Our 8 year old dog bit our 2 year old daughter... - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 1st, 2014, 05:05 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Do you have a crate for your dog, where it can go when it needs a comforting, protective space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2014, 05:09 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
Do you have a crate for your dog, where it can go when it needs a comforting, protective space?
We do, she won't usually go in on her own but won't put up a fuss if one of us puts her in it.

Her solace is under the dining room table or up in the corner of the couch where this happened. Obviously this adds to the reasons as she saw it as "her" place. That's being remedied now.
Old July 1st, 2014, 05:47 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

We still have our crates out. Dogs will go in whenever we tell them to. They also go in as we get closer to bed time. No need to close the door.
I'd stop the food grazing habit to.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2014, 08:19 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
So to finish my thought from last night, when my daughter was about 2 and my dog Taylor was around 8ish she nipped at Elizabeth one day. I saw it. I Grabbed the Glock and the dog and out we went to do the deal. The ex-wife talks me into not doing the deed and taking her to the vet instead. Sure enough our vet (a great country vet) pokes here and pinches there and she yelps and nips at the Doc. So we put her on some anti-inflamitory and pain meds and all was fine (I think Doc bought a new F350 off that dog). I will also say (as was said before) we trained the girls to be gentle with the dog. And as the girls and Taylor got older she was never more than a few feet from them and all was good till she (the dog) passed. But at the end of the day your babies are (and always will be) your FIRST priority.
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:39 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
Do this and tell your child to stop acting like a two year old, lol
Sounds to me like things are crazy at your house right now, with new born and mom off her feet. You are tired and stressed out. Your dog picks up on this and is stressed also, the two year old is just being herself, but kids can be very tough on pets, I've seen them poke at eyes and pull ears, they don't know when to stop, sounds to me like the dog needed some down time. But never leave them alone and as much as I love dogs our kids come first.
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:43 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Do what you can to acclimate the dog and your daughter... Be careful, and keep an eye on both, try and train them to respect each other. If that doesn't work, it will be time to get rid of the dog.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:53 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Poor dog! He is old, sick, tired, cannot speak, has no hands and there is an infant and a hyper-toddler chasing him? That is a lot of change in a short amount of time. You have gotten a lot of good advice here.
Except for the beating and killing of course. Don't do any of that!! Be firm - not crazy and scary. If you go over the top with the aggression it will desensitize him. I rarely have to discipline Rex because I rarely raise my voice to him. When he's in trouble he knows it!

We had a similar experience here. My son picked Rex from a litter and like your dog he is smaller, very intelligent and protective. We love him and think he’s great. Earlier this year at age three Rex began to try and assert his alpha over my son. It was me, Rex and then Brett. My son was trying to move him out of the way and Rex growled at him. I immediately stood over Rex, yelled ‘NO!!’ and gave him one solid spank on the rear. He submitted and everything was fine. A few days later I heard Rex’s bark and Brett yell ‘HEY!’ I go investigate and Rex had nipped Brett on the arm. I was advised by someone to put Rex down. When I questioned why I should go to that extreme and not just find him a new home if his behavior could not be improved; his explanation was that a dog would be miserable if taken out of it's pack and would suffer more if allowed to live. I found that logic irrational. Instead I demonstrated to Brett what to do if Rex ever did that again. All it took was one more time. Rex growled at Brett and Brett let him have it. He did exactly as I showed him and Rex now knows his place. The experience gave Brett confidence and he learned how to interact with his dog and be a responsible pet owner.
Equally important is that he will never have to think that he may have played a part in the death of his first dog and best friend.
It would be acceptable to me if I had to explain to my child that the puppy couldn't stay because it was not use to being around babies...rather than the puppy had to be euthanized because it was not use to being around babies.

I think you and your family are going to work this out just fine. Your dog is just trying to adjust to all of the changes in the house and he is getting older. I would start with the vet check and consultation. Make sure he is healthy and in no pain. But be prepared to have to find a new home for him too. But don't worry - There are plenty of people with older or no children who would love and appreciate him. He is very cute!!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:24 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Well written Carmen!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:09 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Lets see a picture of your dog?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:29 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Sometimes a beating is appropriate

I am a dog owner, but also use my head and not my heart.

When I was 3-4 we had a GD, he loved us ( sis and I ), one day we screwed my mom's 15th couches with mud, so Dad try to discipline us in front of Run ( the GD ), so Run decided to tell my Dad to f@#k off by standing on his back legs and swinging his front while showing teeth.

So Dad proceeded to demonstrate there was only one Boss in that house

After Run got his disciplinary action, never again stood up to Dad, furthermore , every time Dad walked in, Run will lay down and observe.

If the above doesn't work for you, we can always take the dog for one final walk :-) just kidding
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:50 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

I had a Cairn Terrier (spitting image of Toto) growing up. Had her for 17(!) years and was heart broken when we had to put her down (had a stroke and lost the use of the back part of her body. They are a great breed and are smart. Your dog was doing nothing more than what many humans which they could do but know better. When you are not feeling well, having someone poke and prod at you is not a good thing. This is a learning experience for both the dog and your child.

I recently got a 3 year old (best guess really) Beagle from the shelter. She started with the whole resource guarding thing but much like Carmens suggestion, presence and demonstrating that she is not in the puppy mill anymore, no one is threatening her, and with a firm word and a quick pop every now and again, she now knows. She is now the most loving, relaxed, antithesis Beagle I have ever encountered.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:54 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Lets see a picture of your dog?
Here's from about a week ago or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pips_Keene.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	97972  
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Here's from about a week ago or so.
One of those looks like a vicious creature. The other is a dog.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:57 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
One of those looks like a vicious creature. The other is a dog.
If a dog could roll their eyes, this one could be the first to do so.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:12 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Puppy love

This is Brett and Rex about four months after we brought him home. We found Rex on a back road. He was walking behind his momma and the rest of his litter. I pulled over, put everyone in the car and found the house they belonged to. When we were pulling out to leave, Brett had that look on his face so I asked him if he'd like to ask the owner if he would part with one of the pups. He said 'Yes!' We went back and the owner was talking about the pups and praised some on how pretty, he also said that one of the pups was a 'knuckle head..always getting his head stuck in the lattice panel'...Brett picked up Rex and said 'I'll take this one'. The owner asked him if he was sure and tried to change his mind by holding up another one. Brett looked at Rex and said 'Yup! Definitely!' Brett was so happy. On the drive home I asked why he chose Rex over all of the others and he said that it was because Rex looked friendly, the man had called him a knuckle head and probably would have been mean to him. Brett made a good call. Rex is a great dog and they are like two peas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	98007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1305.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	98008  

Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:33 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I was actually bitten by a 100lb+ German Shepard yesterday. It is a friends dog and I was always cautious around him as he has nipped at me before. Usually they cage him but yesterday we were cool, he even licked me and seemed very friendly. I was telling a story and making a throwing motion when the dog bit me right in the ass . Scared the daylights out of me. Hurt a lot too, luckily it just barely broke the skin, and it is a large bruise today. I was glad it was not lower in the leg as I had shorts on.

Just goes to show how things can go around dogs I guess. I have been around that dog since a pup. I really do not blame the dog, I suppose he dealt with me as a possible threat. You could see however that after being scolded and caged he knew he had done wrong. I just will not be around him uncaged again as it seems he has a bit of a taste for me.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I tortured my dogs when I was a kid (so I am told) and I can only imagine what kind of shit kids put a dog through on a daily basis.

The only time my beloved spring spaniel ever bit me was because my brother and a friend had been pestering her, she was under the table and I reached to pet her and she ripped my finger up. I corrected her (I think I was 17 at the time) then my brother chimed in that they had been messing with her.

Long story short it isn't always so cut and dry when a dog bites, very often they are on edge, cornered, or feel threatened in some way they cannot communicate.

My advice is to educate the children and be patient with the dog. If my parents put down a family pet every time it bit me I wouldn't have had any of my dogs very long...

------ Follow up post added July 3rd, 2014 10:31 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
There's something to this, she does seem "off", between stomach issues and general "I'll just go out to pee, I don't care about the rabbits today" she seems a bit lethargic. I'll bring her in ASAP as well.
my dog was just diagnosed with Anaplasmosis [sic] its a close cousin to Lyme disease.

She was tired, not eating, lethargic, and dehydrated (really suspect number 2).

She is on antibiotics now and back to normal. I had associated her sickness with stress (we were gone for a few days) but that turned out to be very incorrect.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 02:47 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Im in this camp. Animals, are exactly that, animals, not people. I also make my parental responsibilities paramount. Its your job to raise those kids and keep them safe.
-Jeff
+1.
I'm glad to read some intelligent reply.
It's a Cain terrier, for heaven's sake, not a tiger.
8 yo terrier and a 2 yo kid. You get the vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
If you are all going to be a bunch of pansies about it you should not get dogs and kids.
^^^ THIS ^^^

I guess being 8yo it may be a tad reluctant to learn new tricks.
I'd start educating the kid first, before exterminating innocent pets.
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old July 7th, 2014, 09:13 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
+1.
I'm glad to read some intelligent reply.
It's a Cain terrier, for heaven's sake, not a tiger.
8 yo terrier and a 2 yo kid. You get the vision.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I guess being 8yo it may be a tad reluctant to learn new tricks.
I'd start educating the kid first, before exterminating innocent pets.
We were at my parents for the long weekend, who have another dog, and all was fine while we were there. The other dog really actively avoids kids so that made it easier to keep them apart. So far the 2 year old has been much better about not chasing/pestering the dog. Keene (the dog) seems to get that we want the 2 of them separated and doesn't sit on the couch in question anymore. I'm still going to have a trainer come in for a professional assessment but this is increasingly looking like an isolated incident.
Old July 7th, 2014, 10:13 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

It's great there are so many good people on this site with mostly constructive views that are seemingly thoughtful.

Here's my perspective having two 2 year olds, I think this decision, like all decisions that are involved being a parent, advocate and experienced voice on their behalf, it's simple.

You just have to think about the how you would feel if your dog had "insert bad outcome here" and as her daddy, you didn't proactively stop it.

painful no doubt, but simple

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
dog, ht