Outdoor Video Surveillance Systems? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:34 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Outdoor Video Surveillance Systems?

I am considering buying an outdoor perimeter video surveillance system that can be accessed remotely from anywhere. Am trying to school myself.

There are a lot of choices and alternatives (ie: wireless vs hardwired; PC based vs hardware based). Each appears to have its own advantages and disadvantages.

Does anyone here have experience with remote video surveillance systems that they would be willing to share? What works best? Likes / Dislikes? "If I had it to do over I'd do XYZ instead of ABC?" What questions should a potential buyer ask a vendor?

Thanks very much.
(yes, I did search first!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:14 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Monochrome B&W works better in lower light conditions, requires less storage capacity and tend to have a higher resolution!

... think about positioning ... where the sun rises and sets as that may blind the camera for periods of the day or at different time of day.

Think about infrared flood lights rather than the LED's that some cheaper cameras come with ...

Use dummy boxes as visual deterrent and ensure your real camera's have a clear line of site ( trees, foliage flowers etc )

If you are going to store all these video feeds make sure it's stored locally and backed up in real time to the internet ... a smart thief would steal the video storage device!!
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:41 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Monochrome B&W works better in lower light conditions, requires less storage capacity and tend to have a higher resolution!

... think about positioning ... where the sun rises and sets as that may blind the camera for periods of the day or at different time of day.

Think about infrared flood lights rather than the LED's that some cheaper cameras come with ...

Use dummy boxes as visual deterrent and ensure your real camera's have a clear line of site ( trees, foliage flowers etc )

If you are going to store all these video feeds make sure it's stored locally and backed up in real time to the internet ... a smart thief would steal the video storage device!!
I agree with all of this, especially the dummy boxes/cameras. You'd be surprised how much a red LED can deter theft.

I'd think you'd want hardwired power, but wireless communication to a dedicated PC. Free/open source software will allow you to view it nearly anywhere with internet (likely using a free Dynamic DNS setup).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2011, 12:18 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Jason / Danny; thank you for the input.
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

If you're going to run power anyway, you may as well run coax for the cameras. Wireless cameras can be finicky.

My system uses a Speco DVR, APC battery back-up, and Nuvico IR cameras. I have an iPhone app where I can view the cameras remotely.
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Axis is the brand you want.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
door