Old June 16th, 2016, 05:17 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I'm not sure what your point is regarding resistance. This clown was on several lists but apparently there is a time limit as to being on the list or how long it is shared. He also worked as a security subcontractor for DHS while on the list. One issue I could think of is people are mistakenly placed on the list all the time and getting off of it is tough. Ted Kennedy was on the list for quite a while and he was a senator w/ a security clearance. I have a very common name and because of that I raised a red flag every time I traveled for the first two years after 9-11. If you knew about me and my background it makes it even more comical. My point is there is no real appeal process if you are mistakenly placed on this list and if you are on there by mistake should you be required to suspend your Constitutional rights till some bureaucrat fixes it? As for the FBI check itself it yields 3 different results. 1) Cleared - Transfer the gun to the customer 2) Denied - Don't transfer the gun 3) Delay - The FBI gets 5 days to approve or deny the purchase Explination If somebody is on the watch list hopefully somebody is actually minding the store and conducting further checks. Sounds like this didn't even get a delay.
No malice meant ... All I was doing was asking what the sticking point in expansion of background check to no-fly. I was not aware there isn't a process to get off the list.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2016, 05:54 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Ol' Omar here actually had an "assault" rifle because that is what he did with it - assault people. I have several ar platform rifles as well as other self loading rifles and various hand guns. None of them are "assault rifles" because I have never assaulted anyone with them. I do however, use them for sport shooting, hunting and I have on more than one occasion defended my family with them. Which would classify them as a PDW or personal defense weapon.

I have several hammers and none off them are assault hammers. But if I did decide to whack the annoying asshole neighbor behind me in the head with my hammer then it would be in fact an "assault weapon"

Get it? Got it? Good.
Old June 16th, 2016, 07:46 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Well, well... what have we here: Gun Shop Reported 'Suspicious' Omar Mateen to FBI - Breitbart

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2016, 08:08 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I'm sure somewhere in the FBI HQ there is a political correctness memo originating from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave that played a roll in this. Remember this waste of time from the same address:
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:16 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
This speaks for itself:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4086426682.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	152084   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-303673203.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	152085  

Name:	image-453844227.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	152086  
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:23 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
If this is corroborated, wow.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:25 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Russell,
What's your point? It sounds like a Debbie Was-a-man Schultz or HuffPo quote. It is apples to bananas.

There is also no waiting periods for abortions, tattoos or ordering 5 pounds of fried food. You can also buy ammonia nitrate, diesel fuel and rent a Ryder truck without a waiting period. How much government do you want in your life? I'm not trying to sound like a dick but come on.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There have been an awful . of images floating around FB and elsewhere comparing GC to other things
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stupid-liberals-on-guns-and-abortion.png
Views:	45
Size:	508.1 KB
ID:	152088  
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:22 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Russell, What's your point? It sounds like a Debbie Was-a-man Schultz or HuffPo quote. It is apples to bananas. There is also no waiting periods for abortions, tattoos or ordering 5 pounds of fried food. You can also buy ammonia nitrate, diesel fuel and rent a Ryder truck without a waiting period. How much government do you want in your life? I'm not trying to sound like a dick but come on.
I found the regulations behind those benign activities both pathetic and ironic when compared to the limited regulations (or enforcement of) on gun control. I am not anti-gun (own three), but believe what we have in place is lacking. There is little reason to imply Omar would have moved on to Plan B if his purchase was delayed or denied. The masses take the path of least resistance. Note, I didn't say all do.
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:29 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
I'm sure somewhere in the FBI HQ there is a political correctness memo originating from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave that played a roll in this. Remember this waste of time from the same address:
Considering the Homeland Security Advisory Council Subcommittee on Countering Violent Extremism submitted a report to Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson recommending that the DHS avoid using Muslim terminology like the words 'sharia' and 'jihad', yes, I'm sure something exists like what you are thinking might.

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2016 08:32 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
That is the problem with Facebook and the like. It's reposting sound bites that sound good but are complete BS. People don't think anymore. Too many people trying to play chess when they know the rules for checkers.

-Jeff
I want to say drudgereport.com linked an article that showed a study proving 60% of reposted links aren't even read by folks reposting them. Everybody just wants to seem like they are aware of the Goins ons in the world and tries to be the most political of their friends out there on the line. The study was in response to a joke/hoax article saying 70% of repost/shares weren't read by folks reposting/sharing.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:33 PM
javelinadave
-
-

If he couldn't buy a gun he could/would have driven a truck thru the place possibly causing even more deaths. Waiting periods or any other BS laws don't do anything other than inconveniencing law abiding peoples. A psycho won't be stopped by any laws. BTW statistics show that waiting periods deter nobody. Here is another wacky statistic.... If you remove the statistical gun deaths from Chicago, Detroit, NJ, NY and LA the US gun death rates as a nation would rank approx 150 out of 200 nations. Those are all Democrat party strongholds. Based on that should we ban registered Democrats from owning guns?
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:01 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
If he couldn't buy a gun he could/would have driven a truck thru the place possibly causing even more deaths. Waiting periods or any other BS laws don't do anything other than inconveniencing law abiding peoples. A psycho won't be stopped by any laws. BTW statistics show that waiting periods deter nobody. Here is another wacky statistic.... If you remove the statistical gun deaths from Chicago, Detroit, NJ, NY and LA the US gun death rates as a nation would rank approx 150 out of 200 nations. Those are all Democrat party strongholds. Based on that should be ban registered Democrats from owning guns?
Humans have a cooling off period whether fueled with passion or anger. Not so much for the deranged.
Transposing statistics from those inter-cities have zero correlation to Orlando. Yes, inter-cities vote democratic. There is a commonality on who are killing each other. I lived in Oakland for 9 years and am enjoying a Dalwhinny scotch in Newark this very moment.
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

This is great.

http://www.techly.com.au/2016/06/16/...anly-possible/

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:21 PM
Sms65965
Susan
1986/Ninety

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
This speaks for itself:

I understand what you're saying but this is the fallacy of false equivalence. It's a common fallacy resulting from anecdotal similarity which is pointed out as equal. The claim of equivalence doesn't work because the similarity is based on an oversimplification or omission of other factors. It only takes a passing similarity for the logical error to be used. You see this all the time when opposing political parties accuse each other of equally wrong actions...like tit for tat. Everyone uses this form of justification, but it's considered an error in logic.
Old June 17th, 2016, 10:07 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
DHS Report Calls for Rejecting Terms ‘Jihad,’ Sharia’ Here is an article today talking about what I mentioned. Also interesting is DHS stating in their report that white supremacists, sovereign citizen, and anarchists groups posing a threat but FAILS to mention left wing groups as posing an issue.

Priorities.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old June 17th, 2016, 12:45 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
If he couldn't buy a gun he could/would have driven a truck thru the place possibly causing even more deaths. Waiting periods or any other BS laws don't do anything other than inconveniencing law abiding peoples. A psycho won't be stopped by any laws. BTW statistics show that waiting periods deter nobody. Here is another wacky statistic.... If you remove the statistical gun deaths from Chicago, Detroit, NJ, NY and LA the US gun death rates as a nation would rank approx 150 out of 200 nations. Those are all Democrat party strongholds. Based on that should we ban registered Democrats from owning guns?
C'mon. That has absolutely nothing to do with politics or this debate. That's just a factor of those areas being population centers and typically have a higher frequency of crime.
Old June 17th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
C'mon. That has absolutely nothing to do with politics or this debate. That's just a factor of those areas being population centers and typically have a higher frequency of crime.
And liberals. Come on now, you know it to be true!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old June 17th, 2016, 01:09 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Brutal. So these guys killing each other is ok with you? Fact of life? The lowest city for gun violence in the US is gun rich Plano TX. I bet there are more ARs as there are bibles. Northern suburb of Dallas TX, the largest population center of TX. It has everything to do with political demographics.
Oh and Yoda knows of what he speaks and so does Overlander, Daddymower and Dave.
Old June 17th, 2016, 01:30 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Ha no, it's not ok that people are killing each other but having been a lifelong new yorker I can tell you that the people committing gun violence in NYC aren't using ARs nor do they identity or care about where they sit on the political spectrum. 20+ million people in the NYC area.. you're gonna get more people killing each other than Plano, TX. Has nothing to do with their political beliefs- Liberal or Conservative but i guess we'll just disagree on that. I know plenty of liberal responsible gun owners and I know many conservative responsible gun owners.
Old June 17th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Ha no, it's not ok that people are killing each other but having been a lifelong new yorker I can tell you that the people committing gun violence in NYC aren't using ARs nor do they identity or care about where they sit on the political spectrum. 20+ million people in the NYC area.. you're gonna get more people killing each other than Plano, TX. Has nothing to do with their political beliefs- Liberal or Conservative but i guess we'll just disagree on that. I know plenty of liberal responsible gun owners and I know many conservative responsible gun owners.
So you just made that case that all those inner city deaths are mostly conducted with weapons other than assault rifles. So what is this about? What's the city, state, national statistic to support the assault weapon ban? 100 pistol deaths to 1 assault rifle death?

What's the motive for all those urban weapon based homicides? poverty? substance abuse?

What's the homicide distribution statistics iof gun deaths for white-on-white, white-on-black, black-on-white, black-on-black, blue-on-black and black-on-blue deaths? i'll bet that would be an illuminating and yet totally predictable histogram.

For all the academics in Hillary's camp, one would think that would have some statisticians and Six Sigma certified analysts that understand root cause analysis to help them form meaningful policy proposals.

------ Follow up post added June 17th, 2016 01:45 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
This speaks for itself:
regarding pet vs gun waits, I'm am an advocate for mandatory sanity checks and neighbor endorsement for beagle adoptions. If neighbors endorse, their sanity also needs to be checked.

I would also like to see 3-5 year jail time for beagle owners that give or sell their beagles to first time pet owners.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat