Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Oversize load experience?

Anybody have any experience with oversize loads? My boat is stuck on a trailer at the TA truck stop in NH and cant get into Maine. The driver is saying Maine wont give him a permit because his DOT registration is expired. This guy got permits in every state from California to NH so why now cant he get in the state? Could use some experienced help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:49 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

Tell him to buck up and get the registration!

I don't know what to tell you other than it sounds like an "interesting" outfit that's hauling the old girl.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:48 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Seriously, sounds like they are a shit -show.

That stop is 15 minutes from my house (assuming the one of 95). Need me to swing up there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Consider splashing it in Portsmouth and have the Maine broker come run it up ? IE cut and run from this transporter now that you are close.

For what its worth I deal with a lot of auto transporters and they are a scurvy lot as well. Recent example: a truck was to have been picked up Wed late afternoon. I had a conversation with the dispatcher yesterday around 11am and he offered no excuse why I hadn't been contacted or why the truck wasn't picked up. He told me the truck would be picked up by late afternoon again "I can see the drivers rig via GPS tracking on my screen-he will be there by 5 ". Last night @ 11:15 pm I got a call from a driver who was 5 miles away and "coming to pick up the truck". It's gone but god only knows when it will reach Ct.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:42 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Anybody have any experience with oversize loads? My boat is stuck on a trailer at the TA truck stop in NH and cant get into Maine. The driver is saying Maine wont give him a permit because his DOT registration is expired. This guy got permits in every state from California to NH so why now cant he get in the state? Could use some experienced help.
Having had a DOT reg when we used to have our own ramp trucks for ECR, I can tell you that is something that you DO NOT let expire. You can't. It isn't like an option or something it is one of the first things you need in order to haul commercially.
It doesn't help now, but I agree the company sounds like a fly-by night outfit.
You need to start talking to them about $$ off the bill for all the delays. Hopefully in your contract you have a condition and delivery date specified.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:45 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Yeah trust me Its a mess. The guy has been in business 20+ years but he had to lease a tractor while his was being repaired. Turns out this tractors registration just expired and no one bothered to check and neither did he. Amazing he got from Florida to CA and up to NH and Maine is the first state to run a check on it. Thanks for the offer David Im going to drive down now. Im told he should be getting the permit within the hour. Saga continues!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
For what its worth I deal with a lot of auto transporters and they are a scurvy lot as well. Recent example: a truck was to have been picked up Wed late afternoon. I had a conversation with the dispatcher yesterday around 11am and he offered no excuse why I hadn't been contacted or why the truck wasn't picked up. He told me the truck would be picked up by late afternoon again "I can see the drivers rig via GPS tracking on my screen-he will be there by 5 ". Last night @ 11:15 pm I got a call from a driver who was 5 miles away and "coming to pick up the truck". It's gone but god only knows when it will reach Ct.
Agreed 110%
I do not know how most transporters stay in business.
It took me years to find some good, reliable guys. Most others truly suck on a level of suck rarely found.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
I agree...Its why i use Jeff Barnes exclusively to haul my rovers. Once you find a good one you hang on to them. This is the first and last time I haul a boat like this.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

Just an FYI next time ( if there is one ) Murphy Yacht Transport locally to me (Mount Desert) is **excellent** and they do nationwide all the time.

Good luck today,
Doug
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:28 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Take and post more pics when you get to the truck! And a pic of the trucker would be useful, too.

Why do I feel this is going to end up looking like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_defender_resize.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	33677  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Beetle View Post
Just an FYI next time ( if there is one ) Murphy Yacht Transport locally to me (Mount Desert) is **excellent** and they do nationwide all the time.

Good luck today,
Doug
Boat is in Maine! Got permitted and will be rolling in up here in the a.m. I spoke to Ron Murphy. Very nice guy and he was ready to go pick it up if they couldnt get in. There will never be a next time! At least for me. Next boat I have will be plastic and local.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
what a saga. hope the boat made the trip well.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Me too! I havent seen it yet. Sparkman and Stephens and I will be inspecting the boat in the am. It shall be a sleepless night.
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Man was I happy to see this roll in today! Showed up in fairly good shape. What a relief!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1061.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	33745  
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

At what cost? And nice change on the avatar, I like this much better.

As a side note I still trailer my small boat with my own truck, but I have had experiences with auto transporters that I have been quite impressed with. It seems like with anything in life if you can wait for it you can get it cheaper and better.
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:14 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

I'm glad your finally seeing her. I understand what everybody is saying about the bad apples of the transporters but for the most part these owner/operators have to run legal because if they get caught their USDOT # will be terminated and it will be pretty hard to get another unless you get another identity.
When truckers register thier rigs, they literally need to pick the states they are going to operate in. They call it Apportioned registration... part of the IFTA ( Interstste Fuel Tax Agreement ). This is done to access the fuel tax on each state depending how many miles ( verses gallons of diesel bought in that state ) that you drove in each state for the year. Yes they have to keep track of all this.

So, this does not have anything to do with permits for oversize loads.

To do this... you must apply for a USDOT #.
To obtain this DOT# you must have your finger prints and criminal record checked by Homeland security. Now you can register, can't do this in between trips.

Now, if your not leased to a carrier ( they give you work ) if you did all of the above, you can take it another step and apply for your own authority ( you will get a ICC # ) and now your really on your own and you have to get your work from the brokers.

I'm guessing this trucker.... If he is a boat hauler, would have to have Maine on his registration.

Maine + boats = $$$$$
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:24 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Turns out he was never allowed into Maine. He literally had to pay a heavy hauler from NH to get the permit and bring in the load. He leased the truck from a guy that didnt have it registered properly so he had to contract another tractor that was legal.

------ Follow up post added December 4th, 2010 05:25 PM ------

[QUOTE=Treuwer;253925]At what cost? And nice change on the avatar, I like this much better.

Thanks Trae I put the other one up as a joke but never got around to taking it down. I like seeing my old series more than Harry Perry also.
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Yeah! Just like any other business, you will find the BS sooner or later!
I miss the freedom and I had steady work... but with 1.5 million miles on the truck I owned it was quickly catching up and I wasn't about to spend $130,000. on another one.
Glad I made my move to UPS.
Its rough out there... I see them on the road all the time, you can tell just by looking at there rigs.

The diesel cops will catch up to them... they don't last long.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat