Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by go blue View Post
Privately imported Land Rover owners need to accept the fact that the recent government action has cast a meaningful cloud over the titles of the entire stock of these vehicles. I’ve been closely following the issue for some time and I know that many will jump up and down and insist that their truck is legitimate. The fact is that Uncle Sam is cracking down on these vehicles, and what better way to do that then to destroy their value.

It’s time to recognize the liabilities of owning one of these vehicles (beyond the obvious risk of having the vehicle seized).

Safety - The biggest risk to owning one of these vehicles is a serious accident involving a fatality. These kind of accidents always involve high-level investigations, and if it is determined that the vehicle may not have been properly imported, may god have mercy on anyone in the chain of title. Additionally, you could expect your insurance company to deny coverage. A situation like this will make a vehicle seizure look like child’s play.

Transferring Title - At some point people may want to (or need to) sell their vehicle, and there will be an obligation to make some sort of disclosure of the risk of seizure to a potential buyer. Again, recognizing that in the post 2012 Defender world, every one of these vehicles can be called into question. Owners need to understand the fact that there isn’t a statue of limitations with respect to fraud. In plain english, these trucks will always be fair game for seizure. The real conundrum here is that any semi-intelligent buyer will want to run the truck buy the proper authorities before buying it, for sellers this may lead authorities right to your doorstep - not a very comforting idea.

I feel terrible for the folks that had their trucks seized, yet I feel even worse that they may spend a lot of time, money, and emotional energy unsuccessfully trying to get their vehicles back, instead of cutting their losses and walking away. As the news of these events is disseminated, the value of all of these trucks will plummet and they will become very illiquid.

Taking on the federal government is a big boy’s game. The only thing worse then having your vehicle seized may be selling it.
You are either an uneducated fool or simply a liar.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:25 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
I just want one to wheel
Shhhh!

Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:31 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
haha - must be from CT. Certainly not from NH.

go blue - so what about other vehicles coming into the US? Are Land Rover 90/110's the black sheep? This was just posted on BaT today: http://bringatrailer.com/2014/07/22/...t-205-gti-1-6/ Will the future owner have the same liability issues?
I'm a masshole held up in RI... and I am agree he must be from CT (close to NYC, where the traffic on 95 starts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:58 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
You are either an uneducated fool or simply a liar.

Don't forget coward, for concealing his/her/its identity and interest in the issue.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:13 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

This is just getting pathetic...
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:23 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
[SNIP]what better way to do that then to destroy their value.
If anything, my turd is worth MORE now that it has NOT been seized...

The UK government stopped wanting it a few years ago, and luckily the US government doesn't want it either.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:35 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
I'm a masshole held up in RI... and I am agree he must be from CT (close to NYC, where the traffic on 95 starts)
Yup - that is the area I was thinking of. Other parts of CT are quite nice with great people - don't want to harsh on the whole state.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:36 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
seriously.... I know that this forum has a famously (and successful) laissez faire policy regarding 'mods' and administration. However, I think it is time we look seriously at vetting access and membership. Understanding it will take additional time to sift through requirements, I'll be the first to volunteer my time to help.

Also, it would be awesome to see more threads closed and users banned.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:40 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post

This one jumped the shark at post number one.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:56 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Whoa—"Thread closures" and "Banning". What's the deal with that???

Quote:
seriously.... I know that this forum has a famously (and successful) laissez faire policy regarding 'mods' and administration. However, I think it is time we look seriously at vetting access and membership. Understanding it will take additional time to sift through requirements, I'll be the first to volunteer my time to help.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
go blue
AJ
none

Many thanks for the warm welcome.

I guess if someone has a view that differs with the Defender Source insiders they should be censored, assumed to be an uneducated coward, and a liar who obviously works for the government? Yikes.

The events of last week will have a lasting impact on this market and folks should understand that there could be serious long lasting liabilities associated with the ownership of these vehicles.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:29 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Just cause there is a spike in idiots and dumbass's posting on the forum doesnt mean anything. Have a little patience and they will go to the wayside like all the others that pop up from time to time. It is still a successful policy. Just take a seat, drink a 6pack and enjoy the ride.

Quote:

Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:29 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Whenever I hear 'jumping the shark', this is what I think of. Never knew there was a Fonzie version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2159.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	99255  
Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Are you suggesting everyone sell their Defenders and we change this to Prius Source or something?

There are inherint risks in doing absolutely anything - ever. Do you have a defender? Please let's see a pic.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:51 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
seriously.... I know that this forum has a famously (and successful) laissez faire policy regarding 'mods' and administration. However, I think it is time we look seriously at vetting access and membership. Understanding it will take additional time to sift through requirements, I'll be the first to volunteer my time to help. Also, it would be awesome to see more threads closed and users banned.
That way lies madness and none of the mods have time run a police state. It's actually really better when it's actually a "forum" where people can wander in and out. I honestly don't even bother "ignoring" people because that's too much trouble, imagine how bad it is to keep up a banning and deleting regime. Let the forum terrorists hate us for our freedoms, we wont respond with surveillance and censorship.

Harassment is another thing, and so is punching Charles. That will get you banned.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:53 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:

I guess if someone has a view that differs with the Defender Source insiders they should be censored, assumed to be an uneducated coward, and a liar who obviously works for the government? Yikes.

The events of last week will have a lasting impact on this market and folks should understand that there could be serious long lasting liabilities associated with the ownership of these vehicles.
If you deny that you are a lying idiot coward, then please explain your presence here and the purpose of your post. Otherwise you got the welcome you deserved.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:25 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Whenever I hear 'jumping the shark', this is what I think of. Never knew there was a Fonzie version.
Ha! The Fonzie version is THE version.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Mr Expert I posted a 110 imported last week for sale @ 2pm.

I have a line of takers in 2 hours.
I'd call that a voracious appetite regardless of brand or model of vehicle, but hey you are the expert.

------ Follow up post added July 23rd, 2014 05:37 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
and so is punching Charles. That will get you banned.
Punching Charles would be like beating up a panda cub, how could anyone go there ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Serious question. I haven't posted to any of these threads as I really have nothing to offer but this is a legitimate question.

Say I'm in an impound yard and I happen to bang a girl in one of these seized trucks. Let's just say the truck has a puma backseat. Now she gets pregnant, do I have to worry about that baby being seized? Is it actually the importer on records problem?

I really need to know before I make plans tonight.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:10 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Serious question. I haven't posted to any of these threads as I really have nothing to offer but this is a legitimate question.

Say I'm in an impound yard and I happen to bang a girl in one of these seized trucks. Let's just say the truck has a puma backseat. Now she gets pregnant, do I have to worry about that baby being seized? Is it actually the importer on records problem?

I really need to know before I make plans tonight.
The legal answer to everything is: "it depends"
Is she an illegal immigrant?
Temporary status or amnesty?
Did you leave any other would be children on the back seat?

Wow , does this mean the original importer could be held liable for child support?
Crazy!

All of these are far more reasonable and debatable than the original post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat