Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:34 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I've had to deal with this twice in the past on separate occasions. Both times the end result was to put the dog down, from a big picture perspective it seem the lesser of all evils. It's a very difficult thing. Good Luck.
Putting a dog down for what he describes would be about the stupist fucking thing I've heard in a long time!
A vicious bite or attack is a different story. Dogs bark, growl, and nip. It's fucking normal.
That's how sheep dogs move sheep and people.
Any dog no matter how wonderful can be driven to growl or nip at someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:36 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Beat that dogs ass until he/she understands that the action was not acceptable. I love my dogs more than anything but I would beat them into submission if they harmed my niece or my children.

Eradicate the behavior now and you will avoid a really bad situation later.
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:44 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Don't know if this was mentioned but take the dog to the vet as an 8 year dog may have arthritis or hip issues and is in pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:47 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
Beat that dogs ass until he/she understands that the action was not acceptable. I love my dogs more than anything but I would beat them into submission if they harmed my niece or my children.

Wow! That would be so the wrong thing to do. Just makes the dog fearful which makes biting even more likely.
Btw his dog did not bite or harm the child. I think it showed great restraint in fact.
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you are all going to be a bunch of pansies about it you should not get dogs and kids.
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:17 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
]Don't let everyone here blow things out of proportion. You know the dog, you know what happened. It seems to me you know why it happened. It wasn't the dogs fault or the kids. The kid needs limits and supervision around any dog. All kids do. Two year olds are pretty poor listeners so it's not going to be easy.

I have a Cairn Myself. So like me, you know this breed is protective but also fierce and a bit sensitive to rough play. Mine nips at me all the time if I surprise it and try to pick her up when she is lying on her bed etc. But she doesn't bite. And it sounds like yours didn't bite either.
I have been bitten by a dog and it's purposeful and it breaks the skin. Dogs can't talk so a little nip is their way of saying hands off, leave me alone. And it's fair for them to be able to do that.

I'd say keep you child away from the dogs food and don't bother it when it's sleeping or lying on the couch. And chasing any animal is never a good idea.
I appreciate you saying this. I do know the dog and while she does want her alone time I think the first step (besides calling somebody for a professional assessment) is wielding in the 2 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I'm going to suggest you take the leash and go out walking with her. Use the food as a source of control. Sounds like you go with wet. Dry works just fine. Just put it out in the morning then take it away.
Your family's routine has changed and you need to help her adapt.
Food for this dog really isn't much of a motivator, I know it seems weird especially when I grew up with a cocker spaniel that would've eaten herself to death if enough food was available. Exercise however, I am going to make a conscious effort to do this. I'll make a point to walk her every day if my wife can't (especially for now while walking is still not super easy for her). She has always liked her her sleep and between that and her stomach issues lately (which aren't uncommon for her if stressed, new baby) I think that was the straw that broke the camels back tonight. The 2 year old, she will be kept away from her entirely for a few weeks. While I'm still shaken up about this tonight, if left to their own devices (knowing these 2) tomorrow they'll be laying on top of one another in their chair at 7am, not just yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Don't know if this was mentioned but take the dog to the vet as an 8 year dog may have arthritis or hip issues and is in pain.
There's something to this, she does seem "off", between stomach issues and general "I'll just go out to pee, I don't care about the rabbits today" she seems a bit lethargic. I'll bring her in ASAP as well.
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:31 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Definitely get some good professional advice...As you can see here, you're going to get WIDELY varying opinions from anyone you ask, because people will always respond with their own experiences and emotions - which will very rarely be an exact duplicate of your situation. You definitely need to establish boundaries with both your 2yr old and the dog - believe me they'll both be smart enough to get it! You'll just have to keep a good watch and not allow the child to have full unsupervised contact with the dog until you get this ironed out...

Good luck with everything. I think you'll get it figured out. Just be careful and firm with both of them in the meanwhile. You definitely will have to take the Alpha position with the dog...They're all about the pack and respect!
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:51 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
It is totally unacceptable for the dog to put teeth o n a human. Especially a baby. Sorry, but you need to get rid of the dog.
I agree with Paul... The mut has to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post

I had to this to my Rottweiler once because she attached the little dog... They do learn.

But with a little human... The mut has to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:48 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Take the dog to the vet and explain what happened. Ask for the best trainer in you area. Vets are doctors so you have to communicate with them for your pet like you do when YOU are at the doctor.

You know the dog and you will do the right thing ( in your heart) for your family and the dog.

Lets see a picture of the dog?
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:20 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I can't believe I'm giving out dog advice, but the one thing my dog is pretty good at is immediately stopping (and usually not repeating) any undesirable behavior we see in person, because we immediately discipline him when he does something wrong that we were actually there to witness. We rough house with the dog, but at the same time if he starts to get a little more aggressive, we have a "BE NICE" command, and he usually just starts kissing us instead. Having a stern command that your dog listens to and respects may go a long way the next time you hear any warning sounds coming from your dog toward your 2 year old.

Does your dog have all of its teeth? Even if my dog gets aggressive in old age, I don't think he's going to have any teeth left to do any damage.

Honestly, it'll likely take some training of both your dog and your 2 year old.
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:24 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I dunno about your area but here in regualtory heaven if you take a dog to the vet and tell the vet that it bit someone, the vet is obligated to report the bite to the Animal Control police who will come visit you and determine whether the dog needs to be quarantined, put down or what. At your expense of course.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:28 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I can't believe I'm giving out dog advice, but the one thing my dog is pretty good at is immediately stopping (and usually not repeating) any undesirable behavior we see in person, because we immediately discipline him when he does something wrong that we were actually there to witness. We rough house with the dog, but at the same time if he starts to get a little more aggressive, we have a "BE NICE" command, and he usually just starts kissing us instead. Having a stern command that your dog listens to and respects may go a long way the next time you hear any warning sounds coming from your dog toward your 2 year old.

Does your dog have all of its teeth? Even if my dog gets aggressive in old age, I don't think he's going to have any teeth left to do any damage.

Honestly, it'll likely take some training of both your dog and your 2 year old.
At least it's not Jimmy "cat lover" Jams giving dog advice

Good luck training a 2 year old

Old July 1st, 2014, 08:35 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
You do know the difference between a two year old and a terrorist, right? You can negotiate with a terrorist.
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:48 AM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

Dog

Now that you have documented the bite on a public forum any attack /bite that happens after this you will be considered liable/guilty.I am a dog person but there is a great deal more to consider beyond the dogs longevity .Its tough.
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:05 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Josh: I think you dog has many more issues than this one does.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:27 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

My dog nipped at my then 2 year old son but didn't get him. Within 30 minutes she was out of the house. I hated to do it, but it had to be done.

Old July 1st, 2014, 02:36 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
My dog nipped at my then 2 year old son but didn't get him. Within 30 minutes she was out of the house. I hated to do it, but it had to be done.
In a black bag?

Old July 1st, 2014, 03:12 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Take this for what it's worth and it's only my opinion and also take into account that I'm too lazy to read all the responses.

I have a 12 year welsh terrier. When my daughter was born he was 7. Terriers are typically feisty dogs and if not trained or what not can nip. Well when I brought my daughter home he instantly hated her. He wasn't sure what she was, blah, blah. By the time she was 8 or 9 months if she was on the ground he would have probably gone after her. In fact when she was crawling she found him hiding under a table and she crawled up to him and he bit her face. Luckily he didn't hurt her to bad. For me getting rid of a dog I had since he was six weeks old, who I sent across country for cancer treatment that I loved was not an option. I mean I know the dog. The kid is still new and at an age I could throw her in a safe drop at the police station. So I found the best dog trainer around and spent a ton of money on training and got a shock collar with a remote so he would know his place in the house. I tried this for a few weeks and I guess it worked but then someone mentioned that my dog was walking slow and didn't seem right. I had not noticed. I took him in and it turns out he had a herniated disc. As soon as I got him the right meds, suddenly he was totally different to our daughter. He loved her and now they literally sleep on top of each other.

My point in a long winded way, is you mentioned your dog felt sick and your kid went up to her when she really wasn't in the mood. Kids aren't the best at soothing a sick animal. I think the lesson here is when your dog is sick, get the kid to leave it alone. It doesn't sound like you need training or anything else. Terriers are smart dogs and can get pissed off. Look when my daughter jumps on me and I'm not ready it can hurt and I get pissed. I would expect nothing different of an animal. The difference is they really can only communicate with barking or biting.

Now can someone please take Horsey for a walk. I think he needs some exercise and a bathroom break.
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:19 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
This and what Barry said.

I don't remember much from when my kids were 2. I do remember when they were young and my wife and i went out and had a drink too many that the next day dealing with a young kid(s) and not feeling well sucked more than anything else in life and if I was a dog I would have probably growled and nipped at them. Hell - I probably did just that as a human.

And dogs love walks more than anything else. Mine go from pain in the asses to I love them again after a good tour on the trails.
Old July 1st, 2014, 05:03 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
I am not a professional dog trainer but I have trained several for more than just the basics and I grew up with dogs a plenty as my mother does train dogs for search and rescue and as therapy dogs and I have raised three other animals/Children so take this for what it is worth. But IMHO this is NOT a problem with your dog but a problem with your child. She was harassing your dog and the dog told her to lay off as best she knew how. She did not break the skin but gave a firm warning. My guess is that your child has begun to learn her lesson but like a Chesapeake Bay Retriever may need more teaching to get it into her thick skull. That is where you come. The instant you see her bothering the dog she needs to be told not to. Then you need to spend time with both the dog and child playing together. The dog needs to associate all of you children as a positive experience and your children need to know how to play with dogs. When that sort of thing has happened in my house the kid caught holy hell for it. That breed of dog while maybe not the best for family (it is a terrier) is still going to be okay and children need to learn limits. I would say you have a good friend to help teach your child a few valuable lessons in life, including not running away from a problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
dog, ht