OT- S2 discovery's ??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Dave C
1983 110
OT- S2 discovery's ???

So, I have been unsuccesfull in convincing the wife that a S1 discovery is the way to go - she prefers the looks of the S2, which leads me into very unfamiliar territory - quite frankly, I've heard so much bad stuff about these, that I'm loath even to start looking...

I know about the lack of a CDL - which was remedied in (i think) 2003.
I also know these things seem to rust just as well as S1's ever did.
Almost every one seems to have at least one electrical gremlin regarding locks / windows / other
Headgaskets seem to be a weak point?
Air suspension is an option best avoided
Poor fuel economy (16 at very best)?

I also notice that the prices seem to be a lot lower than they were a few years ago, and are still falling, and there is probably a lot of bargaining potential...

What is the best way to tell if the head gaskets are good? If they do let go, is it an easy fix or does it normally take out heads / block?

So, what are your thoughts / experiences? Anything specific to watch out for aside from the obvious dents and smoke?

Old November 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3
Check out this post for a lot of good info on debunking some of the myths of the truck; http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46593

1) CDL -- 99/00/some 2001s have the right transfer case, but no linkage, you must either get a 2004 linkage, retrofit a d1 linkage, or do something custom... 2002/2003 does not have the 'nipple' on the transfer case to engage cdl.. either need to modify the transfer case, or do a swap.. 2004 has the cdl linkage
2) it'll rust similar to a D1... i dont notice any rust in the door jams tho like in the d1s
3) headgaskets do seem to go often, but basically when you replace it once with the updated gasket, you're good to go
4) i'd personally stick with coils, no SLS to worry about
5) fuel economy varies depending on modifications and driving habits.. if you keep it stock and have a light foot, you could probably see 16.. i usually see 9city/12hwy, but im on 33s and lots of weight in mods.

If possible, go with a 2004, they are the best of the bunch, 4.6 engine, CDL handle, and just a lot of things 'fixed' from previous years.

Be wary of some 2003s, as they have a recall on oil pump failures that take the whole engine with it.

1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree
I love my Disco II. You need a rave cd, tools, and patience! I have CDL linkage from a D1. My gas mileage pre-lift and larger tires on the highway was around 20-22, long trips I could squeeze 24. Now with a lift, bigger tires, rack, and RTE bumper on highway 16-18 and in town I get about 13. You have to be very proactive with the maint., plus you have to get her muddy some or they get really mad.
Strawberry Abita beer........mmmmm I love seasonal beer time!
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:27 PM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
I'm not too excited about my '04 dII. Seems to need new plugs and wires once a year and has seen its fair share of warranty work. The Check Engine light is on at least once a month. Never left me stranded though but has shut itself down in traffic a few times and given me the trans ecu faults on occasion. My 2000 DII was actually issue free in comparison. It is a daily driver that is largely stock. I would have dumped it if the used pricing had held up. Now it just seems silly to until the CPO warranty runs out. You should do your best to get a hold of someone who will buy at auction on your behalf. The auction pricing for LR's these days is insanely low.
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
The DII is a great truck! The aren't particularly problematic, there are a few things to be aware of though. I would definitely go for an '03 or preferably '04 (CDL) as the 4.6 is just so much nicer to drive. The older ones feel underpowered, but the 4.6 feels great. The most common things I see with them are O2 sensors, Gas Caps, Window Regulators, and around 80k miles they tend to throw the front driveshaft. Check the drive shaft at every opp./oil change/whatever because when it blows, it whips around and cracks the bell housing, which is not separable from the trans! Coils and HT leads go occasionally, but not too frequently from what I've seen. The problem is, where the coils are mounted makes it difficult to get to. If you have to replace a coil or all the wires you have to remove the intake, so if you are paying a shop, its going to cost around $1k.
"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

cover, disco, discovery