Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 11th, 2014, 09:56 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Oregon to Maine roadtrip- ideas and timing

Im fairly confident im pulling the trigger on a VW Van purchase in Bend, OR. Planning on flying out with the wifey, and making the trek back. Oddly enough, these vans have been on HER wish list for years so its a bit of a Bday present and surprise. This will be mid October.

I should note its a pretty modern, full camper from 2003 (eurovan model, VR6 motor, 205 HP)..last year they imported the VW vans, sigh,...

I have 7, MAYBE 8 days to make the trip back. I know Yellowstone is something we would like to see, and Mt Rushmore I guess. I figure yall probably have some thoughts on the trip back, timing etc. I know zero about the west and mid west and I know its just MASSIVE. Been doing lots of reading but figured maybe this is a good place to get some ideas/advice.

Cheers!

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2014, 10:08 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
yeah.. don't go to Durango .. I did a cross country trip and my van is still there … that was in 94! steep mountains old vw motor didnt mix.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

I envy you. I have a crush on those old vans with the air cooled VW engines. Those curves roof windows may be part of the reason I like my 110!

Regarding timing. We lived near yellowstone for years and just heard from a good friend that theres snow on the Bitterroots today! so if your planning on going through that way I would do it very soon. Also, north winds through s. dakota as you leave MT to go to rushmore are gonna mess with that van if theres any weather. I pulled a camper back and forth through that area and ummm. damn scary with blowing snow. Im just saying, if you have a week of decent weather coming up you should take it.

Looking forward to seeing the pics! Congrats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2014, 10:10 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Im fairly confident im pulling the trigger on a VW Van purchase
. . .
I figure yall probably have some thoughts on the trip back
My only advice would be to pick the flattest route possible in a VW van! Sounds like a sweet adventure though.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Wait didn't you just have a kid? Uh...a month ago...or was that someone else here?
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:27 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Wait didn't you just have a kid? Uh...a month ago...or was that someone else here?
Well, that was SORTA me. Time flies my man. Little dude just turned 1 in June so mamabear is ready to leave the house for a little bit and my older guy (3 y/o) is fine hanging with his grandparents.

BUT yes, im spending their college money. I just expect them to both grow up wicked smaht like their mom and get scholarships

And really, part of the motivation for this purchase is to start getting the little dudes out in the wilderness as young as we can and you simply cannot beat the VW full campers for what they are.

Appreciate the advice above as well, taking good notes. Keep em coming.

J
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Ok, have fun...bun number three will be taking the trip back! and heck anywhere on this trip is good...it's the company! Enjoy! (man does time fly)
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:33 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
yeah.. don't go to Durango .. I did a cross country trip and my van is still there that was in 94! steep mountains old vw motor didnt mix.
Or, do go to Durango. I have a great spot for it...

In all seriousness, check out the dry lake bed near Steens Mountain OR. It could make for an awesome overnight. A week is not much time for an older VW, if you plan on any sightseeing along the way.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:33 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Ok, have fun...bun number three will be taking the trip back! and heck anywhere on this trip is good...it's the company! Enjoy! (man does time fly)
I was going to take the southern rout from San Diego and hit you up, but that deal fell through. Hopefully for the better. You should just come to Maine...

------ Follow up post added September 11th, 2014 10:35 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Or, do go to Durango. I have a great spot for it...

In all seriousness, check out the dry lake bed near Steens Mountain OR. It could make for an awesome overnight. A week is not much time for an older VW, if you plan on any sightseeing along the way.
I should have specified (just edited) that it a low miles 2003. BUT im still scared I will get stranded!
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Bend Oregon. Isn't that where Quinton lives? Maybe you can drive Carmen's RR home....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Bend Oregon. Isn't that where Quinton lives? Maybe you can drive Carmen's RR home....
Please. don't shit on this thread with that Quinton/Carmen/RRC nonsense.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Someone's awfully sensitive. Raub..... Man up!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:55 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Its not like its an old waterboxer van - now those engines are huge steaming piles of crap. I wouldn't take a day trip to the beach in one of those without AAA+ and nothing to do later in the day.. But an 03 with a VR6? you'll be just fine. Not sure if they have them on the eurovans as the plumbing is a little different but just make sure the crack pipe has been replaced. Have you had a good Indy VW shop or $tealership do a PPI on the van? How many miles are on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:57 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I dont want to derail my own thread but Quinton offered to look at the van for me and spent an hour with the current owner, sent me a ton of pictures and about 10 video clips. I probably would have pursued the van any further if I didnt have someone else look at it...this was before the shitshow with the RR and I havent had time to read that thread- but he was nice enough to do that for me and never asked for anything in return FWIW.

Lets talk more about my trip. Im trying to work backwards. Our last night on the road will be in Buffalo (niagra falls) or maybe syracuse to see friends. So backwards from there, looks like Chicago could be the night before (maybe do a nice hotel that night). So, I dont want to do Minneapolis- whats a good day trip west from Chicago? We could go from Yellowstone to Denver and then across to Chicago but that a LONG haul (14 +)....and I guess I would miss Mt Rushmore that way.
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:58 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Sounds like an epic trip and I know how you can get cross country cheap....... hint..... hint.....
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:05 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I rode in the VW with the owner. It is mint. Faults? It had a 4-6in tear in the roof gasket which he has nicely repaired (he offered to replace the entire thing), it could use an oil change, it has a small smudge on the headliner and the fridge may be due for a service within the next year or two. He has all the service records. It looks extremely well maintained and he explained that he had difficulties allowing children to ride in it...including his own. Have fun!

I was the one who told Quinton to call you, and happened to be there the day he went...it's a nice truck.
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:08 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
Have you had a good Indy VW shop or $tealership do a PPI on the van? How many miles are on it?
Its off for a PPI at a really reputable place tomorrow- German Master Tech...they seem to do VW, audi and Porsche stuff. 3 VW master techs on staff. A family friend and Paul Kennington (PaulK) both recommended them. Hopefully worth 210 bucks. Seems like cheap money in the scheme of things..

The van has 70k on it. The tranny's on these things ARE known to be problematic. GoWesty basically says if it didn't implode by 50K miles you got a "good one" and should be ok....Ill spend 1500 for a tranny oil cooler when I get home just in case though and hopefully can plan out the trip so Im not driving her hard.
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:10 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Take some time in Bend, check out the local beer scene, and if you get the chance, do a short day trip on the Cascade Lakes Highway Loop before heading east.

It's not a silver Eurovan with a vanity plate that says something like "ROVN" on it, is it?

Are you wanting to see things in Oregon just on your way out, or do you plan to take it slow and really see things? I could point you in the direction of some interesting things if you don't mind getting off the path for a bit. Oregon is 2/3 desert, and it can take some time to get from one place to another going east from Bend. You'll be in some empty places.
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:11 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
I rode in the VW with the owner. It is mint. Faults? It had a 4-6in tear in the roof gasket which he has nicely repaired (he offered to replace the entire thing), it could use an oil change, it has a small smudge on the headliner and the fridge may be due for a service within the next year or two. He has all the service records. It looks extremely well maintained and he explained that he had difficulties allowing children to ride in it...including his own. Have fun!
Im so confused by this LOL- i mean, not by what you write but is it just THAT small of a world or am I missing something? thats been known to happen from time to time!
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:17 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I was there looking at mine on the same day ...you're going to like it...and it's a beautiful part of the country.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
trip