Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 28th, 2011, 05:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Overlanding in the USA

What routes would qualify as a worthwhile overland in the USA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
What routes would qualify as a worthwhile overland in the USA?
depends on he person, for example if you were to ask Pedro..his overland is from his house to Jay's once a year as he spends the remaining 364 days in the making of the Posseurmobile
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Wouldn't it be called Inlanding then?
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2011, 09:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I dunno man, I would think that the alcan 5000 (competitive or just drive and follow it) would be as cool as you could get.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:27 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I dunno man, I would think that the alcan 5000 (competitive or just drive and follow it) would be as cool as you could get.

Did the ALCAN multiple times... unless you take the norther route it is pretty tame . Before 94 (i think) a lot of it was gravel. They paved the whole thing for the 50th anniversary party. I have ridden or driven it about 7 times between the lower 48 and Alaska. Do it in the winter and it is a whole new ball game (did it once in a 2wd Dakota with chains.......).

The most interesting North American Ride I have read is the Route De Norte. Which was featured in the Overland Journal in the Summer 2008 issue. On the cover of that publication was a series truck from New York. The route takes you to James bay via the Trans-Taiga Road.

I actually looked at this route for a possible hunting trip (Caribou) but I need a lot of prep work for the truck before I take it on such a trip....
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:39 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Continental Divide trail, TransAmerica Trail (though I think the TAT is for motorcycles only) there is also the Trans-Labrador Highway in Canada too.
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:27 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

There are thousands of miles of unpaved, limited maintenance, no maintenance, get out the winch and shovels roads in the US. Obviously the less populated west is better for getting away from the crowds. I did a great 6 day trip through southeast Oregon a few years ago through the Steens mountains and Alvord desert, camping in a different remote spot each night, driving through amazing territory each day.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

I just looked up the ALCAN 5000. Looks pretty cool, thought at first you where talking about the ALCAN...
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:52 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I guess I should clarify what I mean by overlanding (short of Pedro's meticulously planned monthly pilgrimage to HH ). I guess in some ways I always imagined Overlanding to include participating in local culture and meeting new people.

Maybe Camel-Trophy style bushwhacking and winching is ok, but I can only imagine that would be fun for a short distance or to get rid of necessary obstacles...After a certain point, to me, the activity crosses the line from being a "journey" to an "off-road excursion".
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Ed,

I've done the TAT in a bike years ago, we quit at Yellowstone.

That route is indeed doable in a Defender ( wide trails, and when facing a narrow creek crossing, there are options within a mile ).

You will mingle with the locals ( as some parts do touch private property and will indeed be recommended to ask permission from the Land Owner )
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
I guess I should clarify what I mean by overlanding (short of Pedro's meticulously planned monthly pilgrimage to HH ). I guess in some ways I always imagined Overlanding to include participating in local culture and meeting new people.

Maybe Camel-Trophy style bushwhacking and winching is ok, but I can only imagine that would be fun for a short distance or to get rid of necessary obstacles...After a certain point, to me, the activity crosses the line from being a "journey" to an "off-road excursion".
There are some nice hoods in Wahington, Baltimore, and Harlem that you might want to drive through. Plenty of culture, not sure about the bush wacking and winching though.
Old April 29th, 2011, 11:22 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
depends on he person, for example if you were to ask Pedro..his overland is from his house to Jay's once a year as he spends the remaining 364 days in the making of the Posseurmobile
Quote:

Both of you can kiss it... I've been to 12 of the last 13 HH.

As for your question... Ask Charles. I remembered a conversation we had with Loic several years ago about the same subject.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Check this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=docking+pilot

This was bikes, but it is all truck-able.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 29th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Beatiful shots and very inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Check this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=docking+pilot

This was bikes, but it is all truck-able.
------ Follow up post added April 29th, 2011 11:30 AM ------

Tony,

I am actually planning to go out to Alvord desert and Owyhees end of the summer with a bunch of other rovers from the Pacific Coast Rover Club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
There are thousands of miles of unpaved, limited maintenance, no maintenance, get out the winch and shovels roads in the US. Obviously the less populated west is better for getting away from the crowds. I did a great 6 day trip through southeast Oregon a few years ago through the Steens mountains and Alvord desert, camping in a different remote spot each night, driving through amazing territory each day.
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:04 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Serious?

Ed -

Are you really thinking about doing something like these trips?

(Once you get your D-90 recovered from the sunken container deep in the mid-atlantic )
Sterling, VA
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
The TAT is on my todo list. I have bought the maps/routes for Tenn at least, maybe another. I figured give the first section a try and see how I like it. Not going to happen this year for sure.
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
As for your question... Ask Charles. I remembered a conversation we had with Loic several years ago about the same subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
The TAT is on my todo list. I have bought the maps/routes for Tenn at least, maybe another. I figured give the first section a try and see how I like it. Not going to happen this year for sure.
That's the one... http://www.transamtrail.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trans-am_map3.gif
Views:	171
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	38213  

Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:53 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
Ed -

Are you really thinking about doing something like these trips?

(Once you get your D-90 recovered from the sunken container deep in the mid-atlantic )
Yes, I would love to take off a week or two and do one of these trips, especially with a convoy of other Rover owners.

As far as the deep sea recovery goes, I would definitely trust the Defender to survive it better than any other car out there (crossing fingers)

The TAT looks cool! It's an 8.5 hour drive to the start. The TAT site says 600 miles to Mississippi, which means that one could do the Tennessee bit in a week there and back starting from NOVA. Two weeks could get one much further...
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yup I totally agree. It gets harder when you have a family and especially when the kids get older and have other interests and schedules conflict.

This is why I am building my trailer. I hope to finish it up this fall, and see if I can get a trip going for early next year. Although I had the same plan last year

I have a neighbor with a land cruiser interested in doing the first stretch too Ed, and a few others (jeep guys) that might be too. I think the key is take 2 weeks off, but don't expect to get more than you think you can in one, and just play it by ear. For me it's not about a challenging drive, but about seeing more of the country at a leisurely pace.

Jeff, I'll have to spend some time on Christian's site, thanks for the link. At a quick glance it looks awesome!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I did Route 66 from Chicago to LA back in college with two buddies in a Firebird!

The part of that trip that I would love to do over again in the Rover is New Mexico - round Las Cruces, up past White Sands, and on to Albuquerque, although this time with two Jerrycans full of diesel, two of H2O, a tent, and lots of desert crossings

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat