OT--new TDI - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Have you sat in an evoque? Diesel or not it is a useless car at least from a practicality standpoint. I am sure every 16 year old girl has begged for one though.

Does anyone know if you can get the tdi sport wagon in a stick? I thought you couldn't.

I would like one of those toureg v10 diesels they made a few years ago. They really seem to retain their value.

Not that this is an option but interesting anyway. I think icon now offers a vw diesel option in their trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I would like one of those toureg v10 diesels they made a few years ago. They really seem to retain their value.
I have wanted one of these, too.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Have you sat in an evoque? Diesel or not it is a useless car at least from a practicality standpoint. I am sure every 16 year old girl has begged for one though.

Does anyone know if you can get the tdi sport wagon in a stick? I thought you couldn't.

Not that this is an option but interesting anyway. I think icon now offers a vw diesel option in their trucks.
Sat in one last Saturday. It was red with a white roof (nice look). The Audi Q7 TDI is a nice SUV, just a little big for our needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:48 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

They have insane torque. They were available in ca when diesels weren't sold here because their weight put them in a commercial class. Really cool.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:29 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ever seen the MPG figures on one of those Touareg V10 diesels? It's rotten, like, sub-20.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

TDI sportwagens come in stick (I have one).
Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Ever seen the MPG figures on one of those Touareg V10 diesels? It's rotten, like, sub-20.
Depends on the driver. I have seen one that does in the mid 20s when driven slowly. Not bad for its size. The problem for me is having to pull the engine or lift the body to service the turbos. No way am I touching that with a ten foot pole. 500+ ft lbs of torque could be fun tho.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Just curious--does anyone know what a RRC, such as a '95 with a TDI gets?
25mpg avg. Bone stock LWB auto other than the Tdi (not the SwampSlut which gets considerably lower mileage). Would probably be capable of a better average if I drove on the highway much.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
I currently have both a 2011 Golf TDI 2-door and my wife has a 1999 Beetle TDI. The older ALH got better mileage than the CR engine that is used now. The ALH was also only a 90Hp engine, and the CR is 140Hp.

My old Jetta (2003) was an ALH with a bigger turbo, injectors, etc.. I could still spank my buddies TDICup Jetta, and still knocked down an average of 44-46 MPG. My wife in her stock ALH gets almost 50! The new Golf is hovering at 40MPG, but only has 6000 miles on her.

The Golf was only bought as a replacement for the Jetta after I was rear-ended really bad and had it totaled out.

The TDI will cost more to get into, but they also hold their value very well. Do a price check on a 2003 Jetta 2.0 Gas, and a 1.9 TDI. The TDI will sell for $8-12k, a gasser will sell for $1-3k.

Also, the ALH works great on Bio and WVO. The Beetle is setup with a two-tank system, so I usally don't even pay for fuel.

I am planning on making up a two-tank system for my D110 after I am done installing my TDI300. During the Zombie Wars I will be ready!
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Whats in your two tank system? SVO or Bio?
Old December 22nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Whats in your two tank system? SVO or Bio?

SVO in the 2nd tank.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle

SVO in the 2nd tank.
Solid... Ran SVO in my single tank W123 wagon. Love the reaction of others at stop lights.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I love that Toureg II V10 TDI. Absolute hooligan, but could never get over 17 MPGs with the lead foot syndrome. But obviously, that truck is not for financial savings of any sort....$72K for a VW...

I see the TDI/VW fan boys are strong here. No one must have issues with HPFP, window regulators, trunk latches, EGR, coils, electrical gremlins, lights, water ingress, dealerships, etc, Worth and actual selling price is a far different matter. Would you buy a 2003 TDI with 150-180K for $8-12K? Read the tdi forums for issues relating to the new CR in virtually all european diesels run here in the states. Obviously, if this engine can run up to 300K with little repair like the older TDIs, then winner winner chicken dinner. But it doesn't look good. My mom saves all her fuel receipts for her 2011 TDI in case VW wants to deny a possible HPFP failure.

And fwiw, Subarus command a premium (not as much as a Tdi), used, in a lot of western states. Not here in Georgia obviously. If the NEW 2012 Impreza gets its stated 27/36 MPG with AWD, it might be a winner. I only bring the Impreza up due to it's AWD system and wagon style, and the OP lives in Colorado. I don't work for nor have ever owned a Subaru.

The Prius has the room of a Corolla and the driving dynamics of a cardboard box. Then, Toyota asks you for $10K more. Genius. Unless you're into saving snails, deciduous trees, and hoot owls. And it does have a big hind end for fitment of the Coexist stickers

I've owned diesels, VWs, and LRs most of my life btw.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
I see the TDI/VW fan boys are strong here. No one must have issues with HPFP, window regulators, trunk latches, EGR, coils, electrical gremlins, lights, water ingress, dealerships, etc, Worth and actual selling price is a far different matter. Would you buy a 2003 TDI with 150-180K for $8-12K?
Nope, no problem with the fuel pump, window regulators, trunk latches, or the rest. I clean the intake/EGR on the ALH's when I do the timing belt.

Dealerships can suck no matter what the brand. I have a good VW dealer near me, a buddy of mine is not so lucky. He has the better Chevy dealer though.

I would not spend the money that an ALH used is selling for, but it is hard to deny that they are selling for that much. Which is why I bought the new CR Golf.
Old June 30th, 2015, 02:39 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I have a 2011 tdi sportwagen (eeyore as it is grey) and it gets very high 30s on mostly highway with the six speed stick. Bone stock no options other than steelies with snow tires and rubber mats and mudflaps.

I would absolutely make sure to get the extended warranty ($1800 and change from Chris at VW Langhorne who is also the low cost seller on tdiclub.com) as the HPFP is a known issue and is insane money to fix (although it happens to only a very few of them).

Great comfortable car.
Resurrect, got a notice from VW that they are extending the HPFP warranty on this part till over 100K from factory.

Spread the word, especially to those friends of yours who shelled out of pocket for these repairs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tdi