Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 19th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I thought overlanding meant you were going to be off road at least some of the time. What do you call a young guy driving a lightweight 5000 miles and sleeping in the back?
Definitely a hobo....of the brandon variety
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Really what it comes down to is that if you call it overlanding, you are probably going through a mid-life crisis.
Old September 19th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
And Overlanding is throwing all of that crap (Snow Peak) in a Pelican case and heading to the state park. Ideally you want to write a trip report when you are done and include some quotes about wandering and not being lost.
Lets not forget posting posed pictures of your campsite with emphasis on your expensive gear. To be followed with pictures of your meals served on your snow peak plates and utensils with the obligatory capture of your wrist watch in same. Then and only then, will you be accepted as a peer on Expedition Exchange's forum.

Gotta give it to Ho, the one upmanship has been an awesome marketing ploy for them.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Although, it does beg the question, what do you call four hipsters wearing skinny jeans in a d90 driving across the country? -Jeff
Frisco is evicting all metrosexuals? Ha ha
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:27 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wait, there is another forum? Have I been send my stories and pictures to the wrong place? Do I have to have a watch to join? I knew I was doing something wrong trying to capture my pocket watch in those pics.
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:28 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
And Overlanding is throwing all of that crap (Snow Peak) in a Pelican case and heading to the state park. Ideally you want to write a trip report when you are done and include some quotes about wandering and not being lost.
Don't forget the cast iron pans!
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Don't forget the cast iron pans!
Ah yes, the all important cast iron and Snow Peak titanium combo, pretty much obligatory.
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:48 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
And don't forget the uber 'exotic' coffee beans from the discrete Central American village that nobody heard of before.
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:54 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
And grits for breakfast.
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:08 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I don't know what you call it, but when I got home from my first 3,500 mi trip in a NAD 110 with just a sleeping bag, I was sure glad to be home!!
And now that I think about it, that may very well be when I started having back issues... It made long distance motorcycling seem very comfortable!

Old September 19th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
There is no agreed upon definition, but the term overlanding is generally considered self-sufficient vehicle based travel over extended length and distances. It's car camping plus distance plus time. And you don't need fancy gear to overland, but you need to be generally self sufficient, which is an easy bar to reach in North America and Europe if camping at established sites.

The real abused term is 'expedition'. That's a whole other story....

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
There is no agreed upon definition, but the term overloading is generally considered self-sufficient vehicle based travel over extended length and distances. It's car camping plus distance plus time. And you don't need fancy gear to overland, but you need to be generally self sufficient, which is an easy bar to reach in North America and Europe if camping at established sites.

If you have enough pelican cases, its definitely an expedition. I think the funniest thing is Expedition Overland, those guys crack me up.
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
If you have enough pelican cases, its definitely an expedition. I think the funniest thing is Expedition Overland, those guys crack me up.
I had a bunch of pelican cases, taking a page off Camel Trophy and their extensive military use (got most of mine deployed), but ended up ditching them all (except my humidor) over the years due to their ridiculous weight. I use a couple wolf boxes now. Those are perfect for a 110, and light weight.

Old September 19th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
I had a bunch of pelican cases, taking a page off Camel Trophy and their extensive military use (got most of mine deployed), but ended up ditching them all (except my humidor) over the years due to their ridiculous weight. I use a couple wolf boxes now. Those are perfect for a 110, and light weight.
I use a few Pelican cases and find them great for car camping, but you won't find me calling it overlanding or an expedition. Our dog takes up the back of my D90, so pretty much anything bulky we take camping is going on the roof in a Pelican case.
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Overlanding is when you take your 4x4, overloaded, cost overrun exotic vehicle driving around on LAND. As opposed to Overyachting where you take your overloaded, cost overrun exotic boat on WATER.(sometimes known as sailing)

If you're like the guy I saw yesterday in his 67 Corvette with what seemed like all his personal belongings in it you are either car camping or homeless.
Blog;
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If you're in established campsites or a Walmart parking lot, it's car camping.
If you're hiding between rigs at a truck stop or getting woken up in the middle of the night by the local authorities it's over landing.
If there are cigarettes and a DWI then it's a road trip.

Old September 19th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
There is no agreed upon definition, but the term overloading is generally considered self-sufficient vehicle based travel over extended length and distances. It's car camping plus distance plus time. And you don't need fancy gear to overland, but you need to be generally self sufficient, which is an easy bar to reach in North America and Europe if camping at established sites.

X8...
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
X8...
And never leaving your own zip code with your Land Rover, or never doing more than going to an in-state 4wd park you pay access for, to get mud on your Defender tires is being a poser.

hater's gonna hate, but if guys take their Rovers stocked with snow peak and adventure pants on real border crossing trips, then as far as I'm concerned, they are fulfilling the 'one life live it' ethos.

That said, having all that expo gear and not going anywhere with it except the mall: refer to my first point.

I'm just in a completely different mindset from the guys that love their Land Rover's but would never want to take them anywhere other than Cars & Coffee or happy hour.

Old September 19th, 2015, 04:04 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

[QUOTE=Overlander;672949]And never leaving your own zip code with your Land Rover, or never doing more than going to an in-state 4wd park you pay access for, to get mud on your Defender tires is being a poser.

hater's gonna hate, but if guys take their Rovers stocked with snow peak and adventure pants on real border crossing trips, then as far as I'm concerned, they are fulfilling the 'one life live it' ethos.

Driving the Defender across Belize, Guatemala, El Salvadore and Mexico last year, we never saw another Defender at the border crossings!! And only a handful across the entire trip. And certainly none of the mall crawler wannabes.
The oddest part was that extended family thought we were irresponsible taking the kids on such a trip. But, this year they -our kids- pleaded to return to the malnutrition center to feed the babies again. And stay in the jungles with the Howlers ;-)

Regardless of what you call it, just do something that warrants the vehicles we all love. Camp, overland, road trip, or wheel it, doesn't really matter. But they are certainly more that vehicular art forms.... It always amazed me back in the Porsche days how few owners ever really got what the 911s were all about. At least Defender folks seem to get it- even if just fantasizing about Africa whilst driving in traffic...

Old September 19th, 2015, 04:34 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Road trip: any trip greater than 50 miles, less than 1000.
Over landing: anything greater than 1000.

Just the way I look at it.
I suppose but when you're from a larger state like TX you get use to it taking 500+miles to get anywhere and back. So for me that is 'going for a drive' or a visit, and 1000+ is a 'road trip'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I brought a fitted sheet on my last camping trip.
I always bring a full size pillow from off my bed.. 'cause it's cozy

Quote:
Really what it comes down to is that if you call it overlanding, you are probably going through a mid-life crisis.
You crack me up Jimmy...you're such a smarty pants

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat