beer-goggles.jpeg (35.4 KB, 74 views)

Old July 24th, 2014, 04:00 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
My comment...

Is that the lady whose boobies come out to play at your local happy hour?
Old July 24th, 2014, 04:03 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post

Is that the lady whose boobies come out to play at your local happy hour?
That's how Charles sees his truck. He has Rover Goggles.

PS... this one is prettier. Bawhahaha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat