Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Overland Showers

At Expo I saw this kool contraption that attaches to any roof rack:

The price tag for the shower is $300 (she's unobtainable ).

At first the price seemed ridiculously high.

But, After doing a quick estimate on how much it will take to manufacture my own... The price was $275 for parts only. (using 6063-T52 aluminum rectangle tube, low pressure relief valve, fittings, hose, filler neck, etc). A 3" x 6" x 60" 6063-T52 aluminum rectangle tube will hold 3.8 gallons of water without taking in consideration the hose.

PVC is out of the question due to its low thermal conductivity.

Anywhoo...

What do you guys use? Without shelling out 300 clams?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:18 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

No woman is unattainable.. Just gotta have an Aussie accent to do it..lol.. Ay Jonesy..

------ Follow up post added October 22nd, 2014 09:22 AM ------

I did one out of PVC and painted it black and trust me, that water got hot throughout the day..but yeah, 300 clams doesn't seem too bad..just make sure you don't hit anything low laying with that thing..
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I did one out of PVC and painted it black and trust me, that water got hot throughout the day..but yeah, 300 clams doesn't seem too bad..just make sure you don't hit anything low laying with that thing..
That was the first inexpensive solution I thought off. But, I ruled PVC out because of its low thermal conductivity...

Since you have effectively used it, I have a few questions:

PVC 40 or 80?
What diameter pipe? 3" or 4"?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
C'mon Pedro. All of this crap can wait. You need to get the truck first. Then get is sorted mechanically. Only then should you be looking at flair.

-Jeff
Technically (or literally) it can't. This year alone I've done 3 (4 with URE) events and I plan on taking the kids next season now that they are older.

I smelled like a bear out of hibernation after Expo and had same issues when I went to RC.

I'm giving up on a D

I'm "flaring" what I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141019_172119.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	105422  

Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:45 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I've used a few different things..

I have a Zodi outdoor shower (http://amzn.com/B003EEESPW) ... but I never really liked it... the water temperature was never consistent, it'd either be cold or scolding hot. Pressure wasn't that great.

I've also used a Nomad H2O to Go (http://amzn.com/B0024M3OJ6) ... there are a couple of different models, one with battery, one that is just 12V... it has great pressure... you just need to warm up some water to put into the reservoir

Also, just regular solar bag camp showers aren't bad.. they do the job and are the cheapest.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:54 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller View Post

I have a Zodi outdoor shower (http://amzn.com/B003EEESPW) ... but I never really liked it... the water temperature was never consistent, it'd either be cold or scolding hot. Pressure wasn't that great.

I've also used a Nomad H2O to Go (http://amzn.com/B0024M3OJ6) ... there are a couple of different models, one with battery, one that is just 12V... it has great pressure... you just need to warm up some water to put into the reservoir

Also, just regular solar bag camp showers aren't bad.. they do the job and are the cheapest.
Thanks Ryan.

I had in mind this way before I went to Expo:

http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Caba...dp/B00DYVQGB4/

www.amazon.com/Docooler-Gallon-Camping-Hiking-Outdoor/dp/B00KT5IA5S

Can't beat the $55... But now you have to store more stuff

Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:02 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Pedro,
There were showers @ Conclave. There was a shower trailer 100 yards away @ Expo. There are showers @ the camp @ Uwharrie. You want to wash your junk out in the open out of a piece of black pipe on your roof rack? Help me understand

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:12 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Pedro,
There were showers @ Conclave. There was a shower trailer 100 yards away @ Expo. There are showers @ the camp @ Uwharrie. You want to wash your junk out in the open out of a piece of black pipe on your roof rack? Help me understand

What he said.

I only smelled Erik over at Lucky8....

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Bottomline, those things only hold 5 gallons of water. That will provide an okay rinse off but not much else. Add the fact that it's gravity fed with steadily reducing pressure as it empties. No thanks. I had an old ChrisCraft water/oil cooler that was plumbed into a 45psi 12v pump and 13 gallon tank under the chassis ('71 IIA). That worked like a charm. If it's worth doing it worth doing it right. Here is several viable options though they do take up a bit more room...but only when actually needed. Just convert to a handheld shower head and pump through a propane water heater.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...-spot-sprayers
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Pedro,
It's more than showering. You can clean stuff, have additional water stored if needed. There are endless uses for water.

And no... I'm not planing of showering on my birthday suit. You guys cannot afford the therapy after that scene.

Good to know URE has showers. (I know Cove has)

------ Follow up post added October 22nd, 2014 10:17 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
Bottomline, those things only hold 5 gallons of water. That will provide an okay rinse off but not much else. Add the fact that it's gravity fed with steadily reducing pressure as it empties. No thanks. I had an old ChrisCraft water/oil cooler that was plumbed into a 45psi 12v pump and 13 gallon tank under the chassis ('71 IIA). That worked like a charm. If it's worth doing it worth doing it right. Here is several viable options though they do take up a bit more room...but only when actually needed. Just convert to a handheld shower head and pump through a propane water heater.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...-spot-sprayers
That's the drawback and why I haven't pulled the trigger.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:14 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Quote:
Pedro,
i don't think pedro means to doing HIS junk washing out in the open, it was for the other user
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:19 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
At Expo I saw this kool contraption that attaches to any roof rack...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
Bottomline, those things only hold 5 gallons of water. That will provide an okay rinse off but not much else... gravity fed with steadily reducing pressure as it empties...
Mark made some good points regarding drawbacks.
I think the other drawback is that the only means to heat the water is the sun, so the wait time for warm water is what the outside ambient temp + some solar factor can provide which is useless for half the year in our climate don't you know.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:24 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I just picked up this thing. Haven't tested it yet but it's supposed to be a good unit. It has an internal battery to power the pump as well as AC and DC plugs. Propane only fires up when water is being pumped and you use an external water source such as jerry can, bucket or river. It's supposed to heat water 45 degrees over standing temperature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3966070526.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	105452  
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:29 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Jeff:
Looks like a good unit in the same price range as the Overland Shower.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:34 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Pedro,
Reading this I was going to post the exact same thing Doug!!! Aint nobody wanna see Pedro's junk ---- dude unless you are in the freaking wilderness Pedro you do not need this.

THERE ARE MANY MORE IMPORTANT THINGS YOU NEED TO DO TO THAT DISCO...but once again...it is Pedro!
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:45 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Heat up some water on yer camp stove. Pour it into a $15 garden sprayer. Pump it up and boom, shower. You can get a pretty good bath with a 2 gallon one.
Very old sailboater trick for small boats with no hot water system or room in the head.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller View Post

I have a Zodi outdoor shower (http://www.amazon.com/ZODI-Outback-G...ds=zodi+shower) ... but I never really liked it... the water temperature was never consistent, it'd either be cold or scolding hot. Pressure wasn't that great.
I have a Zodi as well. They work great, are low cost, and take up little room. You just have to learn how to use it and you should have no trouble with consistent and correct temperature for a full shower.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:59 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
I smelled like a bear out of hibernation after Expo and had same issues when I went to RC.
A bottle of Axe cologne and you will be smelling like a skinny pants wearing hipster.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:21 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I just picked up this thing. Haven't tested it yet but it's supposed to be a good unit. It has an internal battery to power the pump as well as AC and DC plugs. Propane only fires up when water is being pumped and you use an external water source such as jerry can, bucket or river. It's supposed to heat water 45 degrees over standing temperature.
Jeff.

Thanks for the info. Let me know how it performs.

P

Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:29 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Schedule 80 PVC is for higher pressure, PVC Schedule 40 can handle pressure as well, and should be fine. Personally I think what you have with this "solution" is essentially useless though.

-3.8 gallons? And you plan to use it for you, your wife and kids, and extra water supply?
-Showering with one hand sucks. You'll use more water than if you were using two hands.
-There are showers at just about every single event. If your argument is that you can also use this for additional water supplies, then I would figure out something better suited for those water needs (like jugs of water) and shower at the facilities provided.
-Most of the best Rover events happen in the Fall-late Fall-Winter, i.e. it's colder out.
-Showering outside when you're at the beach is awesome. Showering outside in the Fall on a chilly morning on the frozen dew with a light breeze, no curtain to block the wind, while trying to rinse off with one hand and your loofa, and the garden hose in the other will blow. You and your kids and your wife will see Gustavo stepping out of one of the luxury showers provided at some events, looking refreshed, and you'll have a family of deserters - you'll be the only one left using your shower for the rest of time, just to hold on to some little bit of pride for creating such a masterpiece.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat